ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre choice

E90 M3
Im sure its been discussed many times

Tyre size is 195/50/15 - 182 low boost turbo, used for fast road and the odd trackday.

Previously i had Proxi's which in the dry were brilliant, it the wet completely useless. Swapped over for Interstate semi slicks - these were great on the track but on the road i found them really hard to retain heat.

Next suggestions? I've been toying with R888's, or PS3's

E90 M3
I'm getting some ns2r same specs so lets see how good they are.

In other news, what turbo you running?

Not a Scooby do! I bought the car as is to be honest. It’s running around 210-220 hp is all I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Ps3, great all round road tyre. Use them on everything tbh as can pick up the ex ginetta junior ones off Ebay for naff all

E90 M3
How’s it feel to drive? Quick I hope lol

Hard to describe it ... if I was to build the car myself I don’t think I’d bother and I’d stick to the standard 182. As soon as you put that much more power into the chassis your always fighting it and in my opinion you can never get the balance right. Either your at the grip limits of the tyres, or at the limits of the suspension, clutch - it all takes a serious hammering. Bear in mind that mine is a really well sorted healthy machine, will wood 4 pots,fully black series bushes, h and r suspension, helix organic clutch etc. Don’t get me wrong, on the road it’s outstanding, much quicker that my daily RS4!

Point being the clio is a drivers car, do you keep the standard engine and drive it within an inch of its life or turbo it and drive it at 65/70% if what it can do?

I bought mine as is and I’d do it again, if I had a standard clio and was considering turbo-Ing it, then I wouldn’t bother - I could find better ways of using that cash!

As an example - my wllwoods stop brilliant on a standard car - on the turbo it could do with more. The suspension is brilliant but on the turbo it could do with more etc. I’ve read loads recently on the turbo clios - my opinion is unless you had £15k lying around I wouldn’t bother:)I’d spend 3-5k on a standard 172/182 and you’d have a brilliant drivers machine.

I’m in NE23 Newcastle, your welcome to have a jaunt in mine.

dan's cast offs.
No way you should be fighting with a low boost car unless map/power delivery is bad or there is something not right about it.

Standard box isn't the best when you run boost, bit too low geared/fd.

Half decent suspension and decent geometry set up works well with them.

3 deg camber, 1mm toe out and if you can get caster done as well. Got one same set up with spax coilovers running 270bhp and you don't fight with it when you give it beans :)

E90 M3
No way you should be fighting with a low boost car unless map/power delivery is bad or there is something not right about it.

Standard box isn't the best when you run boost, bit too low geared/fd.

Half decent suspension and decent geometry set up works well with them.

3 deg camber, 1mm toe out and if you can get caster done as well. Got one same set up with spax coilovers running 270bhp and you don't fight with it when you give it beans :)

Do you have a diff? Where in the world are you? Wouldn’t mind hooking up?

Coming of a round about in 2nd or 3rd how much throttle can you use without slip?

dan's cast offs.
It hasn't at the mo but just about to build a box up with an atb diff in it. It's had a dci box in so want as bad as standard box for spinning up in lower gears.

Am on the wirral.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Hard to describe it ... if I was to build the car myself I don’t think I’d bother and I’d stick to the standard 182. As soon as you put that much more power into the chassis your always fighting it and in my opinion you can never get the balance right. Either your at the grip limits of the tyres, or at the limits of the suspension, clutch - it all takes a serious hammering. Bear in mind that mine is a really well sorted healthy machine, will wood 4 pots,fully black series bushes, h and r suspension, helix organic clutch etc. Don’t get me wrong, on the road it’s outstanding, much quicker that my daily RS4!

Point being the clio is a drivers car, do you keep the standard engine and drive it within an inch of its life or turbo it and drive it at 65/70% if what it can do?

I bought mine as is and I’d do it again, if I had a standard clio and was considering turbo-Ing it, then I wouldn’t bother - I could find better ways of using that cash!

As an example - my wllwoods stop brilliant on a standard car - on the turbo it could do with more. The suspension is brilliant but on the turbo it could do with more etc. I’ve read loads recently on the turbo clios - my opinion is unless you had £15k lying around I wouldn’t bother:)I’d spend 3-5k on a standard 172/182 and you’d have a brilliant drivers machine.

I’m in NE23 Newcastle, your welcome to have a jaunt in mine.

I'm in the process of building a 250-300 clio 182 engine that's why I was wondering. I'm not too far into it yet, I was hoping for more positives than negatives but sounds like you're really on the fence with yours? I would love a blast in it mate but I'm Wolverhampton, bit too far for me to travel haha.

I've been looking at Willwoods and a Bilstein B14 combination. Maybe I should shop around some more.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I tried a set of Pilot sport 3 last winter, and I wasn't impressed at all. I was much happier when I ditched them for another set of AD08R's.
Just as good in the wet for me as PS3's, but much better feel and confidence with them. I'll be using AD08R's on my 182 through this winter as it's my daily again now

For mainly road use and the odd track day I'd go with AD08R's. Though I've read quite a few negative reviews when running them on hot track days. But the Yoko is more of a road tyre, so got to be expected really.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Ps3, great all round road tyre. Use them on everything tbh as can pick up the ex ginetta junior ones off Ebay for naff all
Glad you reminded me, I nearly bought 2 long longs for the daughters Clio for £60 but got a set of barely used PS3's for £90 instead. 👍 Dad of the year for me I think😁.

I tried a set of Pilot sport 3 last winter, and I wasn't impressed at all. I was much happier when I ditched them for another set of AD08R's.
Just as good in the wet for me as PS3's, but much better feel and confidence with them. I'll be using AD08R's on my 182 through this winter as it's my daily again now

For mainly road use and the odd track day I'd go with AD08R's. Though I've read quite a few negative reviews when running them on hot track days. But the Yoko is more of a road tyre, so got to be expected really.
Do you think the softer compound on the AD08Rs might have been a deciding factor in improving the 'feel' over winter?

Could the PS3s get a bit hard in cold weather?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Do you think the softer compound on the AD08Rs might have been a deciding factor in improving the 'feel' over winter?

Could the PS3s get a bit hard in cold weather?

I think it was just due to the softer construction, the stability wasn't great with the PS3's. Felt like the rim was rolling over the tyre, much like when running Rainsport 3's.

I just had no confidence in them when throwing the car into a fast corner. The grip wasn't bad, but in anything other than heavy rain, the AD08R's seemed to have better grip. However this might have just been due to my confidence and feel with the tyres.

I think it was just due to the softer construction, the stability wasn't great with the PS3's. Felt like the rim was rolling over the tyre, much like when running Rainsport 3's.

I just had no confidence in them when throwing the car into a fast corner. The grip wasn't bad, but in anything other than heavy rain, the AD08R's seemed to have better grip. However this might have just been due to my confidence and feel with the tyres.
That's weird - I found them to feel very stable during cornering, nothing like the roll-over-tastic Toyos I had on the valver many years ago!

Were you running low-ish tyre pressures?

I've not tried the AD08R, I am a bit scared of what looks like semi-slicks in the rain, lol.

That said, I do have the NS-2R on mine at the moment... not that it is running, of course... but when it is, I think I shall be buying some winter tyres this year!

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
That's weird - I found them to feel very stable during cornering, nothing like the roll-over-tastic Toyos I had on the valver many years ago!

Were you running low-ish tyre pressures?

I've not tried the AD08R, I am a bit scared of what looks like semi-slicks in the rain, lol.

That said, I do have the NS-2R on mine at the moment... not that it is running, of course... but when it is, I think I shall be buying some winter tyres this year!

I did try upping the pressure quite a few times, before giving up on them.

I've had NS-2R in the past, and they're not good in the wet. Similar to driving T1R's i'd say. The AD08R is basically a road tyre, that can be used on track. Provided there isn't loads of standing water, they handle the wet pretty well. The only time I've had issues with the AD08R is then the tread started getting low, they don't like the wet when they start getting down to like 3mm

I did try upping the pressure quite a few times, before giving up on them.

I've had NS-2R in the past, and they're not good in the wet. Similar to driving T1R's i'd say. The AD08R is basically a road tyre, that can be used on track. Provided there isn't loads of standing water, they handle the wet pretty well. The only time I've had issues with the AD08R is then the tread started getting low, they don't like the wet when they start getting down to like 3mm
Thanks for the feedback :)

So far I don't think I've driven in the wet on the NS-2R - I wasn't holding out much hope for them :LOL: lol

I've had a couple of 'interesting' aquaplaning experiences on PS3s and Contis that were, er, 'near' the wear markers... so changing before they get dicey is a good plan! haha

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I switch my AD08R's over in the winter to PS3's as a general rule. I remember pulling over into the car park at Hutton Le Hole with 205/16 AD08R's and my missus and a few locals had to push me out. The car park is on a slight incline and there was a very light dusting of snow and just zero traction. On saying that I did a wet trackday at Croft last weekend with the AD08R's and was pushing fairly hard and they seemed to have decent grip. I was on 15" wheels with 195 tyres this time though. So in my experience the AD08r's are superior in the dry to the PS3 and can handle a decent amount of damp/wet road surface as long as the temperatures are up. But as soon as the temps drop and we get a touch of snow or those frosty mornings the PS3 comes into their own.