ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Advice - Road/Track

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Need abit of advice here. Got a ph1 172 track car and currently stuck on which tyre i should go for. Ive got two sets of alloys, one for road use and one for track use. The road use tyres just have some cheap road tyres on and i need to decide what tyres i should get on the track alloys.

Initially i thought about the Toyo R888's as they wear well and apparently fantastic grip in the dry. Problem is this is england and we get lots of rain so what are these tyres like in the wet?

Another choice was some Goodyear F1's. Not so good in the dry but i would imagine better in the wet than R888's. Also cheaper than the R888's

The track car will be used all year round but mainly in the summer. What should i do? :) Advice from people who have used R888's?

thanks
carl

M2 Competition
Yoko paradas are brilliant. Good in dry and can imagine them being better in wet that r888's.

Could always get some dry use tyres on one set, and if its wet on track put your road wheels on.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Yoko paradas are brilliant. Good in dry and can imagine them being better in wet that r888's.

Could always get some dry use tyres on one set, and if its wet on track put your road wheels on.

yeah i was thinking that but these road tyres are s**t in all honesty so probably wouldnt be any good on the track.

/carl

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I have one set with normal road tyres (Toyo T1R), one with road legal track tyres (A048 + D01J), and one with road illegal scrubbed track tyres (A032 at the moment). Also have a set of competition only wets I can swap to.

With two I'd say road tyres for rain, and track tyres for dry.

Track tyres in the wet are good on damp (non greasy) surfaces if you can get and keep temperature. Avoid standing water like the plague though.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
I have one set with normal road tyres (Toyo T1R), one with road legal track tyres (A048 + D01J), and one with road illegal scrubbed track tyres (A032 at the moment). Also have a set of competition only wets I can swap to.

With two I'd say road tyres for rain, and track tyres for dry.

Track tyres in the wet are good on damp (non greasy) surfaces if you can get and keep temperature. Avoid standing water like the plague though.

hmm will be mainly going to croft which is shocking for standing water when it rains. Would rather not use the current road tyres on the track as they are terrible and give no grip at all on the road. Kinda stuck lol

alien green rs133
set of forrest tyres needed for croft, for getting out the gravel trap, and some yokies for using on the road home :D

172 Race Car

I took Peperami's advice and got a set of pradas and i must say im very happy with them. were surprisingly good at our wet/damp/slippery airfield sprint in March.

But please dont get goodyear f1's

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

I took Peperami's advice and got a set of pradas and i must say im very happy with them. were surprisingly good at our wet/damp/slippery airfield sprint in March.

lol bad experience?

172 Race Car
s**t imo. had a set on my old phase 2 172 and just didnt like them. funny wear if abused and give up grip suddenly. Equally my mate had a pair on his 182 and hated them. He has Kumho's now which he says are better.

All a matter of opinion as will everything, but im happy with my yoke pradas for what they cost. 35 quid a corner as apposed to 70+ for R888's

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
s**t imo. had a set on my old phase 2 172 and just didnt like them. funny wear if abused and give up grip suddenly. Equally my mate had a pair on his 182 and hated them. He has Kumho's now which he says are better.

All a matter of opinion as will everything, but im happy with my yoke pradas for what they cost. 35 quid a corner as apposed to 70+ for R888's

yeah cost wise that sounds good, and good in the wet with standing water?

think we may have a winner here!

/carl

megan R26.R number 006
i run toyo r888 on track they are excellent and they are not bad in the wet to .
the Goodyear f1's are pretty good to

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
R888's are fine in the wet they just don't like standing water.

It rained at Cadwell last time i was there & the instructor told me to keep my foot in & i was taken aback how good they were & Cadwell is a tight circuit.

In the dry the r888's will be the better tyre as sidewalls are stiffer than pradas.

£250 for 4 is possible.

clio 200 F4Rt
what size tyre are you running? set of 4 195/50/15 R888's are £220 plus postage from me.

They are fine in the wet as said, just gotta be careful with standing water (again like mentioned).

its all about being sensible with them really. i ran mine at Donnington this year where it was soaking wet, and very cold, and they still ran pretty well.

Clio 172 ff
+1

Goodyear F1's are aweful for track use. Mainly because the sidewall is much too soft. Might be barely okay for wet conditions, though, as the cornering loads are not as high, but I would avoid them.

Toyo R888's are not bad, as they're pretty cheap for a semi slick, but I hear they are also less grippy than more expensive semis. I don't have any experience with semi slicks other than R888's, though, so I can't vouch for that.

Edit: Hankook RS2's are supposed to be among the best road tyres for track use. Very good in the dry and not as bad as Kumho KU15 in the wet, is what I've heard.

alien green rs133
hankock competion tyres are absolutely gash never touching them again!!

silverstone semi slick competion tyres all the way