ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre recommendation

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
I know it's not about the Clio, but maybe I can get some help from you guys.

So my MOT is due soon, and the fronts will need changing ( will pass MOT with current ones), but recently noticed that one of my rears has started to crack, so will need 4 new tyres on the daily, which is a heavy V6 diesel, with 18's ( 225/45 - which are a pain to find a good price for them ).
I am looking online and all nice and good, but reviews are mixed. Looking to pay around 120/ fitted tyre, and found the following :

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance
Pirelli P7 Cinturato and the version with Seal Inside ( same price )
Pirelli P Zero
Vredestein Ultrac Satin
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti

Any recommendations from this ones ? Or anything else ?

I would look for something that won't wear in 10k :).

F1s out of that lot, unless you can get the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or 4.

P Zero seem to sometimes be liked and sometimes not, but that may just be my bias against Pirelli due to their shocking P7000, lol.

Don't get the eco-crap - I want grip when I want it, not squealing understeer but 3p a mile better fuel economy.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
it's worth mentioning, it won't actually fail if they're cracked. Only if the cracks are down to the cords.
as above, i'd take the F1's out of that list.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
As above I’d go with the f1’s from that list. I’ve used p-zero’s which were also good. I wouldn’t overlook hankook tyres, normally slightly cheaper and I’ve had good experiences with those also. Think I had Ventus v 12’s.

Falken FK510 are brilliant for the money. I had them on my heavy Mondeo ST TDCI in 225/40/18 and loved them. Also had the GY Efficient grip and F1 5's which were also very good just a bit softer sidewalls than the FK510's.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Falken FK510 are brilliant for the money. I had them on my heavy Mondeo ST TDCI in 225/40/18 and loved them. Also had the GY Efficient grip and F1 5's which were also very good just a bit softer sidewalls than the FK510's.

I also agree with this.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've just has a set of Goodyear eagle AS 5's fitted to my big and heavy daily (passat CC 3.6 4motion), also on 18s. I'm really impressed. They were replacing the landsails that came with the car, so it's not quite a top end comparison, but they are quiet, comfortable, grip well and generally do the job nicely.
That being said, the passat is a barge, not a sports car so I'm not that bothered by feedback, stiff sidewalls or turn in.

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
it's worth mentioning, it won't actually fail if they're cracked. Only if the cracks are down to the cords.
as above, i'd take the F1's out of that list.
It might not fail the mot, but are budgets, so this is another reason to get rid of them :)

Hankook V12's are decent for a road Clio tbh.
I will have a look at these. But they won't go on a Clio :) .

I also agree with this.

Well the PS4 are 120 + fitting, while the Falken FK510 is £2 less than that,and tbh, I would go for PS4 for that money, as everyone says that they very good.

I've just has a set of Goodyear eagle AS 5's fitted to my big and heavy daily (passat CC 3.6 4motion), also on 18s. I'm really impressed. They were replacing the landsails that came with the car, so it's not quite a top end comparison, but they are quiet, comfortable, grip well and generally do the job nicely.
That being said, the passat is a barge, not a sports car so I'm not that bothered by feedback, stiff sidewalls or turn in.
Landsails are on it now, and they are utterly...The car is a Laguna coupe, but still, it's not a sports car. Like you, I am looking for a comfortable tyre for the daily commute and motorway munch , but sometimes I want to 'throw' it into a corner, and don't want to land in a ditch :)

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
What a bargain !!!

But I need 225/45/18 , and need 95 the load index also :rolleyes:

These tyres have some silly prices compared to the 225/40 ones

Forgot to ask, why would you guys take the Asymmetric 5 out of that list ? @White16valver @RSRowe
Had a deeper look tonight, and people say that's better than the PS4

Last edited:
What a bargain !!!

But I need 225/45/18 , and need 95 the load index also :rolleyes:

These tyres have some silly prices compared to the 225/40 ones

Forgot to ask, why would you guys take the Asymmetric 5 out of that list ? @White16valver @RSRowe
Had a deeper look tonight, and people say that's better than the PS4
I've not tried either of these iterations TBH but both F1 and PS* get good reviews consistently. Sometimes they are 'not quite as good as they could be' but are ahead of other manufacturers. Check out the evo magazine tyre reviews as they are pretty good in terms of testing tyres how a driver would want to test them, not your grandad looking to get 35000 miles out of a set of eco tyres like many other reviews seem to be.

The F1 GS-D2 I had on the valver were amazing - you could drive like it was dry when it was slashing it down, and going round the outside of a 911 on a damp roundabout was amusing, lol.

I've had PS3 on the current car (RWD, no driver aids) and they've stuck very well, even when I've ballsed things up badly.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Pilot sport 4

Better than anything you've got listed there. Kwikfit have 10% off Michelin too with a code (on their website) and are actually competitively priced too, I was surprised that they were the same price as blackcircles without discount and they do mobile fitting!

Renault Clio RS MK4
I would go for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S they are brilliant.
Does anyone know where I can get a set of locking wheel nuts for a clio rs mk 4?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Renault Clio RS MK4
Can you get the P4S in 18" ?
I think so
2743a1a203aea3eed843eb535c801a72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
There’s a difference between the PS4 and PS4S, the PS4S is the more performance oriented of the two and not available in 18” in the UK.

That being said, I’ve had the goodyears before and Falkens and PS4 currently and I can’t really fault any of them altough the Falkens aren’t fitted to a performance car.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Best place for some 195/45/16 PS3/AD08/NS2R?

OR am I better off going for 205/46/16 on Tuninis? I'm not worried about tramlining as the car wont be used a great deal in the motorway and it has -2⁰ camber up front and -1.5⁰ on the rear

Best place for some 195/45/16 PS3/AD08/NS2R?

OR am I better off going for 205/46/16 on Tuninis? I'm not worried about tramlining as the car wont be used a great deal in the motorway and it has -2⁰ camber up front and -1.5⁰ on the rear
I dont find tram lining a problem with mine, 16mm spacers with oem wheels. Just hold the wheel tight, unless theres loads of play in the steering it shouldnt wonder should it? :giggle:

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I dont find tram lining a problem with mine, 16mm spacers with oem wheels. Just hold the wheel tight, unless theres loads of play in the steering it shouldnt wonder should it? :giggle:
I thought that, I never had an issue in my old dCi with 205 but all my bushes were new

172 everything is solid and 16mm spacers up front too haha

The Goodyear Assy 5 is comparable in performance to PS4 although will likely wear slightly quicker. Michelin have nailed the trick of great grip vs longevity better than any other manufacturer.

The Goodyear Supersport is comparable to the PS4S at a lower price point and in a wider range of sizes.

The PS3 is outdated technology these days and really shouldn’t be on the shortlist.

There’s a difference between the PS4 and PS4S, the PS4S is the more performance oriented of the two and not available in 18” in the UK.

That being said, I’ve had the goodyears before and Falkens and PS4 currently and I can’t really fault any of them altough the Falkens aren’t fitted to a performance car.
You can now get the PS4S in the UK in 235/40/18 and 215/35/18.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah that's great news, I looked on Michelins website only the other day and there it said still no suppliers for the UK!

Those sizes won't fit my car anyway so probably get the Goodyear Supersports next anyway!

Fair enough

I've got 225/40/18 PS3 on my Megane I've had no issues with them at all just for reference
There were a decent tyre in the day, launched as the replacement for the PE2 which was standard fit on the the Clio Trophy, but they were Michelin’s mid-range tyre deliberately positioned below the PS2 and PSS not top of the line when new, and that was 10 years ago.

The PS4/PS4S and the newest Goodyears are a big step on.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
There were a decent tyre in the day, launched as the replacement for the PE2 which was standard fit on the the Clio Trophy, but they were Michelin’s mid-range tyre deliberately positioned below the PS2 and PSS not top of the line when new, and that was 10 years ago.

The PS4/PS4S and the newest Goodyears are a big step on.
When these finally get too low I was gonna try the PS4. I don't think I'll ever run something like the PSS due to it being a daily and it gets used in all weather conditions

If they're any better then the PS3 then they will be mint because no matter how hard I push these PS3's they haven't let go on the road yet

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I’m after some new rubber for the Volvo as they’re getting close to the limit. Are there any good deals anywhere on 4 x 225 45 17?

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Worth Keep in eyes peeled for cash back deals on Michelin. Got £100 back on prepaid card last year on 4 x ps4s.

3 years ago I got £50 on 2 x ps2.

I ordered online from local dealer then got cash back leaflet in dealer.

They seem to do a couple of times a year.

Reactions: Ben