ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

True Sine Wave Invertors, FM Modulators..

.....etc.

Where is the best (and hopefully cheapest) place to get these from ?

I am going about installing a PS2/Xbox in my car with an LCD TFT Monitor and I want to connect the sound to the standard head unit. After discussions with Pete_172 it has been suggested that I can do this via an FM modulator as the standard head unit is lacking an AUX in socket. What should I be looking for when buying one of these ?

Pete suggested Maplins for the Inverter, anywhere else to look ?

Do I need anything else ?

Where is the best place to mount the PS2/Xbox ? Bearing in mind that I need to use the controllers for them.

Any info would be mucho mucho appreciated !

Dai

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Yeah, although its quite a narrow band output.

ie you tune your radio to 88.3-88.7

Obviously if a "normal radio station" broadcasts on that freq, you re-tune.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

The quality will be the same as a decent signal on an FM radio station.

Like I said the only downside to that particular unit, is if you set it to 88.5 for example and then drive into an area where a radio station broadcasts on 88.5, you will need to reset the modulator and then tune the head unit into it. In theory you get 88.3, 88.4, 88.5, 88.6 and 88.7.

There are other FM modulators that allow you to set anywhere between 87.5 and 107 etc, thus allowing more chance of avoiding radio station frequencies.

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers mate, that makes perfect sense to me.

Am I right in assuming that all I need is an Inverter and FM Modulator to make this work then ?

And a screen yer. From my experience though fm modulators are crap. I picked up a lot of interference but this could be how i installed it?

I have a screen already mate, bought it this week so that is sorted.

:D

If I dont use the FM Modulator then I dont have any other options ?

Who has used one of these ? How did you find the quality ?

Would really appreciate any information about FM Modulators from people who have used them. Anything at all.

Cheers,

Dai

As Ive said before if youre going to use one get one that connects to the aerial cable and not one that is "wireless", tend to get better quality that way.

I can comment on the invertors as i work for maplins, just be sure to get a 600w one and 12volts, dont pick up the 24v one. Also they fluctuate in price every month or so, so ask in store what price they are at, and have they been cheaper, then figure out whether or not if its a good deal.

its a confusing way to merchandise, but we put items on offer for 28days, then off for 28days, etc etc big old confusing cycle.

sextons do fm modulators btw

clarion, jvc or directed fm modulators are generally the best in terms of quality and also come with an inline on/off swich so you can turn them off when you want to use the radio...

avoid the cheaper centurion ones as they do suffer badly with interference..

look at paying £70-80 for a good fm modulator

paul

http://www.audio-one.co.ukwww.audio-one.co.uk

Id have thought that you could splice into the cd changer cable if you so wished and switch out the audio from the changer and switch in the audio from an xbox/ps2 etc.... I havent studied the cable at all but Id be fairly sure it could be done - levels would have to be checked but it would give you the best possible input into the system.

the ps2/xbox could go in the glove box? or maybe attatched to a frame under the dash, if you see what i mean? so it sort of hangs underneath. would be easy to get in and out, wouldnt move around too much and would be easy access to the controllers!

you cant splice into a changer cable its shielded and your gonna introduce a world of interference..

if you use rf controllers then you can mount the xbox/ps2 anywhere you want... xbox is a better option as when modded can store films,games and music...

if you can buy a replacement headunit with aux for 70-80 then go for it as itll improve the overall quality of your system

paul

http://www.audio-one.co.ukwww.audio-one.co.uk

I didnt mean I could buy a head unit for £70-£80 but it would go a good way towards buying one.

The problem is that I have the standard head unit and cd autochanger which I dont really want to replace at the moment unless I could get a head unit to work with the exisiting autochanger ? Is that possible ? I know the autochanger is an Alpine but I hate their head units.

I am unsure what to do now. I was going to get an FM Modulator for around £25 and then mount the PS2/Xbox under the seat. I want to be able to use the PS2/Xbox in the house too so it has to be easily removed when needed.

I suppose I could get a headunit which supported MP3s which would do away with the need for a autochanger anyway ? I would like to keep the autochanger if possible tho but I cant see it working with other makes ?

Still thinking of the best way to install this, will it be easy enough to do myself with the help of my father or shall I get the professionals to do it ?

I want to try and have no visible wires or as little as possible. Will they run down through the air vents ?

Also, what is the best way to connect the inverter to the power supply ? Splice into the cigarette lighter power ?

Can someone give me a quick DIY guide or post a link where I can read up on this ?

The cigarette lighter cables might not be able to handle the current tbh. Might be worth connecting up somesort of remote turn on switch, could easily be done with a relay. You really need to sort out which inverter youre going for before anyone can give you advice on where to take the power from as well need to know the current ratings of the unit.

It would be the inverter you suggested most likely mate as I have been told to get the True Sine Wave Inverter as others are not up to the job ?

Polo + Micra

those inverters produce a modified sine wave (actually square)

sometimes they produce a lot of "noise" when used with electronic equipment