ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Under bonnet clean..!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Thinking of jetwashing under the bonnet as it it filthy..Any does and donts ?? What prodcuts to use etc..?

172 cup

106 GTi
I use Autoglym Engine and machine cleaner.

Try and use as little water as possible. Low pressure hose and dampen the engine bay, spray on the degreaser, agaitate with a brush, leave to dwell for 5 mins, and rine of again with a low pressure flow of water using as little as possible. While wet you can dress with something like Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care and just allow to dry. Polish metal and paintwork and jobs a good un.

Avoid getting anything wet that looks like it may get damaged by water. If in doubt bag it up.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I don't really know too much about this but my dad power washed the engine area of our astra and we drove off down the road a few hours later and it cut out and it wouldn't start again! Turns out the distributor cap got wet! Doh!
I had to push it back up the hill!

106 GTi
My Clio engine bay has not really got dirty enough to do have to do the above on. My old 306 at 5/6 years old.

35P5290011.jpg

35P3210072.jpg

35P3210047.jpg

Auotoglym engine and machine cleaner and Vinyl and Rubber dressing.

1.6 focus zetec....
bloody hell thats mint r-jay....im too scared to clean under my bonnet unless i get something wet that isnt ment to be and then have to pay loads to repair it....

Kiza

106 GTi
You just need to use as little waeter as possible. Annything or anywhere you dont want to get wet, avoid of cover up.

I am halfway through doing an engine bay cleaning guide cleaning guide will post it up when its done.

^^ same here Kiza, so i'm just gonna paint my engine cover to try and distract attention away from the bits that arent clean ;)

I'll be cleaning my engine bay this weekend!

r-jay can you use the AG engine cleaner on painted areas? (haven't used it before :eek:)

106 GTi
Works fine Jay, I then polish and wax those areas with what I am using on the exterior.

BTW AG engine cleaner works great on wheels.

Clio 172 mk2
I usually get in there with a clean cloth and use some elbow grease....my old car engine came out okay.

Enginebay.jpg

Clio 172 mk2
That WRX was one well looked after car....was 11 years old when I sold it.

Really kept on top of the engine bay cleaning..used to give it the once over on quite a regular basis as quite a lot of dirt used to get round the sides of the bonnet and in the IC scoop.

106 GTi
If you keep on top of it weekly like Neil says you will never have to do a full clean. I do mine as part of the weekly wash, five mins to do.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ok chaps..as this is up i will semi hijack it as i was gonna post anyway

i am gonna go over my valver engine bay..i think it is gonna be the be the first time it has been cleaned..so...whats the best way to do it...

i don't particularly wanna use water

106 GTi
How dirty is it?

You really need a certain amount of water to rinse the degreaser and grime of it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
r-jay said:
How dirty is it?

You really need a certain amount of water to rinse the degreaser and grime of it.

its not really that dirty actually..its just down in the nooks and crannies theres build up of crap etc....

is it ok to use the AG engine and machien cleaner on the metal work of the engine bay?

i.e strut tops etc.
as mine are quite mucky where you cant get in, right in the corner of the strut tops

106 GTi
I use the AG engine and machine cleaner over everything Guy, metal, plastic rubber, paint. Works fine. Its paint safe, same product almost to there Motorcycle cleaner which can be used on everythig to. I use either or on my engine bay and wheels.

Freebone - if thats the case use a small brush with some on the end and try and work it into the areas where the dirt has collected.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
cheers r jay...dunno when i will be doing this yet..maybe taking some of the engine apart so may do it then

autoglym engine and machine cleaner then

ST
Very very clean indeed mate....my mate had a TD 306 in that colour and it always looked superb in the sun!

can you just spray the engine and machine cleaner on the inner bit of your alloys, try and rub it in, then rinse off??

or is it wheels off jobby??

seen yozza on about fairy power spray on here for cleanign wheels.. ive got some of that but not sure if it will be too harsh?

106 GTi
Freebone said:
cheers r jay...dunno when i will be doing this yet..maybe taking some of the engine apart so may do it then

autoglym engine and machine cleaner then

Nice one, we will have a chat when we PC the paint anyway if need be.

16vClio said:
Very very clean indeed mate....my mate had a TD 306 in that colour and it always looked superb in the sun!

Cheers mate.

GuyS said:
can you just spray the engine and machine cleaner on the inner bit of your alloys, try and rub it in, then rinse off??

or is it wheels off jobby??

seen yozza on about fairy power spray on here for cleanign wheels.. ive got some of that but not sure if it will be too harsh?

I spray it on, brush using a halfords wheel brush and shampoo in the inners, rinse with the hose. Works fine even with the wheels on. The AG is paintwork safe, non acidic so I just stick to that.

just sprayed it on and used a paintbrush to brush it into tyres an wheels. cleanes them up ok

will wait till the summer to take wheels off and give them a proper clean and a polish/seal and do the arches too

the engine and machine stuff doesnt seem to want to clean the corner of my strut top mounts though :( theres not much else in the engine bay to clean really as the engine has the massive engine cover on and the bulkhead has all heat proofing anyway..

do you use it to clean the fuel rail protector alloy bit?

106 GTi
GuyS said:
the engine and machine stuff doesnt seem to want to clean the corner of my strut top mounts though :( theres not much else in the engine bay to clean really as the engine has the massive engine cover on and the bulkhead has all heat proofing anyway..

do you use it to clean the fuel rail protector alloy bit?

I would look at something a little stronger. Meguiars All Pupropse Cleaner is good as you can mix it up to different strengths.

Not needed anything on the fuel rail protector yet apart from a wipe with a damp cloth.

Took my engine cover of to clean up the pipe work etc around and covered by it.

IMG_5813.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
^^^looks very clean...can't wait to get into my bay now.....i have some trick bits coming so i will wait till i am doing that and then give it a mega clean..will be a bonnet off jobbie i think

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
as i have a day to do nothing tomorrow i think i am gonna get the bonnet off and give the engine a really good clean then..have to get some cleaner in the morning then will set upon it..

any tips then?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
obviously no more tips...lol

had to get halfrauds own stuff as they didn't sell the ag stuff..just to clarify

spray on degreaser...
add water
wipe off and then treat to rubber / vinyl care

106 GTi
Take an area - lightly spray the area to be degreased with water. Spary on the degreaser, agitate with a brush, leave to dwell for 5 mins or so and rinse off. Repeat on the area till its clean, and move onto the next section.

Cover and areas well you dont want to get wet. Use a low pressure gentle flow of water when rinisng.

You can then dry and dress or spary the AG Vinyl and rubber on wet sufaces and leave to dry.

Polish the paintwork and metal with relevant products.