ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre problem! Losing air [photo inside]

971290_10151750161514459_1133117009_n.jpg

Yesterday I noticed it was down to 10psi.

Filled it back up to 32 and now it's slowly going back down... just washed the car and I can hear a hissing noise coming from it which is when I notice this gap in between the tyre and alloy.

Is it fixable or new tyre time? I need the car tomorrow for work :dapprove: f**k 182s and their missing spare wheels!

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Can't really see if the tyre is damaged or not.

​I'd take it to a trustworthy tyre place - it could just be a case that the tyre wants refitting or there is something wedged in there.

It doesn't look it - just looks like there's a mysterious gap.

Apologies for the shitty photo!

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Have you tried pumping it up with a compressor? You may find it'll just pop back on the bead. You might need a fair bit of pressure to get there, though!

If in doubt, just take it to a tyre shop.

Have you tried pumping it up with a compressor? You may find it'll just pop back on the bead. You might need a fair bit of pressure to get there, though!

If in doubt, just take it to a tyre shop.
I've just been down to a local one, he said it's not fixable. Didn't mention anything about remounting it though so I could ask.

I used one at a garage... are you saying over inflate it slightly to get it to pop back on then reduce it back down to 32?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I've just been down to a local one, he said it's not fixable. Didn't mention anything about remounting it though so I could ask.

I used one at a garage... are you saying over inflate it slightly to get it to pop back on then reduce it back down to 32?

Possibly, but you're probably talking somewhere close to 50PSI if that is the issue - not something someone inexperienced should really be doing. An exploding tyre is very dangerous!

Did the place you spoke to not indicate what the issue was?

I'd take it somewhere else and ask them if they can try and refit it - it'll be immediately evident if it's damaged once it's off the rim.

clio 172 phase 2
Needs a rim clean (ooerr . Then refit tyre bit of bead sealer jobs a goodun unless you have a hairline crack which i have seen on turinis before !

It's currently in a reputable tyre place now after being told 3 different things by 3 different people!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
To re seat, try completely deflating and trying to remove the bead from the wheel yourself, then a compressor to re inflate and re seat it properly

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Possible flaking paint on the inner rim? Break bead, sand paper, sealants, re-inflate. Job done.

Tyre had a 'tear' in it on that bit. Knackered Michelin PS3 with 6mm left = unhappy jesus :dapprove:

Yup :dapprove: I'll get a picture later or tomorrow, the tyre is screwed. Also, check your PMs please gally :)

Nissan sunny gtir
Was it damaged when it was fitted? Seen so many people split/tear the bead when fitting tyres. I'd put money on it being damaged when it was fitted but proving it is a different story

Last edited:
It must have been :dapprove:

I wouldn't use Sheldons in Manchester again (someone recommended it to me) - they dropped my mate's car off two jacks as well.