ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV to Stereo Output Issue

Mito Sportiva 135
Hi

I have got an LG plasma (brand new) and connecting it to a really good but slightly older Sony amp and speakers.

The TV is outputing the audio via phono (? Think that's the name, simple male connectors, red and white colour) jacks into the aux input of the stereo.

On my old TV this works fine, but on this TV can't get it to work! I tried connecting the audio connectors to my BluRay and the sound output through there is fine, so there is no issue with the hardware per se.

I had the same setup on my old Samsung in my room I THINK and that worked fine...can anyone with any knowledge suggest why the TV output might not be working?

Thanks a LOT if you can! Really stressed out as I've got £700 worth of stereo not doing what I want it to do! :mad:

Tom.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LG's rarely have an analog audio out. You 100% sure?

Whats the TV model number

Bumder With A Buffer
You usually have to set them to switch the audio to go through the RCA connections...I know I have to on my Samsung Plasma.

Edit oh and what Tom said...

Cupra
As pointed out, they are probably the inputs. You should have an optical output on the TV to go to the Amp.

Mito Sportiva 135
Tom - the model is LG PK590 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003FMSIW2/?tag=cliospnet01-21)

It definitely has audio connections - but thinking about it it doesn't say input or output, I was guessing output but now you say it, maybe it is input!

It does have an optical connection, what sort of cable would I need for that then? On the back of my amp it has an "Eon" connection I think...is that the same thing or not?

Cheers CS Tech Squad! :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Is it defo in the output ?

Is the menu system on the TV set to the correct source that you want it to output ?

Are you trying to take sky or freeview or what, out of the TV ? Can't you go directly to the hifi with the sound !?

Manual here: http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasma-tv-50PK590.jsp looks like your TV is too new for your hifi, unless your hifi has a digital in. How old is the hifi ? ...:

This function allows you to select your preferred Digital Audio Output.
The TV can only output Dolby Digital if a channel is broadcast with Dolby Digital audio.
When Dolby Digital is available, selecting Auto in the Digital Audio Out menu will set SPDIF(Sony Philips Digital InterFace) output to Dolby Digital.

Last edited:
  Mito Sportiva 135
If it was output I would guess it would automatically be selected at the output, no? Least it was on my old TV. Can't find a setting for that anyway.

I want it so any sound coming from the TV goes out through the speakers....e.g. TV, Bluray, Xbox, PC...I can connect the output of the Bluray directly but that's not all I want it to do!

Tom - so you saying the optical connection on the TV is an output or input then? If I have to buy a new amp that will suck! Was like £400 when I got it :(

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Output. The only one too. I have the same issue. So i use the analog outputs from my bluray and sky HD box for now.

Mercedes
I had similar problems with the new set up in the end i ended up getting a new surround sound with digital optical

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Where did you get the TV from ?

Pop to your local RicherSounds, and get some sound (BOOM BOOM!) advise from them. Never had any bad experiences from many different branches of RS.

Mito Sportiva 135
I am keeping the TV as I think it's great...yeh RS advice is always good so I will give them a call.

Worse case scenario is I put the stereo in my bedroom and connect back to my old Samsung in there and buy myself a new home cinema solution....will have about £2-300 to spend on it probably.

Any decent ones out there in that price range, should be right?

Cheers for the advice!

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh seems good, going to go local RS on Saturday.

I gave them a call just now and my alternative is to buy an optical lead and a digital convertor but will cost £60...think I'd rather invest that towards a new system really. Although I am meant to be buying other such exciting things like kitchen table and microwave...eating in style can wait hehe.

Cupra
The last option us to use your headphone out on the TV to send the audio to the hifi. A cheap interim fix.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I have the PK590 and can confirm it doesn't have an analogue output. Optical only and you will also have to go into the sound menu and set the digital output to auto. It's not on by default!

2014 Focus Titanium
I just bought this for £230:

Onkyo HT-S3305

Which is absolutely fantastic for the money. You essentially get the Onkyo TX-SR308 AV Receiver (Onkyo AVR) which is usually £200, and the Onkyo SKS-HT528 speakers which are usually about £150. The only difference being that the subwoofer is passive rather than active, but that honestly makes no difference as mine still blows my tits off! And you could upgrade to an active sub if you ever wanted to but trust me you wouldn't be disappointed!

This system supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio and has many customisable functions, not to mention many inputs/ouputs for the price.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Noted...thanks! What system are you using then mate, not tempted by a HDMI connection?

I have mine running into a good but older Denon 1903 amp which doesn't have HDMI. It makes no odds really though, if it had it all the HDMI's would go to the amp and then output the picture from that to the TV via HDMI. Mine is just the other way round with all my HDMI's going to the TV and then sound to the amp via optical. The sound is just as good and the only downside is that the TV doesn't output DTS. Not sure if that might be addressed by another firmware update though!

Have you plugged yours into your network to get the latest firmware which adds loads more to the Netcast as well as other less noticeable improvements yet? I was using Youtube the other week and was well impressed with how well/easy it was to use:).

2014 Focus Titanium
I have mine running into a good but older Denon 1903 amp which doesn't have HDMI. It makes no odds really though, if it had it all the HDMI's would go to the amp and then output the picture from that to the TV via HDMI. Mine is just the other way round with all my HDMI's going to the TV and then sound to the amp via optical. The sound is just as good and the only downside is that the TV doesn't output DTS. Not sure if that might be addressed by another firmware update though!

Have you plugged yours into your network to get the latest firmware which adds loads more to the Netcast as well as other less noticeable improvements yet? I was using Youtube the other week and was well impressed with how well/easy it was to use:).

Unless you want HD Audio (i.e. from PS3/bluray) then there is a significant difference with using HDMI into the AVR first.

Mito Sportiva 135
I went for this in the end:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IHVHRW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

REALLY pleased with it. Tight, lively sound, multi directional speakers, clear voice but can also handle bass, looks stylish and good BR player too.

With my LG PK590 and Xbox 360 I am loving my setup, in my room I have a 32" LCD, Dell HD Zino media pc, Sony BR player all running through my Sony amp and speakers (VERY high quality speakers) - will take some pictures when I can!

Thanks for the help guys, it's all working perfectly now!