ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo Selection 172 Cup

Jamesgsi1983

ClioSport Club Member
  N/A
All,

Having just bought a 172 cup, I have a long list of modifications planned.

The car is starting it’s modified life with the following being ordered next week.
182 manifold
182 manifold compatible ktec sports cat
Ktec Cat back recessed system
HC front discs and race pads

I am located in the north west and I want to understand which turbo packages available in the uk seem to be favoured on price and performance.
I have read some reviews, however ktec seem to be falling short with their turbo compared to others but after feedback.

Also, if there is a reputable company/person that can fit in the north west I would be keen to speak with them as it all appears to be south coast!

Thanks.

dan's cast offs.
don't do anything kit wise but if you want a custom set up without pipework crammed in everywhere and a dozen silicone elbows give me a shout.

20180516_150151.jpg

20180623_110738.jpg

dan's cast offs.
clue is in the word custom ?as they say a picture speaks a thousand words...

pipework built up on the car, you have more choice about how it fits/looks etc.

Jamesgsi1983

ClioSport Club Member
  N/A
That’s my issue!
Needs an MOT but basically stuck with a problem. (Failed on emissions)

Cat is goosed, so looking to replace with the ktec sports Cat then recessed pipe back box.
The sports Cat is different depending on if mounting to a 182 manifold or a 172 manifold.

Thinking was to change to a 182 manifold but not sure if when changing up to a turbo I could do the 182 pipe setup then.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Jamesgsi1983

ClioSport Club Member
  N/A
Not looked into it in great detail, who is supplying them and how are they matched against a turbo set up?

Ultimately I need to change the Exhaust and Cat ASAP, so it’s a case of which manifold do I get or plan for

dan's cast offs.
without seeing figures i'm guessing they chucked the probe in and started the test? had plenty that take a minute or two for everything to settle down for the test.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Just thinking out the box here excuse me. How much is the overall conversion going to cost you?
Would you not be better off buying a ready made one like @T9 0LLE or @masekwm for sale on here and sell your existing one on.
With what I expect you’d save you could perfect either of those cars for sale and make one hell of a car.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think people get a bit ahead of them selves just after they buy a new car - drive it and enjoy it for a little while. Fix the issues it already has which will also include a list of problems the MOT didn't tell you about and then make an educated choice re-turbo conversion.

If you don't want an off the shelf kit you should make your ecu selection first imo, everything else can be fabricated or purchased relatively easily. I personally would look at a GT2560, or a TD04 - they are both cheap and readily available, do not buy Chinese copy's!

The Internet is full of hopeful turbo/supercharger conversion threads for basically any and every car ever built - 99% of the OP's never follow through and actually do it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
fucked lambda sensor is a common issue causing MOT emission failures, would replace that first before doing the cat and manifold.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
do not buy Chinese copy's!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8LsMvKJ-l8a8nASFsuH4Ww

That Boostedboiz channel would tend to disagree. They have chinese turbos on all their cars. One has been on 700+bhp civic for over 3 years, about 300 1/4's and hours on the dyno and still had no shaft play. He spends a good bit of his time on the anti-lag/two step too. Supposedly they have came on leaps and bounds in the last few years in terms of reliability.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They've always been hit and miss, nothing has really changed.
Knowing which ones are hit and which are miss is the key - it's mostly down to the level of quality control performed when they are manufactured.

Kinugawa and Mamba turbos have always been a solid choice, loads of people run them without issue.
You can try some of the other offerings, gets abit more hit and miss when it's just a generic turbo from a random seller.
Also you need to pay attention to the turbo spec as alot of sellers don't have a clue about the product and will happily sell some totally inappropriate turbo to unwitting buyers.

Could also look at Holset turbos, they're excellent value for money - finding the model you need can be a headache though.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8LsMvKJ-l8a8nASFsuH4Ww

That Boostedboiz channel would tend to disagree. They have chinese turbos on all their cars. One has been on 700+bhp civic for over 3 years, about 300 1/4's and hours on the dyno and still had no shaft play. He spends a good bit of his time on the anti-lag/two step too. Supposedly they have came on leaps and bounds in the last few years in terms of reliability.

I'm sure some are ok quality wise. However after dyno tuning a friends RB25'd race car over the past few years where his biggest spec change has been to go from a Chinese GT30 to the real deal the difference in spool, lag and their ability to hold boost are leagues apart. R&D at garrett I suspect is taken a little more seriously than their Chinese colleges ?