ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unhappy with 182... but what to do!!!

Well ive had the 182 for a few weeks now and given it some good attention on many a B-Road but i can't say im very happy with it, but i just dont know what to do now... :S

Financially i should be buying a house and although i "can" afford upto £15k on a new toy if i get rid of the clio the only car i really want is a Mk4 R32, insurance is almost double over the clio though! :(

Now the 182 looks fine and dandy, if it didnt rattle like a "complete" b**ch i couldn't complain with the interior and the recaro's look a full slut even if they dont hold you very well IMO... To drive it i find the lack of low down torque appauling compared to my old williams, there's just absolutly no grunt untill your reving the b****cks off it almost leaving you only a good thousand revs of "usable power".

And what on earth is going on with the steering... "light" i thought at first was something i just needed to get use to... but its not even that, i find that you have to turn the wheel more than you really should to get it to turn like you would expect it too, also at high speed the car feels quite unstable with the nose dipping about all over... combined with the light steering it just feels scary rather than the sure footed feel i use to get from the williams.

I know im probably over comparing this to the williams but i dont even remember my old MK1 172 to feel like this, maybe i expected more but i dont know whether to just get rid and find something else or hope a new set of tyres magically transforms the car into what i expected. Its currently on parada's... defo needs GSD3's IMO.

BUT... if i do sell and i dont want to push to a R32 what does that leave me with??

Ideas people... lol

Boz

Arctic 182
Fit some eibach sportline spring mate, will make the car far more sure footed.

Somehting RWD maybe for a charge.

The Williams is the more fun car IMO going to a 182 whilst maybe quicker ins't as fune the Mk1 172 is the cloest to the Williams for fun and enjoyment.

Trophy
Thats the trouble Bri, no matter which 1*2 i drive none of them give me the driving pleasure of a good williams.

Mat.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
did u buy it second hand ? how many miles has it done ?

182 Cup in Racing Blue with 14000 miles, 18months warranty, and optional recaro front seats... id class it as almost showroom condition.

Mat.

hmm the unsure feeling could stem from the rear shocks being fucked. i know how badly mine felt and it was as described.

Mechanically i cant say ive seen anything wrong with it so far... i had my local renault garage give it once over already when i got all the warranty details swapped over and he never mentioned anything par the rattling! lol

I think edde put it spot on... :)

I know what your saying about fitting springs etc but do i really want to go messing about with a car just over a year old "just" to make it feel better.

RWD... if only S2000 GT's weren't so damn expensive! :(

Mechanically i cant say ive seen anything wrong with it so far... i had my local renault garage give it once over already when i got all the warranty details swapped over and he never mentioned anything par the rattling! lol

I think edde put it spot on... :)

I know what your saying about fitting springs etc but do i really want to go messing about with a car just over a year old "just" to make it feel better to drive...

RWD... if only S2000 GT's weren't so damn expensive! :(

MX5? MR2? MGF? (Ok maybe not the last one but to be fair its a good car)

Forget fitting bits its not worth it. Stock or chnage IMO you've taken a big change a good WIlliams to a 182 and most drivers would be disappointed.

Turbos.
Buy a diesel....

I find it quite funny that you mention the S2000 when you moan about the Clio's lack of torque. For a car of it's size it has more than enough torque. Besides, part of the enoyment of a B road thrash is working the engine, surely?

M2 Competition
Mgf, good car? lol!

If you want something better screwed together, how about an early 350z? e46 m3's are starting to come down to that price too, should be able to find a bargain.

I think realistically only an S2000 would be my hairdresser's car of choice, lol

Also the S2000 has a good few thousand revs of power to play with and the gearing is much more suited to the car, but yes its not quite the "torque daddy" i would rather it was if i was brutaly honest... ;)

P.S there's "working" and engine and then "WORKING" an engine! ;)

And no tyres are good just not my personal choice...

Still the williams is at a good home (2 miles away, lol). Just really didn't want to be the one having to sort the rust out etc... mechanically she was as fit as a daisy but hey age was showing through for me! :(

Last edited:
Had a friend who use to have a VX220... after seeing what he had to put up with everyday i swear i would never ever buy one to drive everyday! lol

If you think a 182 feels slow then you need something proper quick. If you think the 182 has no torque but you want an S2000 then I reckon you want your head testing.

Its not about "no torque" its about its torque curve... and again its not "slow" its just the way you have to drive it to extract its power is not what i would expect compared to my old williams which would happily pull like a tractor from 2500rpm all the way to its limit, the 182 does sack all unitll the VVT kicks in and personally i find it a bit dull.

Also should you have the pleasure of driving a S2000 you would realise that its gearing is well designed to make up for its lack of grunt under the hood.

Its not about "no torque" its about its torque curve... and again its not "slow" its just the way you have to drive it to extract its power is not what i would expect compared to my old williams which would happily pull like a tractor from 2500rpm all the way to its limit, the 182 does sack all unitll the VVT kicks in and personally i find it a bit dull.

Also should you have the pleasure of driving a S2000 you would realise that its gearing is well designed to make up for its lack of grunt under the hood.

I have driven an S2000 extensively, and it has to be worked a site harder than a 182 to extract it's maximum. Have you driven any other 182s? Perhaps yours isn't 100% tip-top.

Isnt the VVT doing its thing around 1500rpm just for emissions.]

Surely you mean when it comes on cam and the volumetric effiency is at its best circa 5.5k

I have driven an S2000 extensively, and it has to be worked a site harder than a 182 to extract it's maximum. Have you driven any other 182s? Perhaps yours isn't 100% tip-top.

Well we all have our oppinions... life would be boring if we didnt. lol

Yes had a good play in a few 172/182s etc etc, never found a vast difference between any off them in all honesty...

Yes had a good play in a few 172/182s etc etc, never found a vast difference between any off them in all honesty...

Fair enough, I just think that if torque is your bag, then an S2000 is just about the worst possible car you could consider buying. It sounds to me like you need a turbo, or even a turbo diesel.

Elise 111R

Fair enough, I just think that if torque is your bag, then an S2000 is just about the worst possible car you could consider buying. It sounds to me like you need a turbo, or even a turbo diesel.

Agreed the S2000 feels strange when i test drove one... the 182 feels very different to my old S which obviously had a supercharger that pulled from the off, problem with that was at std it didnt have anything topend...

The 182 eninge is on and off but not as bad as the CRT or s2000

get an R32 :) or maybe get something like focus st if you want fwd turbo action with a newer number plate?

VaVa
Doesn't the 182 still have like 80% of it's torque available from 2500rpm?

It also has quite a bit more torque than the Williams....... strange.

I find the Clio 1*2 engine to be actually quite grunty for a 2.0 NA