ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Type R civic, Rord racing Puma or WRX/STi

Probably change the 1600 in a year or two - can a second hand one of any of these three cars be had in that timeframe for a a good deal with part exchange? How much are you looking for a second hand type R civic or FRP now?

Civics up for about 12k private and 14k at dealers

Racing Pumas about 10k

WRXs/STis 3k upward depending on whether you want an 11yr old shed or something better

Williams 2, STi N12

I wouldnt even be considering anything else apart from the STi or an EVO. Got to be one of the all time grreatest cars for the money, and you can do so much to them as well.

Probabably looking at 15K though.

As Robfenn has hit on what are you useing it for and have you bucketloads of cash.

FRP = Cheap to run and insure, slow but nice looking

CTR = Cheap to run and insure, fast but a wee bit ugly

Imperzas = Fast and some are cheap but very expensive to run, the cheaper the car the more expensive to run. And your WRX/STIs come in many different types though the ages and are massively different from each other. If you are interested in these youll have to do some major investigating to which one is for you!

Cup insurance is group 17 so no p[roblems there - like I siad it will be a trade in / part exchange on the 1600 16v Mk2 clio.

I sat in a MY03 WRX Impreza and its sooooooo sooooo sooooo nice.. Then they brought out the MY03 WRX STi to show everyone.. *droool*

I wanted one before, and I DEFINETLY want one now.. Dream car still.. as soon as I can afford one...

Daz.

RobFenn insurance is a very very small part of the running costs - My Fiesta of a similar speed and identical insurance group cost me £3,500 for my last year to my cousins £8600 running costs for a Subaru - both group 17 His was a new scooby and had vitrually no replacement parts except consumables!!

rob last time i looked the cup didnt resemble any of the cars above? and they dont go or handle the same either?

It has to be practical for everyday use - the Fiancee will take the cup as her car so I want something quicker and bigger - the obvious move is therefore a bishi or scooby.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Have you looked into the Fcous RS? What was your price band?

What about them Alfa GTVs, Golf R32, Accord Type R?

Just some more suggestions, but Id imagine the R32 drinks petrol.

Accord Type R has similar performance to Civic Type R but looks a look more luxurious inside.

VW Potato

i like the idea of the Accord - looks frumpy, but goes like the bells in heaven. Although if youre not fussed about the odd electrical calamity, youd wont get too bored with a 3.0 V6 Alfa GTV. Apparently ;)

g

No, second hand scooby or ecvo - thats the obvious next step up from a cup 6.5 secs to sixty down to 4.8ish! Partexchnage for the 1600 16v is all I can stretch too!

I wouldnt bother with the RS, buy EVO and read a letter written in, hilarious.

Wish more people would try GTVS before saying "Im getting a TT!"

I like the golf, did well, limited numbers, great engine.

Accord Type R a bit repboy/max power tw*t

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

There was summit or Sky the other night, 5th gear I think where they tested the Scooby against the Evo round the track, the Evo beat the Scooby by 2 seconds.

Also, in my opinion, Scoobys are common, Evos are not, if I had the choice between the 2, itd have to by the Evo I think.

A Evo is a step up in prices again over a Scoob - they cost more to buy and more to run with that stupily small fuel tank and very low MPG and group 20. Your best bet out of that 2 is a 98-00mdl UK Turbo scoob. Group 17 insurance and budget 8k for total yearly costs (below average milage). They are around 5.5 or so to 60 and 15-16 secs to 100. I think my cousin was getting 15-20mpg in his mainly town driving.

VW Potato

Audi TT v GTV? There is simply no comparison. The TT is nice, drives nice and will be better built, but I beg you, please, please try a V6 GTV before dismissing it. Then tell me the TT is more fun after driving a GTV V6, and I will eat my hat, my shoes and then my Clio.

g

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Well yeah, the spoiler is a bit much, but the inside looks gorgeous, nice wheels, nice ride height, nice VTEC engine or is it the I-VTEC on the Accord?

forget the GTV!!! its old, small crap and front heavy....althought he coupe is good looking.

Get the new 156GTA for the ultimate FWD car.......its bonkers, has nxt to no torque steer and looks damn sexy.

I hate jap 4wd crap.......well, the evo is ok, but i would be a family car.

there are loads of older cars like porshe 964 turbos with mental potential, loads of RWD cars banging about.

the TT has loads of problems when you really push.

Brake fade is a real problwm as the two intercoolers are placed infront of the two front wheels.....good design!

Its based no the VAG A3 platform (not names after the audi!! lol), its ugly, looks like it would roll as well as a ball, basically crap........

VW Potato

i dont understand how the GTV V6 can be crap when platform-wise it is not a million miles removed from the 156GTA?

g

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Ive never been a fan of the Jap styling but you gotta love there bonkers engines and fantastic handling!

4WD is the big expense - gives far less MPG - loses far more power through transmission losses and you have to change all 4 tyres at once. Then theres more bits to go wrong. I think 2WD losses are around 20-25% and 4WD are 45-50% but someone like BenR will know the correct figures.

All that for better off the line traction - id stick with 2WD unless Rich!!

lol..not that much......on modern trannys...

FWD is about 15%, RWD is about 17-18% AWD is about 19-21% depending on viscous couplings and active diffs.

The GTA is old in terms of platform design (eventhough they may share a base). The new micra and new clio share teh same paltform........the goof , A3, Leon and Octavia have the same platform, and handle surprisingly diff.

Nope - I have seen a few posts relating to VTR/S cornering at the same speeds as Scoobs. My cousins could actually get 5mph more on some corners in his VTR than he could in his Scoob. In the dry of course. He doesnt mention it for fear of ridicule but SB in Scoobynet has said simialr things. He drove the same caithness road to work for 2-3years and knew its limits, on some the Scoob was better on some the VTR. I will with-hold his name for his own personal safety;)

4wd means more traction....thats it.

it was ONLY brought into rallying because with about 300bhp through the rears, its just spins and spins and spins....or in Ari, Vatanen own words justa spiiinning and a spiining the wheLLs".

So, with 4wd they could double the power and still have traction on loose power. On tarmac, 4wd, if there is any heavy FW bias, will push on and understeer like a dog! It doent handle as well as a rwd car because you can balance it, it will drift then straighten and snap....no matter how much trackery you are running, jsut a result of having power though the fronts. FOrd experimented with a AWD F1 car back in the days, but it was pants and didnt make it into any races.

Quote "lol..not that much......on modern trannys..." Ive spent to much time on the RS boards with those "modern" Cossie 4 X 4 Figure losses;)

VW Potato

hmmm, of all the terms you could apply to a GTV, id be hard pressed to believe that crap was a fair one. Old and creaky yes; crap, no.

g

ok ok.....not crap....but not worth it if you really considering the epitamy of FWD handling......its nice.

if u want the fastest ex production FWDriver

get the old EK jdm civic type R

1.6 vtec with i think it was over 180 bhp

were talking 0 - 60 in 5.7 secs

1/4 mile in low to mid 14s as std

real rare sight on the road too real ones anyway