ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turning over but won't start

Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,

Just tried my car today and it won't start (it struggled last week too). The battery is strong as it's trying to turn over but it's not starting. I assume the the starter motor needs replacing? It had new spark plugs and ignition leads last month. Thoughts?

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ticking over means it’s running?

Do you mean turning over?

Wouldn’t of thought it would be starter motor if it’s turning over ok.

If it’s started since new spark plugs and leads I bet it’s those.

Clio 172 Cup
Sorry, it's turning over but not starting.

The plus and leads were done a couple months ago. Could it be the fuel pump maybe?

Video of it here:

Last edited:

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Hi all,

Just tried my car today and it won't start (it struggled last week too). The battery is strong as it's trying to turn over but it's not starting. I assume the the starter motor needs replacing? It had new spark plugs and ignition leads last month. Thoughts?
In the fusebox in the engine bay there is a big white plug right at the bottom.. Try pulling that apart and give it a good clean up with contact cleaner/a bit of wet and dry paper and a grease up with some white lithum grease..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

In the fusebox in the engine bay there is a big white plug right at the bottom.. Try pulling that apart and give it a good clean up with contact cleaner/a bit of wet and dry paper and a grease up with some white lithum grease..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Clio 172 Cup
Update. I cleaned the original crank shaft sensor and it made no difference. I ordered a new crank shaft sensor and fitted that.... no difference.

Can someone explain to a novice the best way of checking for spark and fuel?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Update. I cleaned the original crank shaft sensor and it made no difference. I ordered a new crank shaft sensor and fitted that.... no difference.

Can someone explain to a novice the best way of checking for spark and fuel?
Pull off the fuel hose to the rail and turn the car over.
Ideally you want to pull the whole rail off with injectors

Clio 172 Cup
Pull off the fuel hose to the rail and turn the car over.
Ideally you want to pull the whole rail off with injectors
Just tried that, loads of fuel spurting out when turning the key. This is a nightmare.... everything appears to be working but still won't start unless for some reason the new crank sensor is dodgy. Think I'm gonna have to get the garage involved.

Clio 172 Cup
To update this, I called my RAC in the end. Problem solved... he found a dodgy relay connection in the engine fuse box. He pulled it out, cleaned the connectors and the engine started first time.... all good now
biggrin.gif