ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo, or not Turbo, that is the question!

The Black Beast
i planned on slappin 3K into someones hand to turbo and uprate my engine bay in my 05 plate DCI 65, but then some one told me it already has a turbo!? is this true, im rather confused! cheers

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
dannyboy said:
could it be converted to a high comp??
no it would blow up. engine is not good and would have to be biult to a high spec and strength to run high comp

Rb 182
to be fair i cant see why they'd use a different engine?

bit lik the VW Golf 1.9TD motor, theres 90/110/130bhp variants and the differences are mostly turbo/intercooler/injectors/boostlevel as opposed to internal engine changes

they may have used a higher compression ratio which could pose an issue for upping the boost

The dci 65 already has a turbo (unintercooled though) and runs 1.1 or so bar boost (with spikes it difficult to know) which if you talk to any knowegable petrol head is massive boost. The turbos good for 1.5bar boost accoring to the manurfacturer (KKK) which is huge to put it in prespective the 180hp VAGs run 0.8 bar boost the 225 runs about 1.2bar boost.
Whover said £3k for a turbo I'd run away from quickly they know absolutly nothing.
The engine runs a highish compression ratio of 18.8 which in petrol terms is a supid figure few petrol could ven be made to idel on that level of compression. Diesels are a different kettle of fsih that not that high for diesel the 1.6 VW rabits ran 1.5 bar boost and 23 compression ratio for years no issues.
You can run the car at high boost no need to go internal until you want oer 150hp but obviously the reliability curve drops off the second you start touching the engine.

The engine is idential realy (except for a different turbo, injectors, an intercooler and mapping) from the dci80 the 100 has some modified intenrla bits and the 105 has a stronger block.

Depending what you want leave a message here I'm happy to give you idea but please give me an idea what you want.
A 2.0 172/182 conversion is great value but you loose the mpg and runnng costs of a diesel.

The Black Beast
finaly someone that answered the original question! lol. how much would the 2 liter conversion cost me? and is it worth doin?? would it be less hassle just goin out and pickin up a second hand 172? if we were talkin about small hp gains wot could i do to my pathetic engine. i already have a cotton green relacement filter and a powerflow custom exhaust system which seemed like it made it abit more responsive, but not much.

193 mk2
sell your dci & put the 3k on top & you should have enough for a good 172, 51 plates are going for £5500 & you'll pay less insurance than for a conversion & it will be better!!!

The Black Beast
yeah fair play! cheers lads! big help, just need to get some cash 2getha and soon il be in a sexy 172! cant wait! lol

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
on this subject...is tghere actually many places that will do a engine conversion into a 1.2 clio, what engines are best and easiest fit, obviously things like 172's or 1.6's?? and any garages around the leeds area that any of you know of?i cant be bothered to buy a 172 as i love my baby :p

RB 182
Hey andy its gray ere: i think u shud put a 172 engine in ure clio coz its rele slow and my fez has it off!!!

b3nje said:
on this subject...is tghere actually many places that will do a engine conversion into a 1.2 clio, what engines are best and easiest fit, obviously things like 172's or 1.6's?? and any garages around the leeds area that any of you know of?i cant be bothered to buy a 172 as i love my baby :p

1.8 20Vt Vag engine goes in and works ala ClioTT

172 cup'd extreme
theduckeatspork said:
1.8 20Vt Vag engine goes in and works ala ClioTT

goes in and works but the labour to do it would be imense jordi and matt spent months on it getting it to work 10's of remaps etc no one would do that conversion

172 cup'd extreme
b3nje said:

172 is an easy conversion a few people have done it me included not worth the money of you cant do the job yourself unless you dont mind wasting money