ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo or super charger?

With the two current threads on new turbo and super charger kits that are coming on-line I thought I ask what peoples thoughts are on the differences between a turbo and super charger. I've never driven either, but I quite fancy one of these.

As far as I can see. The kits are going to be similar prices, run on standard engine internals and generate 220-250 BHP at safe levels of boost. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also assume you'd be able to upgrade both kits with low comp pistons, forged rods etc and crank up the boost to give you 300 BHP. Plus the bonus of the standard ECU being retained.

So what are peoples experiences of super charger versus turbo charger.

And please lets not go down the whose kit is better road :nono: That's not what I'm asking :)

Super charger thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=386919

Turbo thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403718

Maybe I should have put this in the "clio discussion". If a mod would like to move it that would be cool.

Why do you need low comp pistons to allow increased boost? Seems counter intuitive to me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Suppose it depends how much power you're after. If 215bhp is enough, when it's available, the super 2000 manifold and cams will (IIRC) be the cheapest way of getting there.
Of the 2 you've mentioned, the supercharger should give more progressive power delivery, but worse mpg.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Forget the cost. Forget the technical side of it. Forget the pros and cons of each.

Just listen to either.

Turbos sound superb.

Superchargers sound s**te. Even the McLaren Merc sounds w**k to me. :dead:

D.

Ph1
Been a spin in RS Tunings Supercharged Clio when it was sitting at 270ish bhp and i never noticed supercharger noices, whistles or whines etc. Think youve been listening too much to Cooper S's ;)

Acceleration of the thing was unreal all the way up to ....... Turbo's going to suffer some kind of lag running 300 and certainly wont be constant power all the way through the rev range so charger gets my vote

Why do you need low comp pistons to allow increased boost? Seems counter intuitive to me.

Think I've figured this one out myself.

The forced induction will give you all the compression you need. Low comp pistons just means more space for more air = more oxygen = more power.

So I guess it's forged rods you need to increase the boost and low comp pistons just get you more power?

And power wise I like the idea of having early 200s with option to go to 300 when I get more cash or decide it's a bit slow ;)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Mate to be honest, now that everythings finally spilling on to the market, just take a bit of time out and test drive them all, at the end of the day you don't really want to be spending that sort of cash on somebody elses advice.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Mate to be honest, now that everythings finally spilling on to the market, just take a bit of time out and test drive them all, at the end of the day you don't really want to be spending that sort of cash on somebody elses advice.

amen!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Supercharger, that's what I'm doing, but not on a Clio.

Can't beat the supercharger whine, plus a turbo will make your exhaust note sound like any other turbocharged car.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Supercharger, that's what I'm doing, but not on a Clio.

Can't beat the supercharger whine, plus a turbo will make your exhaust note sound like any other turbocharged car.

And the supercharger whine will make yours sound totally different to every other supercharged vehicle out there?

ITB'd MK1
Maybe I should have put this in the "clio discussion". If a mod would like to move it that would be cool.

there's quite a lot to it, but in simple terms, higher compression means higher cylinder temperatures, meaning a greater propensity to detonation, so you have to run less ignition timing. Lowering compression reduces cylinder temps. Now, add boost into the equation and cylinder temps rocket, so you have to drop the compression, to be able to run adequate timing to make power. generally you want to run as high a compression as you can, but keeping cyl temps down.

Turbos generally require a little lower compression than superchargers because they sit in the exhaust just where the heat is trying to get out

raw striker
rotrex superchargers arnt actually very noisy at all. other roots type chargers ect are noisy as they have a physical gear drive inside, its the gears meshing that causes most of the whining sound. the rotrex is a traction fluid drive unit so no meshing gears making lots of noise. this is also how they are so small as they spin at upto twice the speed of gear driven superchargers without having the worry of taking all the teeth of the gears.

Golf GTD Mk7
which will be better for getting the power down? Or will they both kick in around the same rev range?

If cylinder temps (rather than boost pressure) are the limiting factor on stock internals due to detonation, then would the peak bhp be determined by the loss caused by:
Increased charge temperature/ increased exhaust back pressure of a Turbo
Mechanical power required to run a Supercharger

Anyone know what these losses are in this application?