ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbofan style hubcaps

2004 1.2l 16v clio
Hi guys! So I have a 1.2l 16v ph2 clio and I'm looking into making it a cheap fun little car. So I'm gonna lower it, put better tyres on and some spacers. And I also wanted new wheels... But the wheels that I like are kinda expensive and it wouldn't be worth it imo. And there is all kinds of hubcaps available and tbh they all look like crap🤷‍♂️. And since I really like rally (especially group b😁) I decided I'll design my own turbofan style hubcaps and I was thinking of getting them 3d printed cuz a company near me has a 3d printer that is big enough. Wanna see your opinion on the design and if you have any other suggestions on how I can make them. Ps. For now they're made out of cardboard so you'll have to use a bit of imagination lol.

IMG_20191129_192314.jpg

This is how I started and I was really just messing around. I wasn't even thinking of making them at the time

Snapchat-1649069373.jpg

Snapchat-1878535940.jpg

This was my first real design and I wasn't really digging it. Except the side view I like the look of that

IMG_20191210_165224.jpg

IMG_20191210_165358.jpg
IMG_20191210_165311.jpg
IMG_20191210_165537.jpg

This is my third and final design I really like how it turned out. I'm now working on a design to go on the top plate.
Looking forward to your replies and any advice you have.

2004 1.2l 16v clio
Well look I'm 17 years old I don't have money for alloys not even replica ones and I'm just trying to do something different and unique. And I could be swapping them from summer wheels to winter wheels. And it's not really that expensive to 3d print well at least not where I live. And please if u don't like what I want to do then just don't post anything. I didn't post this to watch memes making fun off me

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Dont worry mate, they just dont have any taste. Especially that @YorkshireKyle, he'd be selling you multi-J wheels if he hadnt already sold them.

Actually looks alright, what are your plans for modelling them in CAD? You'd probably be surprised what theyll cost you especially in a decent strong material (presume ABS).

Good for you mate. You do what makes you happy. I didn't even have a drivers license at 17, never mind my own car. I was a knuckle dragging mouth breather, selling rocky to the village pond life, drinking MD 20/20 on street corners and sniffing wizz out of the local slags hairy arse cracks!

2004 1.2l 16v clio
Well now I'm second guessing myself and yall ruined the fun for me thanks a lot. didn't think this forum had such crap people in it

• Sad
Reactions: Gus

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Good for you mate. You do what makes you happy. I didn't even have a drivers license at 17, never mind my own car. I was a knuckle dragging mouth breather, selling rocky to the village pond life, drinking MD 20/20 on street corners and sniffing wizz out of the local slags hairy arse cracks!

The good old days

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
A Tuesday night for @Liam.

Well now I'm second guessing myself and yall ruined the fun for me thanks a lot. didn't think this forum had such crap people in it
Mate, who cares what others think. Especially bloody strangers on a forum. If you like the style, go for it.

This place is full of older guys that take the piss, but 99% of them dont mean any harm, it's just banter. Don't take this place seriously and give as good as you get and you'll love it. Best forum I've been on by far. 👍

2004 1.2l 16v clio
Mate, who cares what others think. Especially bloody strangers on a forum. If you like the style, go for it.

This place is full of older guys that take the piss, but 99% of them dont mean any harm, it's just banter. Don't take this place seriously and give as good as you get and you'll love it. Best forum I've been on by far. 👍
Well yea ok I get it but this really bummed me out and I kinda lost interest. Like I don't have money and I can't get to it to easy and my parents can't really help me out either and I can't do anything that I want to my car. so I'm trying to be creative and on a really tight budget and since I go to design school I rhought I would design and make them myself. But that's just stupid and a waste of money ig.

406 V6, Race Buggy
They're going to need to be printed in polycarb or a fibre-filled ASA/Nylon blend, or just nylon, really, to stand any chance of surviving. 3D printing something that size in decent material isn't cheap. 3D printing is cheap when you consider you don't have to make moulds for prototypes and small batches, but in terms of actual time and material it's very, very expensive compared to normal fabrication.
You want cheap, cut it out by hand and glue the parts together.

2004 1.2l 16v clio
They're going to need to be printed in polycarb or a fibre-filled ASA/Nylon blend, or just nylon, really, to stand any chance of surviving. 3D printing something that size in decent material isn't cheap. 3D printing is cheap when you consider you don't have to make moulds for prototypes and small batches, but in terms of actual time and material it's very, very expensive compared to normal fabrication.
You want cheap, cut it out by hand and glue the parts together.
Well honestly if I couldn't 3d print them I thought I would get them cut out by a laser so it would be the most accurate because I would probably mess up a lot if I would cut them by hand

2004 1.2l 16v clio

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As above its going to be expensive and somewhat dangerous to print anything thats going to survive on a moving car without flying off and disintergrating.

However it would be feasable to print something in ABS on a cheap hobby printer that you can use while its parked up or moving slowly for photo's etc.
As a learning exercise for your design school work it would be good as its going to teach you cad, prototyping, manufacturing etc etc.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Hi,

It has been bought to my attention by a few other members that it appears not everyone likes the hubcaps you are suggesting to 3D print.

This is completely unacceptable that others have a different opinion to you and this has in turn made your day rubbish.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help protect your feelings on the internet.

Kind regards,

ClioSport Team.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Hi,

It has been bought to my attention by a few other members that it appears not everyone likes the hubcaps you are suggesting to 3D print.

This is completely unacceptable that others have a different opinion to you and this has in turn made your day rubbish.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help protect your feelings on the internet.

Kind regards,

ClioSport Team.

What a wanker 😄 😄

Hi,

Kind regards,

ClioSport Team.
Are Moderators, who one assumes are supposed to be impartial and unbiased and there for the protection of all forum members, allowed to sarcastically take the piss out of new forum members that are enthusiastic, trying to better themselves and their vehicle, and writing in what one presumes is a second language from a country with a much lower GDP per capita than the UK?

Or is the aim to deter new members with the usual CS cynicism, negativity towards things that are different, and an unspoken implication that not being rich and therefore needing to be inventive to get ahead in the world is somehow unworthy of praise and support, especially when the proposed activities and ultimate results are outside of 'societal norms'?

Clio 197
Props for getting as far as you did already! Subbing to watch your progress on these, looks like a cool little project.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Are Moderators, who one assumes are supposed to be impartial and unbiased and there for the protection of all forum members, allowed to sarcastically take the piss out of new forum members that are enthusiastic, trying to better themselves and their vehicle, and writing in what one presumes is a second language from a country with a much lower GDP per capita than the UK?

Or is the aim to deter new members with the usual CS cynicism, negativity towards things that are different, and an unspoken implication that not being rich and therefore needing to be inventive to get ahead in the world is somehow unworthy of praise and support, especially when the proposed activities and ultimate results are outside of 'societal norms'?
Yes, I am allowed to reply sarcastically to someone who calls our members “crap” because a few aren’t keen on his idea.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

2004 1.2l 16v clio
Anyways.. I decided I won't get them 3d printed. I'll go to my buddy and he'll cut it all out with a laser. Do you have any suggestions on the material and maybe what's the best glue I could use or should I bond it together differently?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
What i would do is 3D print them in plastic, but i would make them as an entire hub cap, rather than something you stick onto the OEM hub cap already. Unless that was your plan all along?

So get a standard Clio hubcap and use the back as a template so you know it would fit onto the steel wheel without issue, then just change the design on the front section to match yours. Simples.

2004 1.2l 16v clio
What i would do is 3D print them in plastic, but i would make them as an entire hub cap, rather than something you stick onto the OEM hub cap already. Unless that was your plan all along?

So get a standard Clio hubcap and use the back as a template so you know it would fit onto the steel wheel without issue, then just change the design on the front section to match yours. Simples.
OH no I'm taking the OEM hubcaps off and I'm making entirely new ones I'm not sticking it on the OEM ones