ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo lump or bolt on

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Which is better - Do A transplant with a 5 Turbo Engine or Just upgrade the existing 1.8?

If its best to stick with the 1.8 which is better performance per pound - Turbo or supercharger?

I await the debate!

Skoda Fabia vRS

5GTT definitely, for the amount you need to spend on the 1.8 to it converted you could have a 300bhp+ 5GTT engine and LOTS of change.......a few thousand in change

BBs 1.8 16v conversion is about 7.5k

Where as the GTT conversion could be done for 1.5k rebuild on top another 1k top of the range turbo £750 and you could knock on the door of 250bhp, other hoses and stuff call it 1k so thats 4k ish!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Christ I never realised it would be that expensive! Think ill just tune this one slightly and move onto a faster car when I get bored of this one (which may be never!)

BMW 320d Sport

Right on Hogan. Admittedly Im no expert on GTT engines but I cant see how youd see 300bhp for 7.5k of work on a GTT engine. Theres a reason why most sensible GTTs running decent power pack around 200bhp and quarter milers that are basically compromised as road cars, run 250bhp. 300 is optimistic. Ok it can be done, Im not saying it cant but youve not talking about a street car any more and it certainly isnt a case of bolting on a few bits at that level of tune. If you want that sort of power, and you dont mind forking out 7.5k in one go to get it, then 1.8 is the way forward. The engines not really under any strain running 250bhp and the rest of the components are good for 300bhp, all they need is a bigger set of injectors and a remap as far as I can remember.

Im not knocking the GTT conversion, its a great idea from a tuning point of view cos trying to tune an F7P is like getting blood out of a stone if youre sticking with normal aspiration. Plus the GTT conversion can be very cheap if you want it to be. I may be wrong, but I just dont think you can look at it still being cheap once you want to start to wring some real power out of that diddy 1.4 lump though. Its gonna start to get pricy to do a proper job on the GTT, and then youve got to question whether you want a 1.4 pushrod engine from the 80s thats on the ragged edge the whole time, or a relatively modern 16v engine hardly breaking sweat at 200-250bhp? Not that Im biased or anything :)

One thing I will say though to redress the balance - my understanding is that 200bhp is a nice solid figure that is possible for not too much money out of a GTT engine. As owner of a 250bhp (roughly) Clio 16v Turbo I can tell you theres not a great deal more power you can really use up to 3rd gear, through front wheel drive at least. OK when youre cruising for long stretches at 120-140mph on the autobahn with burns up to 145 (thats 145 proper mph on the GPS speedo) in a Clio then yes 250bhp is very handy. At everyday speeds its not really necessary, 200bhp in a Clio would be fine.

chris it would fit but the engines are so untunable its unreal i met their owners club at santapod once(all 4 of them) and they were complaining about not being able to get decent power out the block.

Ive had two r5 turbos and this clio and my opinion and most my RTOC chums is 170 bhp is very easily achievable on a 5 lump for a reliable 200bhp u will need a front mount, water injection, rebuild, bigger turbo. Yes u can get that power without doing the above but will it be relaible? not a chance

250 is attainable but then u are looking at EFI etc etc

The problem is a lot of tuners and magazines over estimate the power they are running which makes the average person think buy buying all there parts u will see 300bhp. im seeing aprox 200bhp at 20psi and a shed load of torque and trust me that is rapid but im still going for more. But that will involve a lot of money efi - £1500 gordinin crossflowed head £1000 water injection £400 and a t3 rollerbearing turbo £1000 minimum. Add those prices ontop of what i have already spent and its very very expensive But u wont need more than 200bhp in a clio and as long as you can drive and u dont way the car down with ICE etc etc u should see low 14s high 13s on the 1/4 mile.

Just my two pence worth

nah matey not as yet i need to find out more info on it. Im only running 14psi at the mom i need to get it set up on the rollers for 200bhp. I have run 20psi one (200bhp aprox) and got way to much wheelspin. The subframe as standard comes seam welded and if u spotweld it it suposubdly reduces spin as everything is a lot more rigid

yeah woterver ya bufties.

300BHP day in day out in a 5 Turbo c1J lump even with all the top bollox Steel Liners . fueling bob on, it will proberbly be able to handle 300 BHP but would need rebuilding more often than a 5 running a std Engine at 180BHP (relible Day in Day out) and it would drive like a piece of sh*t, due to the turbo not kicking in till 4500rpm, defeats the point. Ask ya self what ya want, Big power and crap on the road, or Medium power , but quicker point to point and much more driverble car?

Chuck BIG BHP in the bin and concerntrate on ya torque figure.

My 5 runs 0-60 in 6.1 seconds proven at Trax @16psi and proven 14.520 1/4 mile at Santa Pod at 18psi. Last Time RRed pushed out 151BHP and 201lbsft of torque.

And it aint cost me nuthing to get that just a little know how, and thats on a engine that has done 150350 miles from the factory.

The 1.7 Volvo lumps are only good for up to about 12.5 psi and there ECU is un tuneable and has big problems reading over a BAR of Boost.

IMO, buy a 5 turbo with a blown HG for 300 quid, fix up the engine, bung it in the CLIO, sort the Wireing loom/Bodge it, sort the battery, learn about the Solex DIS 32 carb. Slightly modded T2 blower and push 170+ BHP all day everyday.

If you are handy with a spanner you can do it yourself, or Take it to the geezers at Torsion Tunning cos they do them PROPER and have done many, or do it proper and stick with the 5 turbo and leave the Prams (clios) for the Shopping trips with MUMmmy

K?

Tom

WEST LONDON AREA REP

http://www.rtoc.orgwww.rtoc.org

Markus for that last comment remind me to punch u at the next meet matey ; )

No matey not being sold now i have HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE plans

nah the RTOC would have been to southend and done a cruse then pissed off home before Cliosport even made it there.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Other option is not to buy a sh*te R5, by a tuned one, already kicking out 200bhp (@18PSI) with all the shiny bits, hoses,ch/cooler,Injection kit. Then add a few goodies (electronic boost controller, LSD, Roller bearing turbo) cheaper in the long run - exactly what im doing :)