ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unlocking - iPhone 3GS

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Hello,

I got an iPhone 3GS which is locked to the Orange network who im with just now. But I have a contract that im waiting to use which is on Tesco which I belive is O2.

Anyways what is the best way to get the iPhone unlocked/jailbroken?

All help appreciated, dont have a clue where to start!

Thanks,

Ben

Cupra
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Con all the way, they can't do it.

If you phone is running 3.1.2 you can unlock it with a jailbreak. If it is on 3.1.3, then you will (probably) have to wait until 4.0 in the summer before anybody releases a JB unlock.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Con all the way, they can't do it.

If you phone is running 3.1.2 you can unlock it with a jailbreak. If it is on 3.1.3, then you will (probably) have to wait until 4.0 in the summer before anybody releases a JB unlock.

Thanks Andy, how do you go about finding if its a 3.1.2 or 4.0 ? :eek:

Then how does the jailbreak work ?

Cupra
Settings/ General/ About/ Version will tell you what firmware you are using.

There is a JB out for 3.1.3, but that only allows you to load themes and apps (amongst other things). An unlock is something separate and the last supported firmware was 3.1.2.

4.0 is not rumoured to be released until just prior to the new model iPhone. The developers who have found the hacks for a new unlock are not releasing them until the new firmware is released, in the hope that the same loopholes stay open. AFAIK.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
What version on iTunes are you running? What OS? It's important.

If you're running 3.1.3, and the latest iTunes, it won't let you downgrade the firmware, even if you download a valid version from elsewhere. There's ways of getting around this, but it's awkward.

If you're on 3.1.2, don't update! Just run blackra1n and unlock it through the blackrai1n app.

Bumder With A Buffer
I think im on 3.1.1 but not sure.

I was gonna go to 3.1.2 but really couldn't be bothered to do the blackra1n thing. Plus most of my apps etc work so not really any need.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
3.1.1 to 3.1.2 is very minor. Bug fixes, mainly, you wouldn't notice a difference.

If it ain't broke...

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Settings/ General/ About/ Version will tell you what firmware you are using.

There is a JB out for 3.1.3, but that only allows you to load themes and apps (amongst other things). An unlock is something separate and the last supported firmware was 3.1.2.

4.0 is not rumoured to be released until just prior to the new model iPhone. The developers who have found the hacks for a new unlock are not releasing them until the new firmware is released, in the hope that the same loopholes stay open. AFAIK.

Ah good, its 3.1.3. Would Orange be able to unlock the phone for me if I went in store?

What version on iTunes are you running? What OS? It's important.

If you're running 3.1.3, and the latest iTunes, it won't let you downgrade the firmware, even if you download a valid version from elsewhere. There's ways of getting around this, but it's awkward.

If you're on 3.1.2, don't update! Just run blackra1n and unlock it through the blackrai1n app.

Thats another problem our main laptop is away for repairs because the fan is goosed and that has the iTunes on it so need to wait for that to return.

OS I think its the older home edition XP not vista anyways.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
When you get it back, check which version of iTunes you're running. If it asks you to update... don't.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Okay thanks mate.

Then is it a case of downloading the App you mentioned, loading that to the iPhone once syncd to iTunes then it should be unlocked?

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Let me know the above Christoph I know have the laptop back with iTunes :)

... or anybody else

I know this is an old thread, but O2 and Orange both unlock the iphone officially. Why bother trying to do it any other way?

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
If thats the case I will go to orange today. Once this has been done can the phone be JB? without any side affects

If thats the case I will go to orange today. Once this has been done can the phone be JB? without any side affects

There's no point "going" to Orange, as they won't be able to help. You've got to phone them on 150 (or 450 if payg) and request it. They'll also charge you £20.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
From google

If you are a Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go customer and your phone has been registered for more than 3 months, all you will need to pay to unlock your phone is the unlocking fee of £20.00 including VAT, payable prior to unlocking the phone.
To unlock your phone all you will need to do is call our Customer Service team on 150 from your Orange phone, or 07973 100150 from any other mobile or landline or 450 (07973 100450) if the phone has been used with a pay as you go SIM. Unlocking generally takes between 7 and 10 days.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things, and not connected.

Yeh I understand that im just worried that once unlocked and if I was to JB would it go back to being on Orange or stay unlocked?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It would stay unlocked, the unlock is applied by itunes when you sync