ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trying to obtaining car insurance when unemployed!

Clio 182
For anyone recently made redundant, be aware that some companies will not even quote for you! :mad:

Greenlight have refused to quote for me stating I must be in full time employment.

Adrian Flux wanted £650, stating because I'm unemployed most places won't touch me... (I'm not young, have a clean licence, full ncb etc).

Went with APlan who were most helpful! :star:

Be interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced problems, I'm so angry...

Should have just told them you were a housewife/homemaker when they asked for your proffession tbh. Same difference IMO seeing as housewives are effectively unemployed too.

Clio 182
Yeah why is it that they are considered ok and I'm not! I can't even describe how angry I am...

You could work all your life then get made redundant in a recession and all of a sudden you are treated like a second class citizen...

Clio 182
I agree with Turkish, housewive's don't get quoted that high compared so moe professions.

Why is that though? The average stay at home housewife I see driving their husband's 4x4 can't even bloody park let alone drive whilst concentrating with their screaming brats in the back...

Yeah why is it that they are considered ok and I'm not! I can't even describe how angry I am...

You could work all your life then get made redundant in a recession and all of a sudden you are treated like a second class citizen...

It is BS tbh, you're no more risk as a result of your work status IMO. Only difference between you and a housewife at present is that the state is supporting you rather than a husband, farce really.

Why is that though? The average stay at home housewife I see driving their husband's 4x4 can't even bloody park let alone drive whilst concentrating with their screaming brats in the back...
I've no idea tbh. I think it comes down to stress & risk (or something)

Clio 182
It is BS tbh, you're no more risk as a result of your work status IMO. Only difference between you and a housewife at present is that the state is supporting you rather than a husband, farce really.

and if I had a husband supporting me, I'd probably have more money so I'd be out in the car more! On JSA people can't afford the bloody petrol!

Exactly, lol. Seems madness, if you can pay the premium your working status shouldn't even be taken into account. What if you were retired (I know people who were in a position to retire in their mid 30's thanks to business ventures paying out), or a lottery winner, neither are employed and must have insurance.

182trophy & Williams
think logically and you'll see why the majority of insurers wont touch you...........risk

Car is covering the same distance, kept in the same location, same driver who's simply been made redundant but can cover the cost of the premium. How are they overnight more of a risk because they're currently unemployed and seeking another job?

PH1 172
Think its more to do with the fact that seeing you unemployed makes them think sh!t how will he/she pay for this e.g. excess if involved in an accident (hope you never have one) and things like that so yeah you may have saved for the premium but then the insurers look at the bigger picture so them bumping the price up is them covering their backsides!!!

Clio 182
think logically and you'll see why the majority of insurers wont touch you...........risk

Like?

Car is covering the same distance, kept in the same location, same driver who's simply been made redundant but can cover the cost of the premium. How are they overnight more of a risk because they're currently unemployed and seeking another job?

Exactly, it's unfair :dapprove: ie I'm not commuting in London rush hour traffic twice a day which I could be if employed... I'm sat at home with my car most days and it's not left here on it's own while I'm off working... Plus Greenlight covered more high risk activities like track driving!

Think its more to do with the fact that seeing you unemployed makes them think sh!t how will he/she pay for this e.g. excess if involved in an accident (hope you never have one) and things like that so yeah you may have saved for the premium but then the insurers look at the bigger picture so them bumping the price up is them covering their backsides!!!

Yeah but that would be my problem, they wouldn't lose out as my car just wouldn't get fixed if I couldn't pay the excess. Plus if they have the premium in full and not installments, they won't lose out on the policy.

as if being made redundant wasn't enough! ... but then again they dont care

I know, it's as if people only give you the time of day if you have a job, otherwise you get treated like scum!

Also, what happens if you are made redundant mid policy with some of these insurers that won't deal with unemployed people???

Renaultsport 172
There are higher chance of unemploy people faking their injuries and deliberatly causing accident in order to claims compensation and income.

There are higher chance of unemploy people faking their injuries and deliberatly causing accident in order to claims compensation and income.

So the second someone becomes unemployed they turn into a criminal? Also the second someone becomes unemployed does it instantly mean they are broke? Think about it you're assuming numerous things which blatantly aren't true for the most part. There may be some people who would try their arm at getting a pay out but most wouldn't, not everyone is destitute the second they get handed their P45.

182trophy & Williams
Moron. I've been made redundant 6 weeks ago. Does that mean I was less likely to crash 7 weeks ago :S

FFS.

Not my fault your unemployed mate, dunno how you took that offensively. I don't see how noone here understands why insurers dont like unemployed people, the risk factor to underwriters is mahoosive compared to an employed person. Some people saying some stupid sh!t in here.

It's A Reno
It could be that because you're unemployed, they assume the car will be used more as you have more free time instead of spending 37 to 40 hours of your week in a factory/ shop / behind a desk, where the car is sat at home or in a carpark.

Just a thought.

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!
For anyone recently made redundant, be aware that some companies will not even quote for you! :mad:

Greenlight have refused to quote for me stating I must be in full time employment.

Adrian Flux wanted £650, stating because I'm unemployed most places won't touch me... (I'm not young, have a clean licence, full ncb etc).

Went with APlan who were most helpful! :star:

Be interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced problems, I'm so angry...

I've never had any problems ever getting inusrance in all my (homemaking, student and generally not working) days...

:approve: