ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Understanding my boiler?

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys, just after a bit of advice about my boiler before so get a plumber I. To try and explain things.
I just want to know how it all works, I can use the control panel to set the time and date etc for heating but how is the boiler heating the water? Or isn’t it.
Here are a few pics of my set up.
Downstairs in the utility room I have my boiler.
E013E4FA-DFCF-45E6-8CAC-46858FA1D7E6.jpeg

it has the control under it for times, I’ve never ever used this, the heating we normally set at 16-18 depending how cold it is, the thermostat is at the bottom of the stairs in the hallway/entry hall.
Control panel (found instructions online for this).
D6BE8A06-6538-4A84-9788-DB6C483F4E24.jpeg

the boiler has 3 pipes coming out that I can see, I assume these are water to the rads, then a return from the rads. The other I’m assuming either a water feed or water out to go to the storage tank? That’s the bit I’m unsure of really. It also has a gas pipe going in.

upstairs in the airing cupboard we have this tank
314EB52D-F42F-4D8E-8322-4A883E927029.jpeg

CC74A99A-E52D-4595-AAE0-BE163011E2A2.jpeg

8A2D377E-868E-42B0-98DC-349451F8508B.jpeg

ignore the shitty towels.

Is the boiler heating this up? It must be as the electric to this tank is turned off. I’m assuming it can be used as an immersion heater if we have no gas?

also unsure if it’s cheaper to run it one way or the other. It’s full and hot 24/7 at the min. Going to work the best time to have it hot though and set the times to save money 👍

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Does that last cylinder just have one pipe going in? Would it be a pressure vessel?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
They'll be 4 pipes to your boiler
One must be hidden

You'll have a flow and return for the central heating (the 2 thicker 22mm pipes you can see)

You'll also have a cold water pipe which goes into the boiler which is used to fill the central heating pipework up and pressurise the system.

Then you'll have a gas pipe going to it as well, to fire the boiler up.

The cylinder has a coil inside it which is fed from the central heating pipework, this warms up the water in the cylinder.

You'll have a motorised valve in the airing cupboard that switches across and sends the central heating water around the radiators instead of the cylinder (when you have the heating on)

The little tank you posted above the cylinder is an expansion vessel.

Any more info then let me know and I'll help

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Roll that’s exactly as I thought it would work. If I set timers will it just warm the water at the time I put in. I guess I need to turn it off and then do a test of how long it takes to warm it up so I know when to program it.
I did say 3 plus gas but should have said 4 really 😂👍

I assume it’s cheaper to heat the water with the gas than using the thermostat built into the tank?

thank you 👍👍

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
As said, get it timed up properly.
Cylinders can store warm water for ages to be fair.
No need for it to be chugging away for hours all day

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I really need to do some reading or get someone in to explain my setup fully.

Air Source Heat Pump
Underfloor heating downstairs
Normal control panel for radiators upstairs
Modern and confusing boiler in the utility 🤷‍♂️

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I really need to do some reading or get someone in to explain my setup fully.

Air Source Heat Pump
Underfloor heating downstairs
Normal control panel for radiators upstairs
Modern and confusing boiler in the utility 🤷‍♂️

This guy explains heat pumps well:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don't heat pumps turn 1kW of electricity into 3 or 4 kW of heat? It's very impressive, but don't you need about 30kW output for an average home?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
It's more the programming via the boiler etc.

I have individual dials downstairs for each room/zone but presume the principal is it keeps at a constant but not sure whether I can still set timers via the boiler?
Don't think I can but ive never read the thick instruction manual as its a lot, same for setting timings for hot water etc.

Suzuki Jimny
I’ve recently moved to a house with a similar set up.

Through trial and error have set up the hot water to be warmed for 20 mins each morning which is enough for two showers and a dish wash per day. Previous owners had it set up to be on 6 hours a day 😂

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Through trial and error have set up the hot water to be warmed for 20 mins each morning which is enough for two showers and a dish wash per day. Previous owners had it set up to be on 6 hours a day 😂
Same here, when I moved in it was on 24/7 for hot water, dropped it to an hour and now to 20 mins a day, the tank is so good it stays very hot all day.

I'm now wondering if it's cheaper to let the immersion heater do the 20 mins rather than use the boiler, in summer the only reason it's kicking in is for the 20 mins a day which seems like potentially a lot of energy spent warming up the system compared to the electric element where the energy would be going straight to the tank.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

If you have a set routine it makes timing stuff like water much better, boiler on 20-30 mins before you need to shower or whatever no problem.

Pain in the bum for shift workers and the like, having their routine mixed up every week or two.

Suzuki Jimny
If you have a set routine it makes timing stuff like water much better, boiler on 20-30 mins before you need to shower or whatever no problem.

Pain in the bum for shift workers and the like, having their routine mixed up every week or two.
I’m a shift worker 😂

Setting up the heating so the mrs is happy is going to be a great laugh

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Same here, when I moved in it was on 24/7 for hot water, dropped it to an hour and now to 20 mins a day, the tank is so good it stays very hot all day.

I'm now wondering if it's cheaper to let the immersion heater do the 20 mins rather than use the boiler, in summer the only reason it's kicking in is for the 20 mins a day which seems like potentially a lot of energy spent warming up the system compared to the electric element where the energy would be going straight to the tank.

I wouldn't recommend this personally. You'll run the risk of the motorised valve sticking and what not if you aren't running the system.

That's just my opinion though.
I mean using it once a week or so instead may be a good idea and immersion for the rest.

I think immersion will cost £££ though

172 Cup
I wouldn't recommend this personally. You'll run the risk of the motorised valve sticking and what not if you aren't running the system.

That's just my opinion though.
I mean using it once a week or so instead may be a good idea and immersion for the rest.

I think immersion will cost £££ though

Also the immersion will be a fair bit less powerful than the coil I would think. So 20 mins would not be long enough!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve been thinking about this, this morning. With me leaving mine on 24/7 could that be more economical than having it set to kick in twice a day?

mid i kicks in for 10 mins a few times a day to maintain the Temperature vs letting the temp drop for 20 hours then taking an hour to heat it up etc?

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
In the summer months I’m using 400-500kw of gas, that’s keeping the water warm and all the cooking on the gas cooker, no heating has been on etc.

I guess all I can do is set the timer and compare but it’s a bigger as heating will be going on in October.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
They'll be 4 pipes to your boiler
One must be hidden

You'll have a flow and return for the central heating (the 2 thicker 22mm pipes you can see)

You'll also have a cold water pipe which goes into the boiler which is used to fill the central heating pipework up and pressurise the system.

Then you'll have a gas pipe going to it as well, to fire the boiler up.

The cylinder has a coil inside it which is fed from the central heating pipework, this warms up the water in the cylinder.

You'll have a motorised valve in the airing cupboard that switches across and sends the central heating water around the radiators instead of the cylinder (when you have the heating on)

The little tank you posted above the cylinder is an expansion vessel.

Any more info then let me know and I'll help

Best way to free a seized stop tap mate?

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Best way to free a seized stop tap mate?

Hit it with a hammer 🤣

Erm in all honesty
If its the main incoming stop tap for the property then would ideally need to replace it by isolating mains coming into house etc.

Can often loosen them up by slowly winding in and out but if it's proper seized you've got no chance.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Hit it with a hammer 🤣

Erm in all honesty
If its the main incoming stop tap for the property then would ideally need to replace it by isolating mains coming into house etc.

Can often loosen them up by slowly winding in and out but if it's proper seized you've got no chance.

🤣 no just a separate one upstairs

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Yes I know was gonna do that not urgent just thought there may be easy trick to free it first

A good practice would be to open and close the valves in a property on a routine every 12 months or so just to keep them freed up.
But nobody does that 🤣