ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo converted clio

is there any clio that has been converted? im thinking of doing it.i´m not at all intresten in a gtt engine conversion.

if anybody knows about a clio 1,4rt witha the energy engine please post some pics or info.

well i live in swedden and the r5 gtt was never intruduced here because of some problems with the exhaust certificate so.. i need info about th e1,4rt engine. and how to conert it,.

Ziel Nurburgring

Use the search button for "Clio turbo" all forums and there is a page of quite relevant stuff.

Ian

I was told to do taht on an RT engine would cost a hell of a lot might not be as much cos you dont have the R5 engine to do it

I asked BB about it but they wouldnt touch my car :(

well i don´t really understand what would cost so much, the single point engine is really easy to convert, all you need is a suitable turbcharger, extra fuel injection wich is activated when the turbo preassure comes. The clio gearbox will hold, it´s quite tought and the engine is really great, mine has been driven hard as hell and nothing at all has broken sience i bought it 1,5 year ago, it´s a -92.

[Edited by Racer X on 06 May 2004 at 2:31pm]

i dont know either they just said theres no point cos it would cost so much whereas a GTT conversion wouldnt so easy choice over here if you know what i mean?

go for it i cant see a problem the energy engines are the blx as reliable as you like just have to uprate the obvious things like clutch etc which you would anyway

Vix :)

Quote: Originally posted by powelly on 06 May 2004

I was told to do taht on an RT engine would cost a hell of a lot might not be as much cos you dont have the R5 engine to do it

I asked BB about it but they wouldnt touch my car :(
I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole either! ;)

well will se.. ive already built some things for the conversion , i would probably be the first one maybe in the world with a real clio rt turbo, no gtt engine cheating ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

erm u would obviosely need a new exhaust manifold, and might be easier to make a new inlet and each inlet port fit a injector like a company in the uk called fast chips did to a 5gtt, that way u can have multipoint injection, they used a clio 16v loom and made there own fuel rail and make a chip to use with the 16v loom.

i cant see it being hard but i can see the price going up a fair amount...

Its not hard, but not as simple as many of you are making it out to be.

An rt with 5psi would be very worthless powerwise especially with the amount of management needed for that to run safely with the comparatively high CR as stock.

Physically you only need a manifold with T flange, intercooler, plumbing, convert he inlet maniflld for a true plenham setup and personally i would definately lower the compresson.

If your only looking to run about 10 psi then i could lower the TCR by a point with simple chamber mods. Creating a far better combution design.

You would need to convert the inlet manifold since the injector assembly is mostly plastic and might not like the heat. Add to this placing an injector in the elbow before it would cover the IAT and injector in fuel. Youll need to get a 2bar MAP sensor and make the ECU boost aware since the std MAP can read boost, but the ECU cant and wont have any fueling codes for anything above the minimal + 1000millibars which you can get below sea level in some places.

Heat management and detonation management wont be as easy as some thing to create a system that isnt total pap.

And that CRX....the yank ALWAYS use bloody check valves foir the MAP and mechanical control of additional fuel. I hate it...they are always so short sighted in their approach and want the power now rather than later but better.

2005 Nissan Navara

would be alot simpler and still capable of good power figures.

i would personally try and use EFI, but simplicity is a good way forward....

at the end of the day it all depends wot u want from the engine. high boost-high tech-high performance-high cost, or good(ish!) performance from a simpler set-up

[Edited by stan* on 06 May 2004 at 6:23pm]

yup.....even DCOE carbs have pressure equalsation holes for turbo applications.....crap though.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 06 May 2004

An rt with 5psi would be very worthless powerwise especially with the amount of management needed for that to run safely with the comparatively high CR as stock.

Physically you only need a manifold with T flange, intercooler, plumbing, convert he inlet manifold for a true plenham setup and personally i would definately lower the compresson.

If your only looking to run about 10 psi then i could lower the TCR by a point with simple chamber mods. Creating a far better combution design.

You would need to convert the inlet manifold since the injector assembly is mostly plastic and might not like the heat. Add to this placing an injector in the elbow before it would cover the IAT and injector in fuel. Youll need to get a 2bar MAP sensor and make the ECU boost aware since the std MAP can read boost, but the ECU cant and wont have any fueling codes for anything above the minimal + 1000millibars which you can get below sea level in some places.

Heat management and detonation management wont be as easy as some thing to create a system that isnt total pap.

the compression radio in the energy is 9.50:1 and with that ratio you could run about 14psi of boost if you got a intercooler.

So the CR problem dosent exist if you aren´t goingt to raise the boost more then ~14psi. The intake manifold on the energy engine is made especially for single point injection, it has no canals and the fuel spreads easilly and an equal amount of fuel is delivered to every cylinder. If the clio had a intake manifold with a plenum the car woulden´t even work.

theinjector assembly problem is also solved..

http://home.tiscali.se/avdic1/adapterklarhttp://home.tiscali.se/avdic1/adapterklar

sorry about the language or spelling (swedish)

[Edited by Racer X on 06 May 2004 at 8:09pm]

[Edited by Racer X on 06 May 2004 at 8:15pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Racer X on 06 May 2004

Physically you only need a manifold with T flange, intercooler, plumbing, convert he inlet manifold for a true plenham setup and personally i would definately lower the compresson.

the compression radio in the energy is 9.50:1 and with that ratio you could run about 14psi of boost if you got a intercooler.

Have you considered the design of the CC and the squish area. Or the cam profiles that would drastically affect the ECR compared to the TCR. And boost capability isnt just a funtion of intercooler or not.

The intake manifold on the energy engine is made especially for single point injection (your joking), it has no canals and the fuel spreads easilly (the function of a manifold wouldnt have anything to do with that would it, sorry....tongue in cheek) and an equal amount of fuel is delivered to every cylinder (not as true as you think, on the 3 bolt TB setup cylinders 2 & 3 get more air and fuel than 1 & 4). If the clio had a intake manifold with a plenum the car woulden´t even work. (not with SPI no, well not as well, but who said i was talking about keeping the SPI?)

sorry about the language or spelling (swedish) (no problem, you should see some of the supposed British citizens language hahahah)

[Edited by Racer X on 06 May 2004 at 8:09pm]

http://home.tiscali.se/avdic1/adapterklar

lol...sorry, ironic that i jsut said it above...

[Edited by BenR on 06 May 2004 at 8:19pm]

no, the elbow thing......cant see an injector so i dont know what your personally doing about controlling extra fuel.

Hope it works for ya bud!

well if i´m concidering of going throught with this of course i ´ll put i extra injectors but it will be in the pipes, and i would use a special fuel management system för the extra fuel, but there i se a new problem, the fuel pump.. i hope thet the pump is up to the task.

but do you think that the car would work with 7psi boost if these things were done.

Turbocharger Garett Gt17 with a custom made exhaust manifold.

2bar MAP sensor

Extra Fuel managment system with a extra injector mounted before the TB.

the tin can airbox.

of course some plumbing... pipes and stuff like that.

Physically it will run yes.

Id only be concerned about the injection methods.

You want to cover the SPI system in fuel from the extra injector?

Maybe if you place a spacer between the SPI throttle body and put the extra injector in the spacer then it might work better.

Maybe if you place a spacer between the SPI throttle body and put the extra injector in the spacer then it might work better.

good idea.. yes i was thinking of putting it before the stock injector, and maybe it wouldent be so good. But your spacer idea, how would that look like? i cant really picture it in my head.the TB would have to be lifted up a little bit woulden´t it?

2005 Nissan Navara

look at http://www.s-tag.comwww.s-tag.com

they do 5th injector driver (RT1) that uses a closed loop lambda sensor which keeps A/F ratio to whatever u pre-set it to. includes funky dash mounted lambda meter aswell

Quote: Originally posted by Racer X on 06 May 2004

good idea.. yes i was thinking of putting it before the stock injector, and maybe it wouldent be so good. But your spacer idea, how would that look like? i cant really picture it in my head.the TB would have to be lifted up a little bit woulden´t it?
Yea, the spacer wold fit between TB and manifold and lift the TB up, so you would have to lower your tin can lid lol.

Your gonna have to go standalone since the std ones isnt boost aware and i wouldnt like to see you using a check valve and MAP trickery for the fueling.