ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo conversion

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Evening all,
Looking to go ahead with boost on my 172 as it simply does not have enough grunt unless you drive it hard, was looking at low boost then the plan is to fit a complete megane set up once money/time allows but may be a few years away (babies/houses are my main issues :( knowing quite a few people on here own, or have carried out the conversion themselves im hoping someone could answer a few questions for me please :)

ED low boost, how reliable are these kits once fitted, any known weak areas worth upgrading prior to getting the conversion fitted?
Whats the best clutch, as seen so much issues with the standard one fitted, seems to be a hit or miss, i have a new valeo fitted but dont want any issues in a few months, it will be used on track and road, so needs to be user friendly to a certain degree?
How reliable will the gearbox be with 230lbft running through it?

Thanks again

172 Turbo
I've an uprated Helix organic, it's a bit annoying day to day but not as bad as a paddle. I know a couple are still using Valeo's without issue.

Gearbox could die tomorrow, mine required a major rebuild just for standard power.

ED low boost is great, mine has done 9k now from memory

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I've an uprated Helix organic, it's a bit annoying day to day but not as bad as a paddle. I know a couple are still using Valeo's without issue.

Gearbox could die tomorrow, mine required a major rebuild just for standard power.

ED low boost is great, mine has done 9k now from memory
You got a project thread for a look? Id like to get it done but want it to be 100% reliable, i dont do much miles with the car so don't want to be repairing things when i do take it out, its a good low mileage cup thats wanted for nothing, just need more ponies :)

172 Turbo
Did engine dynamics do a discount on these conversions a while back? Group buy :wink:
I've asked Andy for discount before and he's found a little on his price, he knocked 20% off last autumn as they bought in a load of bits and sold them on cheaper.

You got a project thread for a look? Id like to get it done but want it to be 100% reliable, i dont do much miles with the car so don't want to be repairing things when i do take it out, its a good low mileage cup thats wanted for nothing, just need more ponies :smile:
It seems to be reliable, no project thread as bought it complete but know 3 other ED customers and none have issues with LB.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Hey mate, have a look at my build thread.... ED kits are great! Well worth adding some extras to get the best out of it, clutch wise I'm using a Sachs performance clutch, it's spot on... got mine direct from Germany but pure motorsport do them too! Mine has been at around 245bhp and 236ftlb for years now, Nurburgring trips generally driven hard and it loves it [emoji106][emoji106]

535d / t5 caravelle
I've asked Andy for discount before and he's found a little on his price, he knocked 20% off last autumn as they bought in a load of bits and sold them on cheaper.
LB.

Thought they did a fitted kit a discounted price, I may be wrong

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
I've just had my done by ED and he knocked a little off the price for having been there before for a map and a .net user
I've gone for a uprated clutch as I didn't wanna have the issues running a standard one an it throwing it's hand in after a few hundred miles but it's luck of the draw on them tbh.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
The only thing i've had done since my conversion by ED is the clutch. The stock one lasted a year of abuse after the conversion mind you! at which point the car had done 108k all on stock clutch to the best of my knowledge.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I've just recently fitted a new valeo clutch 400miles ago, but its a fair increase in torque so not sure how it'll last, think I'll just upgrade it to save hassle later on, watched your vid on youtube the other night, looks a nice car, just need ED to get the 20% offer on the go and it'll be booked, that will cover the clutch

RB Clio 182
Get a paddle clutch, they are noisey as hell but the bite is great, the only downfall is the noise, it sounds like i have an elephant whining when i downshift and start from a standstill.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My only experience of a paddle clutch was on an evo 7. Can't remember which type. I can remember the £1000 cost at the time and driving like a learner round town.

I still do the latter, but not on a paddle clutch.

PH2 172
Get a paddle clutch, they are noisey as hell but the bite is great, the only downfall is the noise, it sounds like i have an elephant whining when i downshift and start from a standstill.
Would a dci JC5-128 box be a good fitment for a 230 low boost Clio?