ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Underseat Sub?

So, I'm back in love with it. Just needed some fiddling with the head unit to improve things.
do you think the pioneer or the kenwood one will match up to what you have and fit?:)

Will do ill order nxt wk
Looks like it will fit nice

okay well let me know, i may have one before if i can decide but at the moment i cant haha do the sports seats have the same amount of room under the seats as mine? not sure if any layout is different thats all

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone does fancy a small boot sub, give me a shout. I have this just taking up room at mine, pickup only though.

[video]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/VWSylviaT4/Random%20Stuff/634805A6-5539-4016-BA35-EC19CE4A6D43-266-00000019A543A654.jpg[/video]

Polo + Micra
are you really going to gain much from adding a 50w sub into a car, i doubt it.

i'd say for the price id add a ktp-445 amp into the mix rather than a pointless "subwoofer"

i'd say for the price id add a ktp-445 amp into the mix rather than a pointless "subwoofer"

Cheap but dedicated under seat sub doing <200 Hz plus standard/cheap components doing 200 Hz - 25 KHz off an 18W RMS headunit

vs 45W RMS driving four 5.25" (which obviously aren't suited to sub 200 Hz)

Preference ?????

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
the sub doing 200Hz down to about 80Hz @ about -12dB

so yeah 4x 5.25" speakers all day long.

there is no replacement for displacement;)

Polo + Micra
ive got some vibes off a friend, vibe se k-series, 6" in the front and 5.25" in the back but on standard wiring, a lot better sounding than standard. Id rather a dedicated under seat sub really :)

the wiring will do nothing to the output unless you start putting lots of power down it.

if your running those off a headunit you will see a massive difference andding an amp to them as you will probably be losing output by only sticking a small amount of power into them

the wiring will do nothing to the output unless you start putting lots of power down it.

if your running those off a headunit you will see a massive difference andding an amp to them as you will probably be losing output by only sticking a small amount of power into them

i am running those off a headunit :( so i know the power wont be there :( i guess i could consider an amp first, i would still possibly want an underseat sub as the videos and reviews ive seen have been really good

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

Unless you're planning on drowning all else out with wikid bass, an underseat sub is perfectly ample at any reasonable volume.

My last car had some really decent door speakers, and this car has upgraded ones too, but the sound with an underseat sub is far better than the old setup.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Unless you're planning on drowning all else out with wikid bass, an underseat sub is perfectly ample at any reasonable volume.

My last car had some really decent door speakers, and this car has upgraded ones too, but the sound with an underseat sub is far better than the old setup.
An underseat sub sounds perfect for me. Im well past the stage of bleeding my own ears lol. I have decent door speakers anyway so I plan to run more treble through the speakers and let the sub do its job. Hopefully it will sound pretty decent

As above x2, plus I've got a KTP445. Underseat sub sounds ideal TBH.

Looking forward to letting a dedicated speaker do a sensible amount of a frequency that it's naturally designed for, thus freeing up the components to do their own thing with the assistance of the KTP.

Presumably you'd have to spend much more money for a 5.25" mid-bass in the rear door cars powered by a multi channel amp to be better at low frequencies than an 8" or so underseat sub.

Polo + Micra

the only thing thats going to get drowned out is the sub with all the road noise and the fact it's firing straight into a slab of sponge.

even household subs are 150w+ and they have much better conditions to operate in.

if it was me i'd look to build a sub enclosure with a slim 8" and connect it to an outboard amp so you can get a decent output from it

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
My mate has the pioneer underseat sub posted above in his transit connect.

The amount of road noise at any speed above 5mph in a connect, is ridiculous. However, the underseat sub has no problems whatsoever in providing adequate volume and punch to overcome it.

Would I be right in assuming Dink that you've never actually experienced one?

There are loads of standard car systems that come with underseat subwoofers, ie Bose in audi and Mazda etc, plus the BMW stereos have underseat subs. All of which sound great as a compromise to having the boot filled with speakers

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
the only thing thats going to get drowned out is the sub with all the road noise and the fact it's firing straight into a slab of sponge.

even household subs are 150w+ and they have much better conditions to operate in.

if it was me i'd look to build a sub enclosure with a slim 8" and connect it to an outboard amp so you can get a decent output from it

JL now do these micro subs that are mounted in very thin boxes, im yet to try on in my car but once i have time the the local audio shop will let my try one of there show subs.

They are not cheap, but im told they sounds amazing and if you didn't know you would think that you had a sub twice as big in the boot.

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/car-audio-subwoofer-systems-powerwedge-truck-powerwedge

jl_audio_e46_xd_500_3_audiofile.jpg

This is 800W

fb7b8d191a7871fe990d42db9c57f318.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
f**k me you were right, they ain't cheap! By the time you've added a decent amp to power it, your over 400 quid!

I think the underseat sub still wins against a compact boot sub for the sort of people reading this thread.

I don't really care about losing 150x250x250mm of my boot as I loose that anyway with the jack, tyre foam, jump leads, a coat etc... I just don't want the car to have a single ounce of boy racer about it & I don't give a s*** about creating a minor earth quake I'm just aware that components can't do absolutely everything at once.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
f**k me you were right, they ain't cheap! By the time you've added a decent amp to power it, your over 400 quid!

Flol, quality comes at a price mate.

I have the JL 5ch amp as my Becker HU doesn't have any filter's so I control it all via the amp.

I've also got MTX components up front and JL in the rear.
Once funds allow ill go and test the JL sub's. :cool:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Flol, quality comes at a price mate.

I have the JL 5ch amp as my Becker HU doesn't have any filter's so I control it all via the amp.

I've also got MTX components up front and JL in the rear.
Once funds allow ill go and test the JL sub's. :cool:

Yeah that's true mate.

Should sound well with that little lot :)

Polo + Micra
you right i've never heard one nor would i want to tbh

i imagine it would be a very muddy bass that is not nice at all imho

one question do the OEM underseat ones come with an onboard or outboard amp?

An underseat sub sounds perfect for me. Im well past the stage of bleeding my own ears lol. I have decent door speakers anyway so I plan to run more treble through the speakers and let the sub do its job. Hopefully it will sound pretty decent

never heard one in person but on videos i have and they sound good to me, i have to agree with you, my speakers are pretty decent too so i plan to do the exact same as you :)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yes but were they sub 100 quid, and in no way whatsoever compromise space elsewhere within the car.

No one is denying that a decent 12" speaker, in an appropriate design of box, running nine million watts, will sound better, but this thread is about underseat subwoofers. You have no experience of them, you cannot comment on their performance.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I managed to fit the Kenwood last night. I decided to put in under the passenger seat and there is definitely an improvement in sound but I really need to adjust the settings to optimise my set up, I have a feeling it could sound a lot better.

Fitting it was a doddle once I had got the power cable through the bulk head - I used the grommet that the bonnet release cable goes through, and I found that the easiest way for me to do it was to undo the coolant bottle and the one next to it so that I could get my hand down the back of the heat shield carpet and push the wire through. The sub fits perfectly under the passenger seat once you remove the plastic tray thing, and you can use the fixing that the tray was held in by as a good earth for the sub. I managed to hide the wires behind the plastics and I decided to have the remote for the sub coming out from under the gear gater so I could put it in the cup holder.

The wiring was fiddly because at first the headunit would not remember my settings every time I turned it off (which never used to be an issue), but after some trial and error I found a wiring combination that worked.

Listerine & Poledo
I just don't want the car to have a single ounce of boy racer about it .

So this isn't for your 182 then?

In serious though. Yeah, an underseat is fine for people who like to listen to a track, as opposed to let everyone with a mile know that there's a badmanz bassline.

I managed to fit the Kenwood last night. I decided to put in under the passenger seat and there is definitely an improvement in sound but I really need to adjust the settings to optimise my set up, I have a feeling it could sound a lot better.

Fitting it was a doddle once I had got the power cable through the bulk head - I used the grommet that the bonnet release cable goes through, and I found that the easiest way for me to do it was to undo the coolant bottle and the one next to it so that I could get my hand down the back of the heat shield carpet and push the wire through. The sub fits perfectly under the passenger seat once you remove the plastic tray thing, and you can use the fixing that the tray was held in by as a good earth for the sub. I managed to hide the wires behind the plastics and I decided to have the remote for the sub coming out from under the gear gater so I could put it in the cup holder.

The wiring was fiddly because at first the headunit would not remember my settings every time I turned it off (which never used to be an issue), but after some trial and error I found a wiring combination that worked.

glad it works well :) got the settings sorted yet though? good description on how you fit it :) still braver than me haha i dont think i could do that myself but there isnt really anyone near me thats able to fit it for me :(