ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbo'ing a 1.2, isit possible?

the yozzasport 1.2 is the fastest on here iirc. . .
i highly doubt you will do what was done to that to your car.
and if your going to keep it through uni then just do small things so you dont loose money

ValverInBits
is a toyota startlet glanza not a 1.3 turbo running 0-60 in like 6 or 7 secs tho.

tbh tho man i agree with everyone it wouldnt be worth the hassle.

yes but they have more boost, are lighter and have better internals. But you have to put up with looking at it

C

Cupster

There used to be a kit I was going to invest in for my fiesta zetec s (1.6 100hp). That was basically a bolt on turbo, manifold and chip with no compression change etc for around 1800 quid.

Pointless for an extra 30 odd bhp in that car. Saved the cash, sold it and got a cup! So glad I waited that extra 6 months!

1.2 16valve sport
i think it would be intresting.

The advantages.
The 1.2 is lighter then big engined cars.
When not in boost will return more mpg then big engine cars due to weight differnce mainly

Is the engine in the new clio 1.2 turbo the same as the 1.2 but with a turbo on then?

Because if it is, then surely you could go to a scrappy, after a few have been written on, and literally swap over the required parts

J03

MX5 1.8
hmm some interesting suggestions.. maybe if i was going to change my car in 6 months i wouldnt bother... but in this case am lookin over 2 years... no harm in a little more power is there? is there a link to this yozzasport 1.2? whats the specs?

I wondered if you could put the Twingo turbo on the 1.2 16 Clio...and yes its possible but
difficult and expensive.
including drilling holes in the sump:eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Why not take the money you have/plan to save and buy somthing turbo charged already, might i suggest a Starlet turbo, cheap to insure highly tuneable.

Plus it isnt just about the turbo, you would have to change the brake set up chassis,rigidity etc etc so on and so forth!

IMO? Bypass!

1.2 16valve sport
I wondered if you could put the Twingo turbo on the 1.2 16 Clio...and yes its possible but
difficult and expensive.

Yes but if you were to find a written off twingo, surely you could take the sump aswell?

And why is lots of people putting the topic down saying buy a faster car, i can see why some people say its pointless, but the topic was about turboing a 1.2. Just because you dont find it intresting as you have faster car, e.g 2.0 litre 172/182. You guys like to talk about what makes your cars go faster so why cant we talk about making the 1.2 go faster

I think the point most ppl are trying to say mate is tht to spend 3 grand on getting the job done properly would be a wasted effort on a car of 4 grand that is going to show no return when coming to sell and will only sell privately. Also the insurance would be alot more expensive than the 2 litre as insurers would see it as a means to drive the car faster rather than just having a car that can go fast if u know what i mean.

mate if you are dead set on tuning the 1.2 then id recommend reading up on other methods of tweaking it. wieght loss is the simple option but tht is gonna involve losing some comforts aswell. first thing engine wise would be the breathing, full exhaust system and induction kit would be a gd start. could get a decat and maybe slap on a better manifold. There are several other things to do but tbh im not in any position really to dish out advice coz i know bugger all about tuning, just stuff i have picked up along the way. There are other things such as fast road cams, a remap and stuff to do with the fuel system but you really are probably better talking to a company who could do the work for you and could tell you the best way to go about it :) hope that helps man :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you can turbocharge it for a couple of hundred quid if you go diy and old skool (2 head gaskets, copper spacer etc thats what we done on the 1.4 saxo turbo we built) but you still wont be able to run high enough boost to get decent power, 130bhp if your lucky!

difficult and expensive.

Yes but if you were to find a written off twingo, surely you could take the sump aswell?

And why is lots of people putting the topic down saying buy a faster car, i can see why some people say its pointless, but the topic was about turboing a 1.2. Just because you dont find it intresting as you have faster car, e.g 2.0 litre 172/182. You guys like to talk about what makes your cars go faster so why cant we talk about making the 1.2 go faster

Here! here!:clap:

J03

MX5 1.8
mate if you are dead set on tuning the 1.2 then id recommend reading up on other methods of tweaking it. wieght loss is the simple option but tht is gonna involve losing some comforts aswell. first thing engine wise would be the breathing, full exhaust system and induction kit would be a gd start. could get a decat and maybe slap on a better manifold. There are several other things to do but tbh im not in any position really to dish out advice coz i know bugger all about tuning, just stuff i have picked up along the way. There are other things such as fast road cams, a remap and stuff to do with the fuel system but you really are probably better talking to a company who could do the work for you and could tell you the best way to go about it :) hope that helps man :)

you can turbocharge it for a couple of hundred quid if you go diy and old skool (2 head gaskets, copper spacer etc thats what we done on the 1.4 saxo turbo we built) but you still wont be able to run high enough boost to get decent power, 130bhp if your lucky!

cheers guys il look into that, thats what i really wanted really some repsonse like that, enda day i dont care how much i end up spending, of course nothing over thousands!! all i want is abit more power to keep me entertained for the time being, and il save up towards something much more powerfull, just want something to play with atm.

I think the point most ppl are trying to say mate is tht to spend 3 grand on getting the job done properly would be a wasted effort on a car of 4 grand that is going to show no return when coming to sell and will only sell privately. Also the insurance would be alot more expensive than the 2 litre as insurers would see it as a means to drive the car faster rather than just having a car that can go fast if u know what i mean.

yeah i know what people are trying to say and i repect that, most of you here are mature drivers and not silly boy racers so i wasnt expecting all out comments telling me to blow all my cash on the conversion which am not going to. it will do for the time being to build me no claims, but like i said before its been a year and just want abit more out the engine :)

difficult and expensive.

yeah i dont think topics like these interests all you 2.0 drivers.. but am stuck and insurance is a hassle and pain.. i love my car to bits and i dont want a different one atm.

1.2 16valve sport
ye its like us bursting into one of there topics about cold air feed, or something and saying buy a skyline?

What if i like my clio

1.2 16valve sport
Well it wasent me that made the topic, i just feel its unfair for the person that did when every other person says but a faster car.

Went to pease pottage today, and whilst i was there had a look around for one, but as i expected didnt see any with it being a new car. So surely if the engine is the same, its a case of swapping sump, turbo and maybe some modifications to air intake, and possibly lowering the compression ratio, as they might use a differnt head gasket?

I might ask renault tomoorow if the engines themselves are the samee