ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tuning Chips and Ecu's ???

182 Cup Soon !!!
what should i be buying??? the BB tuning ECU, a Dastek programable piggi back ecu? or the GDI SMT6 piggi back chip??

Really after all the little mods on the car tiying together along with a raised rev limit..

Megane225FF
SMT6 piggi back chip - wont raise your rev limit but will get the most out of your mods
ECU - plug n' play, cheaper version. But if you're not gonna do loads of mods, probably your best bet.

182 Cup Soon !!!
i see. The group N ecu from BB does rais the rev limmit tho, is this a big help? and if this unit is cheaper how come the piggi back chips cant rais rev limits??

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
raised rev limit only really usfull if you have engine mods that give benefit at higher rpms, cams etc...

seen most cars on the rollers drop off power at 6500-7000 rpm so not much help after that...

piggy backs cant raise it as the dont actually interfear with the ecu, just the signals into it... only making changes to fueling and igntion where required.

Lionel Richie
we do custom remaps suited to your specific car (including raised rev limit)

raised rev limit is important, it allows you to hold a gear longer on track (even road) when cornering

example, you have a corner that is top of 3rd on the limiter (7200rpm) but you can take the same corner in 4th (lower rpm) but what happens when you exit the corner?? you can either drive through the corner and bounce the car off the limiter the whole way through and then grab 4th on exit, or you can take the corner in 4th but then exit and have to wait for the engine to pick up

a raised rev limit solves this problem, it allows you say an extra 500rpm to play with, so you can take the corner in 3rd and not bounce off the limiter and be straight into 4th on exit

makes sense in my book!

i don't like piggybacks for 3 reasons

1 - you're cutting into the car loom (not good if you have warranty)
2 - you're not actually changing the car's ECU signals, you're interupting them
3 - they're more expensive than a remap of the car's existing ECU

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Renaultsport ECU doesnt increase top end hp but holds it to 7.5k without tail off. As Fred describes just gives you the option to hold gear longer.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
I sell both types (piggyback and ECU flash) and still some customers want the piggyback.. its simply another option for the customer should they wish it. They all have pros and cons if you have a balanaced view.

your chaging the signals (voltages) from the sensors into the ECU, I dont see how that can be a problem as the result is the correct fueling for the circumstances. 1000's of Dastec and Perfect Power units have been sold all over the world using this method.

yes they are more expensive initially, but those who want to change their engine tune, (say add cams) can then remap for a fraction of the cost of the initial install.

I agree it would be nice not to cut the loom, but its neat and can be easily returned to std without a trace really.

182 Cup, (2nd one)
We have a group N-ECU, decat and prospeed exhaust system with closed ram-air feed piper venom induction system.

After the mods were fitted every gear change @ 7000 rpm left the next gear @ peak torque for the engine, without any power drop off at the top end.

Before the mods, when you changed gear (bouncing off the limiter) you would not be in the power band for the next gear.

The modded car with the reduced weight of 998kg feels like s**t off a stick.

For the money we have spent, the car has had a vast improvment and could be easily returned to standard!!!

Saying all this, as speed addicts we are about to fit Schrick Billet Camshafts & a OMEX 600 or SMT ECU.

Lionel Richie
i wouldn't bother with the OMEX unless you're intending to go further in future (throttle bodies), we developed it to run with the F4R's stupid timing pattern

as i said piggybacks are pointless when the OE ECU is far superior on its own with a custom remap (not a downloaded flash, like some companies sell)

whats stupid about an industry standard 60-2 trigger pattern?

But agree, stick with the OE ecu for as long as possible as it has superior processing power.

182 Cup, (2nd one)
Thanks for the advice fred.

I will pm you about our suspension if you dont mind.

Charlotte

Lionel Richie
no they didn't, hence why Roamer's had a timing pattern on the crank pulley (500), the 600 didn't have it until we had it developed

182 Cup, (2nd one)
Andy GDI said:
raised rev limit only really usfull if you have engine mods that give benefit at higher rpms, cams etc...

seen most cars on the rollers drop off power at 6500-7000 rpm so not much help after that...

piggy backs cant raise it as the dont actually interfear with the ecu, just the signals into it... only making changes to fueling and igntion where required.

Why was the raised rev limit of use to me?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
charlie b said:
Why was the raised rev limit of use to me?

if you needed to take it higher for specific reasons... some of which fred has outlined... or to make use of different cams that work better at higher revs etc

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
the biggest problem has been with the old style clios and renualt 5's they use a different pattern 20-2-2 iirc and the gems software cant understand that. you need to use a 36-1 trigger wheel on them to get them to work.

182 Cup, (2nd one)
Andy GDI said:
if you needed to take it higher for specific reasons... some of which fred has outlined... or to make use of different cams that work better at higher revs etc

Please can you explain as i am not a mechanic and it may help other people on the forum
thanks
charl :D

FredYozzasport said:
no they didn't, hence why Roamer's had a timing pattern on the crank pulley (500), the 600 didn't have it until we had it developed

is that why you just type in 57 - 2 in the timing setup, as per the manual for a 60-2 trigger pattern? :p

182 Cup, (2nd one)
I can see this is getting too technical for the mortals on cliosport lol.
Thanks for the help.
charl

Last edited: