ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo a 172

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Does much need to be upgraded on a standard 172 sport if you want to have a turbo fitted? If this can be done does anyone know how much this might cost?:D

£6k for a proper job lowering compresion pistons etc. Thats drive in and out though with an uprated clucth.
The clucth is a week point thats one week point and the engine to make any more than about 210hp needs lowered compression pistons and thats costs.

Have a look at BB Perfomance Tunning, they do the conversion however costs around £7,5k and i think that K-Tec also do a conversion

MERCEDES CLS AMG
You can buy an electronic supercharger off e-bay for about £100. This will add at least 30 - 40 hp onto the 172 engine.

406 passion wagon..
Not too much if i recall. Battery gets repositioned, minor strengthening inside the engine. Have a look at both K-Tec racing and BB Performance tuning. Costs are likely to be 5-7K about what I paid for my 172 :-o

Would love to get mine turbo'd but too expensive. Good luck.

Karl

05 1.2 Dynamique
electronic supercharger? 30-40bhp? £100 i don't know what an electric supercharger would do? doesn't the engine need to be turbo'd already for a supercharger to work? i'm a bit cluless in this area but don't sound right.....

BMW 320d SE
j3ned said:
You can buy an electronic supercharger off e-bay for about £100. This will add at least 30 - 40 hp onto the 172 engine.
PMSL at more quality items from Ebay! :D

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
bobbobadobob said:
electronic supercharger? 30-40bhp? £100 i don't know what an electric supercharger would do? doesn't the engine need to be turbo'd already for a supercharger to work? i'm a bit cluless in this area but don't sound right.....

He's extracting the urine mate...

MERCEDES CLS AMG
bobbobadobob said:

The supercharger plugs directly into the cigarette lighter and then attaches to the air intake pipe from the air filter. When you flick the button it sends a 12v current to the charger which then kicks into action ( make sure your seat belt is on as it will snap your neck ) when the charger starts winding up it will create a loud screaming noise which will terrify other drivers - when the forced air hits the throttle body it will spin the wheels no matter what gear your in. I fitted one on my 172 and took it to Donnington park last week were i raced a BMW CSL - the BM driver could barely keep with me and when i pulled over to show him what i had under the hood he was gobsmacked. You can increase or decrease the bhp the charger supplies by adding 2 x 1.5 volt pencil batteries ( 3 or 4 gives you 60 bhp but it will drink fuel )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPERCHARGER-...011775481QQcategoryZ32094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SLK 350
I actually had one of those superchargers fitted, lowered my 0-60 from 6.5 to 4.5. Raced a boxster s with it fitted and absolutely destroyed it. Well worth the money!

Ph 2 172
I know of some one that did a test on one of these units - it was on a turbo car but it was found that the fan system was not efficiant enough and it created a drag factor thus resulting in power loss.

A normal super charge work in a diff way and thus using the term 'super charger' can/is very misleading.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
First time i fitted one of these Kamann superchargers i wired it up wrong and it actually sent me to another dimension in the space time continuim. I wired the negative terminal to the positve and it created a vortex which sucked me up and sent me to a parallel universe.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
j3ned said:
First time i fitted one of these Kamann superchargers i wired it up wrong and it actually sent me to another dimension in the space time continuim. I wired the negative terminal to the positve and it created a vortex which sucked me up and sent me to a parallel universe.

LOL :D

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
This Electric Supercharger thing seems too good to be true, is it all legit? Wouldn't it effectively cause a lean mixture??? And lastly, if it is all it's cracked up to be, how much power can we really expect to get from it in a 172/182 sport, with other mods, say an r-sport ecu etc???

Cheers people,

KR~

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The electric superchargers are an absolute bargain - The reason Renault are doing so well in Formula 1 at the moment is Pierre upaguysass the Formula 1 team boss needed a few extra horses to get past schumacher in the Ferrari. A quick visit to E-bay sorted the problem out and he has now attached 2 of these electric superchargers to the V12 1200 hp engine in the Renault Formula 1 car - it now produces 1300 bhp which has given them the lead in this years championship

Well done Pierre !!!!

Attachments

• Ren_engine.jpg
    Ren_engine.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
You forgot to mention the ecofeltch valve he had fitted to it which the FIA found and banned. Not only was it giving more power but better fuel efficiency. Would have gotten away with it if it hadnt given the engine note a distinctive "kazoo" type sound.

SLK 350
You could expect around 30bhp and about the same in torque from one of these, but for the real benefit you need an exhaust spinner to help the gases escape more quickly - with an exhaust spinner you could expect maybe 40-50bhp.

You can get an exhaust spinner from - http://www.shoplaser.com/
And a non-compulsary turd twister from - http://www.turdtwister.com

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
j3ned said:

PMSL

call me crazy ... or stoooopid, but I've never understood why these tuning companies don't just use a Megane 225 engine - surely its the same block and would drop straight in?!

As an aside has anyone managed to extract some real power from one of these lumps yet?

Lionel Richie
Megane RS engine is an F4RT and the 172/182 engine is an F4R

the bottom ends are completley different

its all custom work (mounts, driveshafts ECU etc etc)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Fred2001Dynamic said:
Megane RS engine is an F4RT and the 172/182 engine is an F4R

the bottom ends are completley different

its all custom work (mounts, driveshafts ECU etc etc)

PMSL!

sorry.. being childish.. ahem