ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre size 172 Cup

Hi, sure this has been discussed but wanted to ask.

I have just bought a 2002 172 cup with standard 16" Turini wheels which is running Hankook Ventus V12 tyres in 205/45/16, are these correct?

I ask because it seems to tramline and is worse one rough roads which has had roadworks to one side of the lane and wants to wonder with the road surface.

I want to swap it to run Michelin Pilot Sports but am unsure on the size, I'm sure they should be 195/45/16.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah 195, 205 do tend to do what you've described.

15's in 195 are spot on if you decided to go to that way in the future

1. price compared to Michelin PS3 even with my discount through work and an array of tyre suppliers I have access to they were still big money.
  2. good reviews from various people on here, pistonheads and work friends who own/owned RS models.
  3. If I remember correctly Continentals were the O.E spec tyre for the Clio as well as Megane 2 models from that era.

PH2 172
  1. price compared to Michelin PS3 even with my discount through work and an array of tyre suppliers I have access to they were still big money.
  2. good reviews from various people on here, pistonheads and work friends who own/owned RS models.
  3. If I remember correctly Continentals were the O.E spec tyre for the Clio as well as Megane 2 models from that era.
I thought the contact 5 was a better wet weather tyre, and Rainsport 3`s are about £20 a corner less than the Conti`s with A rated wet grip.

Since having these replaced I must admit it drives and handles so much better, can't understand why you'd put the larger tyres on has it massively compromised the handling.

Correct.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I've decided to go for a set of Continental CONTI SPORT 3 in 195/45/16 V

Since having these replaced I must admit it drives and handles so much better, can't understand why you'd put the larger tyres on has it massively compromised the handling.

That size CS3 was the best 'road' tyre I ever put on my 172 Cup. I was truly amazed at the wet weather grip!

You are right, the Conti Sport Contact was the OE tyre for the 172 Cup, not sure about others.