ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre shoulder wear

Ph2 172
Hi all,

I'm on to my second track dedicated Clio after stupidly selling the first one as soon as I'd got it to a level I was happy with.

The new car is all standard bar eibach sportlines and camber bolts set at -2 degrees. I've done two days at knockhill and both days I absolutely killed the outer shoulders of the tyres (down the the cords last time out!) I've never had this issue with my previous car on three different suspension set ups which is what is leading me to think there's something 'wrong' with the current spec.

I've purchased solid top mounts to go on as I've got the idea in my head that the strut is moving around under load and ruining the geometry?

I have a mate with the same suspension set up and his car is doing the same thing to tyres. We're both trying to keep the cars as cheap as possible so we're looking to find the cheapest solution. Would rather not shell out £1k for AVO Coilovers again if I can help it!

Cheers

What tyres and what pressures Andy? I run -3 degrees on the front just fyi. I used to get serious wear when I used RSRs on the front, changed to 888s and they wear much more evenly, still wear the shoulder, but to a lesser degree on my front left (clockwise circuit) after 4-5 track daysI keep my tyres @30 psi hot all round. Your suspension is too soft for serious track work though imo

Ph2 172
I use AD08Rs on this car, I have a worn set of 888s for croft this coming Monday. I was at 30 hot all round.

I agree the suspension is too soft, but I can't help but drive the wheels off it!

How have you managed -3 mate? My bolts max out at roughly -2, I had spax coilovers many moons ago that had a slotted hole on the shock for camber, is that similar to what you're using?

I use AD08Rs on this car, I have a worn set of 888s for croft this coming Monday. I was at 30 hot all round.

I agree the suspension is too soft, but I can't help but drive the wheels off it!

How have you managed -3 mate? My bolts max out at roughly -2, I had spax coilovers many moons ago that had a slotted hole on the shock for camber, is that similar to what you're using?

I've a combination of camber bolts and Ast top mounts but have seen others with slots in the struts, mine started off at -2 and feels much better on track with the extra degree :)