ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Typically how long do clutches last

mines lasted about 7300 miles - took it in to renault this morning and they have got it over night. When I asked at 4 this afternoon, they said that they were still investigating ?

Symtoms so far are of a slipping clutch ? but maybe not ?

I give renault another call tomorow morning

Tappd'd RS

effin ell! Thats not very long!

Do you run quarters or does it look like a fault?

Depends what sort of driving you do, if you drive through towns / cities alot then it is gonna go soomer than if you send most of you time on motorways / main roads

hopefully it will be something thats caused it as I never race it what so ever. The car is 16 months old and Im gutted - I hope this will be under warranty although a few people here say that I might be up for a fight !! and fight I will.

Put a load on the car i.e up a hill - put foot down - revs increase - car gradually speeds up...

dont think I can think of anything else ?

one thing that made me laugh was the technition at renault said that the car was maybe wheel spinning ? at 50mph - I dont think so mate

I think mines began to slip today as well after 23k and its only got 65hp. I drive on main roads but Im not easy on it.

Ph1

Well Ive done 34000 miles and its still going strong and Ive even got the orig tyres on the back with 3mm of tread left !!........and no I dont drive like a vicar ;)

i noticed mine is slipping... if i rev it and bring the clutch up, i can hold the revs up at 4 - 5k even through gear changes, if you get what i mean.. definitely cant pull away as quickly without it slipping...

any benefit in putting an uprated / aftermarket clutch in a 1.2 ??

300bhp MR2 Turbo

My clutch went on the valva the other day, totally smashed it.

It lasted 1 year, 3 weeks and approx 6,000 miles. Total crap!!

I do hammer it a bit, though I never wheels spin cause I cant afford new tyres!!

R

rich[182]

Just when I finally come round to deciding to book car in for mods I read a post like this, Makes me wonder what the effin point is in doing any mods whatsoever.

Even with a standard 172, Unless I took it on the track or constantly raced it or thrashed it I expect to get at least 3 yrs life out of the clutch, Anything less is totally unacceptable, The fact the car has 170ish-BHP is irrelevant, The clutch should do the job in hand.

I had a 146BHP with 150 torque Fiesta RS Turbo and gave it some right abuse over 5 years and at 80k the clutch was like friggin new PERIOD.

Thanks for info though.....................Back to "keeping it std" for now

The Jinx

For those whose clutch has slight slip symptoms, it could be your rear end oil seal. that went on my dci recently and id didnt slip the same way that it would if the clutch was going, as there was oil on the paltes.

That was done under warranty BTW, the car having done 26000 miles.

mine is 27k and dunno if warranty is still covering it due to mods to the engine...

i have noticed a bit of an oily substance on the passenger side driveshaft where it meets the engine.. is this anything to do with it ??

Mine went at 16ishK......!!!

I too had booted a more hardy hot hatch for 60K with no problems with the clutch!!! (VW)

I think Renault used papier mache for the clutch material by mistake!!

I bet a Group n spec one will last at least double the amount of miles, and probably cost half as much.

R

rich[182]

clutch gone at 16k is a friggin joke man, did you have any mods on the car when you took it in ? any probs with warranty ?

im still amazed, just wasnt aware of this whole clutch thing with the 172, if mine goes below 50k and i get any hastles with dealer im gonna go ballistic

just to keep you informed guys - I got my car back yesterday from Renault. Came away with a bit of a red face really as I had gone down there primed for a bit of an argument...

The chap said that the problem had been a damaged diaphragm whatever that is ? and that they had replaced the complete clutch - No mention of any cost what so ever and they had valeted the car !

Hats off to renault Worcester for a suprisingly good job !

Burgandy 174 sport t

mines was at 28k when the clutch went and had it covered by warramty!!

cant believe ive done 34k already?!?!?!?!

:(

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

have noticed on the newer models that the clutches seem to wear a lot faster.didnt seem to do many clutches when old clios etc were the current new range.