ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 or Yokohama S.Drive?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Can't decide between these two. Very similar price too. Heard nothing but good about Rainsports, have heard they're quite soft for the dry though. S Drive's are said to be very good in the wet too, but I don't need amazing wet performance because I don't push it in the wet anyway, and I'm thinking these may be the best for dry weather of the two.

Anybody got experience with the Yoko S Drive's? Or any thoughts on Rainsports too?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Rainsport 3's don't last very long, I had a new set less than 6 months ago and I just had to replace the fronts because they were below 1.6mm, I keep an eye on my tread depth but these wore away to near bald alarmingly quick, anything other than piss wet conditions and they fall apart, still better than Rainsport 2's thaough, they ended all up the side of my car on the first sunny day.

I just put 2 Hankook S1 Evo K107's on the front, they're around the same price and get good reviews on here, so far i'm happy with them but I only got them Saturday so i'm yet to see how long they last.

Last edited:
The RS3s are only good in the pissing down rain when new, wear ridiculously fast and have sidewalls of jelly. Go S-drives or something like the Kumho Ectsa KU39 which I found excellent on my old ep3.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've used s drives for the wet when I hillclimbed the clio. Was happy with them too

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah these are a temporary measure for my 16"s. I'll be getting some 15"s with AD08R's as soon as I can afford them at the same time. Leaning towards the Yoko's based off what you're all saying because I don't want to have to replace them before I get the AD08R's.

dan's cast offs.
if you just want something cheap then get a set of three a, £30 each fitted. i chucked a pair on the front of the wife's 172 before christmas and they're a decent tyre.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
if you just want something cheap then get a set of three a, £30 each fitted. i chucked a pair on the front of the wife's 172 before christmas and they're a decent tyre.
Where from mate? Yeah as I say just a temporary measure, current ones are bald so needs doing ASAP.

PH2 172
Dunlop SportMaxx RT & Avon ZV7 have both received good reviews on CS since Xmas, though not from the regular chorus.

RS3 grip is excellent wet or dry, but their escalating price is perhaps making the wear rate unacceptable.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Never had the S.Drives so can't comment on them . I'm on my 3rd set of RS3's moving on from RS2's . I think they're a brilliant tyre in the wet , and equally as good in the dry when pushing on . As stated , the wear rate isn't fantastic but that doesn't bother me .

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Avon zv7 you say? Only ask as I can get them for less than £40. Not that I have 15's I just priced a few 15's up at Ats next door lol

PH2 172
I only check by 205/45R16.
RS3 prices are up & down like a YoYo since Xmas, fluctuating between £53 & £61.
https://www.camskill.co.uk/

What is an acceptable mileage from a tyre that will prevent you from rear ending an idiot that stops in front of you on entry to a roundabout, to take a look, when you had already made a decision from 50 yards back to meld in.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I only check by 205/45R16.
RS3 prices are up & down like a YoYo since Xmas, fluctuating between £53 & £61.
https://www.camskill.co.uk/

What is an acceptable mileage from a tyre that will prevent you from rear ending an idiot that stops in front of you on entry to a roundabout, to take a look, when you had already made a decision from 50 yards back to meld in.
And then when you stop so quickly with your Rainsports, some pikey in a knackered 1.0 Ford Ka with plastic 165 sections locks up into the back of you 😂

PH2 172
And then when you stop so quickly with your Rainsports, some pikey in a knackered 1.0 Ford Ka with plastic 165 sections locks up into the back of you 😂
One of his calipers will be seized, inducing a half spin, so it will stop in time going sideways.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Had the S drives on my 172 cup and they were very good. Soft though. Good in all conditions, not brilliant but very good for the money - didn't have them long enough to comment on wear rate.
Got RS3 on the megane now - in the rain, as you'd expect, they're absolutely unreal, the amount of water thats been sprayed up onto my back window is crazy! Grip in the wet is almost as good as the dry grip - but the dry grip is let down by soft side walls, not bad by any stretch, but certainly no competition to the ps2 I had before (at double the price)
I'd buy RS3 for a road car again in a heartbeat, for track I don't think they'd last very well! Having said that, I know a lad with a Ph1 172 and his look fine after a track day

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Can recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport's to give you another option... Great on mine in the wet, the dry and when driving it hard. :smile:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys.

Going to be getting some AD08R's wrapped around some 15" TD Pro Race 1.2's at some point this year anyway. These are a good temporary measure to stop the coppers giving me 6 points basically!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Had the S drives on my 172 cup and they were very good. Soft though. Good in all conditions, not brilliant but very good for the money - didn't have them long enough to comment on wear rate.
Got RS3 on the megane now - in the rain, as you'd expect, they're absolutely unreal, the amount of water thats been sprayed up onto my back window is crazy! Grip in the wet is almost as good as the dry grip - but the dry grip is let down by soft side walls, not bad by any stretch, but certainly no competition to the ps2 I had before (at double the price)
I'd buy RS3 for a road car again in a heartbeat, for track I don't think they'd last very well! Having said that, I know a lad with a Ph1 172 and his look fine after a track day

Seeing @plees with Rainsports on at oulton was amazing. Never seen a Clio go round there so quick in the wet before.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Had the uniroyals in 15" fitment (50profile) and felt like the car was rolling all over the sidewalls are very soft.

I had S drives on my corsa C which were 16" 45 profile and they were a lot stiffer, grip levels are equally as good in my view but if I was picking between the pair I'd say the Yokos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk