ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu Linux

Wow! :)

I'm with my lappy playing on the net with a copy of Ubuntu linux that isnt even installed. You can boot up off straight from the CD to a working shell and use it like it was booted off the HD. Firefox, OpenOffice all ready to use (alittle slow off the CD).

I'm just amazed it's recognised ALL of my hardware first time, even the wireless network that Linspire wouldnt do! Vista can piss reet off, I'm going to play with this for sometime...

Website and download on:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Citroen DS3 DSport
I tried that when I had my XP pc, was very good and installed all my devices without problem too.

I havn't got the balls to give linux a proper try.

Try this Ollie you dont have to install it thats the point. You can install it if you want but it will totally boot off the CD so it leave windows completely alone!

ive done a proper install a few times, with diff distros to, but can never get to grips with installing stuff. And i only installed it for a change from windows, but once i had installed linux, and tried for 30 mins pissin about tryin to find out how to install stuff, just realised how much easier and hastle free windows actually is for me.

I use it on my laptop most of the time instead of windows. Very good but I struggled to get wireless working with WPA as its a belkin card who wont release official drivers for it :mad: Only a couple of other small niggles.

yep, I was really supprised that wireless worked.

I've booted it twice off the CD, but will install it later on the HD.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I use it on my laptop most of the time instead of windows. Very good but I struggled to get wireless working with WPA as its a belkin card who wont release official drivers for it :mad: Only a couple of other small niggles.

WPA piece of piss...

Belkin dont release drivers but you can easily use NdisWrapper/NetworkManger to do the job.. takes 2 minutes and will autoconnect when there is a wireless network in range. :D

VW ....
keep it up guys ... this is serious tent material to KDF :rasp:

btw ... did u ever patent this ??

geek.gif

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
PMSL .. he's even got the spikey bits of hair at the back...

I did try to patent it but found that people who used it kept forgetting to put it on charge once they'd finished !!! ergo.. fecking no use to the next person who wanted to use it !!

Golf GTI 1.8T
benclelland fixed my dell laptop using ubuntu when it suddenly had a missing file and blue screen error. was well amazed, he tried about 3 different linux os's. and that was the only one to boot.

he's proper brains though, looks to difficult for me.

RS 200
I've used Ubuntu too, probably my favourite of the flavours of linux I've tried so far, in terms of a beginner anyway.

Like above it picks up hardware well but what most impressed me was the way it could see and use my windows workgroup network without me having to configure anything, brilliant.

Thats were I got it from. I'm running the 32 bit version due to me being unsure about the 64 bit version running with all the components in my laptop.

The server its on is excellent. I had about 450kb/per sec out of it yesterday afternoon. It's only about 15 miles from my house. lol!

WPA piece of piss...

Belkin dont release drivers but you can easily use NdisWrapper/NetworkManger to do the job.. takes 2 minutes and will autoconnect when there is a wireless network in range. :D

Thats what I did, using NetworkManager but its still an early version and it randomly drops the connection/wont connect at times. Haven't got round to updating it yet.

Not a Clio
Good choice of distro.

You need to give beryl a try!

What is the Beryl Project?

Beryl is a fork of Compiz, we seek to provide a free, open source desktop experience to the community that reflects the wishes of the users. Above all else, we seek to listen to and respond to the requests of our user base.

Beryl is a combined window manager and composite manager written in C using OpenGL to provide acceleration. It is designed to be highly flexible, extensible, and portable, while all the while keeping in mind that the users knows how they want their desktops to act better than we do. With Beryl the rather esoteric concept of the computer desktop is brought down to a more human level, allowing for a more native and intuitive understanding of your workspace.

Beryl is not dependent on any single xserver architecture, running on top of Xgl, AIGLX, and the beta nvidia binary drivers, providing the user the option to select what is best for them.

beryl.gif

^ Clicky ^

Last edited:
  Fiat Panda 100hp

Thats were I got it from. I'm running the 32 bit version due to me being unsure about the 64 bit version running with all the components in my laptop.

The server its on is excellent. I had about 450kb/per sec out of it yesterday afternoon. It's only about 15 miles from my house. lol!

I'm getting 450 too :D