ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ttethering? does i pad have to be the 3g version?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Afternoon all,

im spending the day trying to sort my iphone deal out,

I have ordered an ipad, its the wifi only model and im now unsure if i have done the rite thing and if i should of maybe gone for the wifi and 3g version.

I have just canceled my o2 simplicity plan and signed up with three on one of there monthly sim only deals, when doing this it had an option of an add on for tethering. Im not clued up on this so please bear with me.... am i correct in thinking this means i could share the data alowance from my iphone sim only deal with my ipad? And how does this work, would you connect the phone to the ipad to do it, or would i of needed to get the wifi and 3g version to do this?

Appologies if that isnt easy to read, im trying to get my head around it myself.

Thanks in advance for any help/clarification anyone can give me on this

Austin

330Ci cab
i havent got an iphone, but you can tether to any phone. you dont need 3G, i made that same mistake last year as i didnt have a clue. someone will be along to give you the rundown of how to do it with an iphone shortly i reckon

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Great, cheers mate. I spent hours yesterday looking around on the net on apple etc and finally thought i had decided so ordered. Today im feeling unsure haha, the wifi and 3g version is £100 more and although its quite a large amount extra im starting to think it might be worth it in the long run.

Yaris Hybrid
I had a wifi-only Ipad 3 and had no problems at all using my Galaxy S2 as a wifi hotspot using my sim-only pay monthly O2 deal.

The cool thing as well is that unlike some other networks, O2 didn't charge additional for tethering. So it used my existing data allowance.

I think I am right in saying that other networks like Vodafone charge you for an additional 500mb the second you tether another device which IMO is a con. No idea about the O2 iphone contracts though as they are slightly different from the regular "smart phone" contract.

AK

M240i
Re: Ttethering? does i pad have to be the 3g version?

essentially it works by your phone creating a wifi signal which you connect to from your iPad.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Ttethering? does i pad have to be the 3g version?

essentially it works by your phone creating a wifi signal which you connect to from your iPad.

Thanks AK, so say im out and my iphone has 3g, my ipad can pick that up from my iphone and allow me to access the web?

330Ci cab
you have to turn the facility on first on your phone. for what its worth, that £100 difference can be better used for storage than a black bar and sim card tray that will never be used, i gaurantee it

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
What would GPS be used for? map directions? if so, would that mean you could use the ipad as a sat nav even if its just the wifi version?

Another random question or 2,

How would you normally put films on an ipad, itunes or is there another way?
If you have music on your iphone can they automatically sync to the ipad like you can with photos using the photo stream function?

when i said 3g, i meant the data version, think i may have caused confusion?

133/225/CLS AMG
All the phone does when you tether is send out a standard wi-fi signal that can be picked up by any wi-fi device.

So if it's an iPad it'll just search it out as a wi-fi signal like it would a router at home or free wi-fi at a hotel. :)

So to the OP, no it doesn't have to be 3G. :)