ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

unsecured wireless networks

i am currently working, playing with my laptop in the van waiting for jobs to come in, when my network connections box came up and said i had automatically connected to a belkin router!!

on investigation a did a search for available network connections, i found bloody loads, mainly bt homehub, netgear and belkin, all the netgear and belkin are not security enabled.

is this quite common?

i take it it could be illegal to sit within range of a router and connect to it??

free internet for me this afternoon yippeeee

Yeh loads of people have unsecure networks silly t***s people can download anything off it oh and yes it is illegal to use someone's network without permission

Tesla MP3 2021
and the bt homehub's password set by default is admin, well next doors is anyway! ;)

haha love it.

well if you are stupid enough not to know that your internet is wireless and other people can use it without it being secure then it is justice :)

The first thing i did when i got my wireless router was to completely disable the wireless feature as I dont need it.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
surely it isnt illegal though? as they are a public network.. therefore anyone can use them?

Not a Clio
surely it isnt illegal though? as they are a public network.. therefore anyone can use them?

That's like someone leaving their car running outside their house whilst they pop in to get something - you wouldn't jump in their car and take it for a spin would you?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

That's like someone leaving their car running outside their house whilst they pop in to get something - you wouldn't jump in their car and take it for a spin would you?

Pretty sure thats technically not ilegal if you bring it back

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
guy was in the news recently after he got sent to jail for stealing someones internet so yes it is illegal.
he was arrested in his car sitting outside someones house using his laptop. lol

Punto/Clio GTT
he was sent to jail for using someones internet?

sheesh, link me as i find that hard to believe unless it was an ongoing thing after hed been warned many many times?

Tesla MP3 2021
depending on router brand and if you know how to use it you can see what devices are connected to it, but to be honest if people know about things like that then they should know how to secure it ;)

guy was in the news recently after he got sent to jail for stealing someones internet so yes it is illegal.
he was arrested in his car sitting outside someones house using his laptop. lol

how can you tell someone is using your network

and the bt homehub's password set by default is admin, well next doors is anyway! ;)

lol, we have used the admin password trick. took the xbox 360 to my mates house, and using the wireless network adapter, played on xbox live for the evening.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I once had the sat nav running on my laptop in the car. i was running a WiFi scanner utility in teh background the whole journey. (Around 40 mile round trip)

Picked up over 200 WiFi connections and 95 of them were completely unsecure!

Punto/Clio GTT
my moms wireless network is unsecure, but i have no idea whatsoever how to secure it.

i mean i know how to secure wireless networks, ive done quite a few now, but this one, it has no ssid, it has no wpa key, nothing on the bottom of the router.

dont spose anyonw knows how to secure it or set up a ssid and network key?

shes got belkin wireless and on blueyonder

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
SSID can be set by yourself so its in the software side of it somewhere!

if its a router try entering 192.168.0.1 into a web browser. usually you can get into the software settings this way. ive not had a belkin before so not sure if its same on those!

Either that or how was the router configured in the first place?

Punto/Clio GTT

if its a router try entering 192.168.0.1 into a web browser. usually you can get into the software settings this way. ive not had a belkin before so not sure if its same on those!

i think blueyonder came out and configered it as the router is coming through the wall and upstairs, but the pc is downstairs now and were stuck with a router upstairs and having to have wireless for it downstairs.

im tryin to get her to let me rip it all out or just extend it with a cat5 (?) ethernet cable.

i'll try enter ip in address bar and see what it says.

but do i just enter my own wpa key for it? or will it be a master key that they all use?

On secured wans do I need the WEP key to get to the router login screen?

i.e. 192.168.0.1

I have about 5 wireless networks in my apartment block. Ours is locked down tighter than a nun, but I was trying to connect to some others but it never gains a IP addy without the WEP key.

2004 1.2 Dynamique

i think blueyonder came out and configered it as the router is coming through the wall and upstairs, but the pc is downstairs now and were stuck with a router upstairs and having to have wireless for it downstairs.

im tryin to get her to let me rip it all out or just extend it with a cat5 (?) ethernet cable.

but do i just enter my own wpa key for it? or will it be a master key that they all use?

You can set it to whatever you want?

Whats the model of the belkin router? If you go on the belkin website you should be able to download the user guide for the specific router your mum has, then it will tell you the IP address of it and how to set it up

RB 182

I had this type of problem with a Sky router which is configured at the factory, got into the router by guessing the password but they'd changed the firmwire so I couldn't change the settings anyway.

The router won't have WPA set at the moment as you say it's unsecured, you'll have to set the WPA yourself.

RB 182
On secured wans do I need the WEP key to get to the router login screen?

i.e. 192.168.0.1

I have about 5 wireless networks in my apartment block. Ours is locked down tighter than a nun, but I was trying to connect to some others but it never gains a IP addy without the WEP key.
WEP isn't worth having on as you can crack it easy, have at least WPA on.