ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Pressures long distance

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quick one,driving down to Cornwall next fri from Essex,what would anyone recommend for tyre pressures in this heat with camping gear and two people in the clio.
Ive read some say higher some lower pressure,at the moment its 33psi Front & 30 rear with yoko s-drives.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I do Le Mans in mine with a ton of gear in the back just on standard pressures 33/30.

1200 mile round trip, no problem.

Should probably put 33 in the rear too but hey.

I believe the general recommendation is to increase tyre pressures when running long distance at high speed, especially when carrying heavier loads than usual, but I always found my Clio to be very sensitive to tyre pressures so just left them as per their usual.

Don't forget that tyres are running across the world in 40+ degree heat in other, considerably more vast countries, so you shouldn't have any issues with what is a few hundred miles across this slightly-warmer-than-usual small island of ours :)

If you're using the M25, it's not like you'll be going that fast anyway ;)

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Increase? Surely when a tyre is used over long distance, it heats up and the air expands. I wouldn't worry personally but when I'm at the track I usually always air the tyres down because when I pit they're usually 5-10psi higher than when I started.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
On a long distance drive they wont be under the same strain as cornering on track, wont be working so hard and generate less heat than a track day
Plus he’ll be carrying more weight which will be a requirement for slightly higher pressures
Just go by OEM pressures as stated for the load your carrying