ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ultimate epic Clio track spec?

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Just seems abit fictional tbh.

Your on here to find out what are the best bits.

You have a friend who runs a company that supplies said bits coincidently

Your now only in uni and won't be doing it for atleast 6 months now

You won't disclose who said company is, yet your on about getting them good advertising by plastering its name on the car.

The parts he supplies aren't Clio specific. Any specific parts will probably be bought/supplies through BTM cos they are top guys

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
The company name has nothing to do with finding out a decent spec for a track clio which is what this topic is about

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The company name has nothing to do with finding out a decent spec for a track clio which is what this topic is about

Best bet is probably if you come back when you have the money and hence no how much money you have, as currently with the "5-10k" budget, that means 2K to buy a car and then between 3 and 7 to modify it, which is obvioulsy far too wide a range to come up with any definitive parts list for you.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Personally I think all competition builds should start from the same point:
Safety first - you are the most important part to consider when you build a car so get the best safety gear you can afford. Get a decent roll cage professionally fitted, with the best seat and harness you can afford and get the mounts done properly because a good seat is no good if it rips out of the floor if you crash. Get an extinguisher - it could literally save your skin.
If you have a small budget stick to suspension and brake mods - this is what will make the car quick. A half decent coilover kit set up properly with a few sets of springs to try in testing and an adjustable rear bar will get you a long way into a quick car. Testing set ups though is where you will gain most time. Do tyre temp testing and change camber accordingly. Only change one thing at a time so you don't end up going in circles. If you can afford it get some products that remove compliance in the suspension (anyone know where to get them from?!)
The clio brakes are big enough to keep so just uprate the discs and pads and you're away.
If you've got money left over go and do some more testing!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you can afford it get some products that remove compliance in the suspension (anyone know where to get them from?!)

FLOL
blatant plug is blatant

Personally I think all competition builds should start from the same point:
Safety first - you are the most important part to consider when you build a car so get the best safety gear you can afford. Get a decent roll cage professionally fitted, with the best seat and harness you can afford and get the mounts done properly because a good seat is no good if it rips out of the floor if you crash. Get an extinguisher - it could literally save your skin.
If you have a small budget stick to suspension and brake mods - this is what will make the car quick. A half decent coilover kit set up properly with a few sets of springs to try in testing and an adjustable rear bar will get you a long way into a quick car. Testing set ups though is where you will gain most time. Do tyre temp testing and change camber accordingly. Only change one thing at a time so you don't end up going in circles.

All good points though, being quick in a race car is all about corner speed without a doubt.

That said though, Trackday cars and race cars have slightly different requirements a lot of the time.
For most trackdays these days in the UK where you are typically NOT allowed to overtake mid bend, and hence often not able to go at your max corner speed on most bends anyway as you are limited by what other people are doing, its less cricual than it is in a race car, and likewise if you are allowed only to overtake in a straight line it means that you do need straightline pace to get past the people who are holding you up in the bends.
In a race you would overtake by outbreaking them into a bend but on a trackday you arent allowed to do so.

I used to have a trackday mini that very very quick in the bends, but lacked straight line pace, and it was epic fun outbreaking everyone and getting past them all in the corners UNTIL all the tracks changed the rules and said I wasnt allowed to overtake mid bend on a trackday anymore, at that point it became a frustrating car to drive, just following everyone else through the twisty bits and then being unable to get past them on the straight.

So I do think that people need to recognise the difference between what race cars and trackday cars each need to do.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying cornering speed isnt good fun in a trackday car it is, but in terms of getting past the other people on the track its a lot less useful to rely on than it is in a race.

They are VERY different driving styles between a race and a trackday.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
What plug?!

Sorry I thought we were talking about a track car as in just a track car not an occasional track day car. I'm confused as usual.

Fred - £10k for six months work seems very reasonable, want a job?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What plug?!

For your range of rosejointed wishbones and topmounts etc (good bits of kit by the way, have improved my car)

Sorry I thought we were talking about a track car as in just a track car not an occasional track day car. I'm confused as usual.

Going on track to do what?
To do a trackday, or to compete in a race or a sprint etc?

To most people on this forum a car for track means going and doing trackdays and action days etc.

Fred - £10k for six months work seems very reasonable, want a job?

Flol

Lionel Richie
no one said anything about actually working for 6months solid, barbados for 6weeks whilst the shell is away ;)

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
People think they can just bolt bits on, and go quickly. It doesn't happen like that.

I agree with you, hence this topic. If I can build on the knowledge of people who know what they are on about (such as you), I can skip out several steps :clap: Then tailor the set up to my requirements.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
People think they can just bolt bits on, and go quickly. It doesn't happen like that.

If i had a pound for everytime i said that on here id be able to fuel a Clio 200 for my daily commute.

Best mods i did to my Trophy, in order:

Tuition - years of it at uni.
Decent buckets/harnesses - so you dont fall out the seat when cornering.
Cage - so my head didnt get squashed in the event that i rolled it.
Decent pads & fog light/arch liner removal - so i could brake later into the corners.
Whiteline ARB - to induce more oversteer upon turn in.
R888's - if you wanna go fast, T1R's if you wanna have fun.

Engine mods? Personally, i find that a good handling car, peddled well, will keep up with a high power car, driven poorly. So i never really bothered. Too many ££££'s for very little gain.