ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unhappy clio newb

clio 172
Hi,
Just swapped my stripped out, race built Mi16 Pug 205 for an X reg 172 sunday night, had a test drive and everything felt great, did the swap and was happy, drove it around that night (approx 30 miles), everything was cool until it cut out at a roundabout, i got it started with the key and pulled it into a car park, where it died as soon as i stopped. Turned the key and all i got was a click, tried to bump it with no joy (the wheels just locked up) so up came the bonnet and the starter motor was red hot, so we undid the starter motor and wedged it back out of the way, bumped it again, it started but was making a godawful knocking sound so shut it off straightaway, got a new starter motor today and fitted it so we could find out the problem, and it sounds like the pistons are fubar'd :(
Has this ever happened to anybody else, i.e a starter motor seizing and killing an engine, and am i incredibly unlucky or is the bloke who sold me the car a complete **** and knew what was going to happen? :mad:

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Imo these things happen. I dont really think the guy who sold it to you could predicted the starter motor frying itself. But i hope you get it sorted and have some happy 172 ownership, i love mine :D

clio 172
did you buy it from a cliosport member?

It was a deal done through Pistonheads, i put the 205 up for sale and he offered me the Clio as a swap, his name is Craig and he drove it all the way from Reading to Loughborough and it was fine on the test drive.
The only thing that i can think of that may have triggered it is i hit a huge pot hole about 10 minutes before it cut out, but tbh i can't see why that would of killed the starter motor or the engine!

clio 172
The oil is fine, it's just making a massive knocking noise, my brother-in-law is a mechanic and he's looked all round it and he says it's a piston, but if anyone is close to Loughborough it would be great if they could nip round and have a listen.

Mainly a tow truck
The oil is fine, it's just making a massive knocking noise, my brother-in-law is a mechanic and he's looked all round it and he says it's a piston, but if anyone is close to Loughborough it would be great if they could nip round and have a listen.

I am in Leicester city centre (www.cgcarsleicester.co.uk) if you need a second opinion, me personally i think it sounds like a coincidence, if he has drove that many miles and it was fine.

Sorry to hear this though fella, are you sure a piece of the starter motor hasnt fell in the bell housing?

Carl

clio 172
Thanks for the offer mate, i may take you up on it if i can't get it sorted, it's just getting it there!

It's A Reno
Is it possible to get a clip up of it running?
Being able to listen to it would be handy, and we have lots of tecs on here who could help.
Have you checked the sump plug for metal debris? If it's a piston/ring problem you are likely to get a positive reading.

clio 172
I'll try and find my phone lead for the computer and get a vid up.
I've just spoke to Clio Spares and they'll sell me a complete bottom end for £275 delivered which i think is going to be the way forward. Just got to talk nicely to my brother-in-law now and see how cheaply he can fit it.

clio 172
That's good, when i've got enough cash (probably after crimbo) i'll become a paid up member and put a wanted ad up.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Unlucky, replacement engine can be picked up circa £400-500 on here may be worth weight up the costs of the labour of installing a new bottom end or a complete engine swap....

330i. E30 Touring.
Unlucky.

If he's driven from Reading, it's unlikely to be a stitch up.

Definitely would go for a whole new engine for simplicity. PM steve79 on here. He's always got a couple.

clio 172
Yea i've thought about putting a new engine in and i've spoke to my mechanic and i think that's the way to go, Clio Spares say they can supply at engine for £500, and it'll probably be a few quid delivery, got to check whether it will come with a warranty, if it does it will be worth the extra few £'s