ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advance CCTV setup Discussion

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I know there are many many threads about CCTV, so sorry to create another.

but I want to discuss setup rather than which camera to buy.

my current setup and camera is completely stand alone, so I have a dedicated desktop which I record onto which isn't connected to the web. my IP camera is a number of years old now and doesn't have all the features newer ones have - alarms and sending images in email/text etc...

i note brand new cameras like to be plugged into a router rather than directly into a computer. I have a BT HH5, how much band width would plugging a camera if not 2 into the HH5 use? would this slow down my internet? by slow down I mean would internet run slow on laptops/phones using wireless?

in order to get email/sms alerts do you need special mail server setups etc??

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Does it need to be a system that plugs into your computer ?

I have a Swann standalone system with built in DVR that you can connect to the internet and it has hundreds of settings including emailing screenshots etc.

Can support numerous cameras as well.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Does it need to be a system that plugs into your computer ?

I have a Swann standalone system with built in DVR that you can connect to the internet and it has hundreds of settings including emailing screenshots etc.

Can support numerous cameras as well.

No, it's just how I've always done it.
What worries me is anything like this which is dependant on the Internet will slow things down.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
My system isnt dependent on the internet, but obviously for emails and viewing when not on the same network you need the internet.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
My system isnt dependent on the internet, but obviously for emails and viewing when not on the same network you need the internet.
So how is it connected, via WiFi or ethernet?

I'm assuming the stand alone DVR units only need Internet when sending alarms as you say.

I've not looked into the stand alone DVR units, but I'm assuming you just plug a monitor in and you need to get one with a decent output. Hdmi or something

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
What problem are you trying to solve?
None, other than generally keeping an eye on my house. My current setup is old and I would like to update it

So before making any form of purchase I just want to dot all the I's cross all the t's

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
So how is it connected, via WiFi or ethernet?

I'm assuming the stand alone DVR units only need Internet when sending alarms as you say.

I've not looked into the stand alone DVR units, but I'm assuming you just plug a monitor in and you need to get one with a decent output. Hdmi or something
I dont have a monitor in mine as i can view and playback footage straight from DVR on my phone or ipad. I only used a monitor when setting it up but you could set it up through the app too. Mine came with a mouse and hdmi output and cables etc.

I dont know if it connects over WIFI. I had pulled an ethernet cable in for it before hand so have never looked. Im guessing some kits will.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I dont have a monitor in mine as i can view and playback footage straight from DVR on my phone or ipad. I only used a monitor when setting it up but you could set it up through the app too. Mine came with a mouse and hdmi output and cables etc. Really good piece of kit in fairness.

It's a crappy old monitor but I have the one from the current setup so can just use that.

OK thanks, I will look into stand alone DVR units as that didn't enter my mind

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont have a monitor in mine as i can view and playback footage straight from DVR on my phone or ipad. I only used a monitor when setting it up but you could set it up through the app too. Mine came with a mouse and hdmi output and cables etc. Really good piece of kit in fairness.
It's a crappy old monitor but I have the one from the current setup so can just use that.

OK thanks, I will look into stand alone DVR units as that didn't enter my mind
I went with Swann as most reviews said they where the best.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Another thought, you said you review etc on mobile devices. What sort of quality output do you get on mobile devices? 1080p for HD viewing? Should you ever need to do something with the footage like give it to the police you want the best quality going.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Another thought, you said you review etc on mobile devices. What sort of quality output do you get on mobile devices? 1080p for HD viewing? Should you ever need to do something with the footage like give it to the police you want the best quality going.
No it's not 1080p on mobile devices unfortunately. Don't think it's even 720.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
image.jpg

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
It's a NVR you want (network video recorder) and one with Poe.
Plug cameras with Poe into the dedicated ports, this will send power and data down one cat5/6 to the camera. Stick a 2+tb drive in and your away. You connect the nvr to your router but the bandwidth will be on separate networks so won't slow anything. Also they have hdmi and vga out to connect a monitor or to your tv. Recommend something like this hikvision.

https://www.selecsecurityproducts.co.uk/DS-7604NI-E1-4P-A

To ask the question, how secure are such things when connected to the internet?

What with hearing about sites that trawl the interweb for access to unlocked cameras and then post them up, I'd be a bit more paranoid than I normally am lol

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
To ask the question, how secure are such things when connected to the internet?

What with hearing about sites that trawl the interweb for access to unlocked cameras and then post them up, I'd be a bit more paranoid than I normally am lol

This is true, but you don't have to connect them to your network if you don't want too. What you find is that's it's the factory default login that people are not changing that's the problem

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
It's a NVR you want (network video recorder) and one with Poe.
Plug cameras with Poe into the dedicated ports, this will send power and data down one cat5/6 to the camera. Stick a 2+tb drive in and your away. You connect the nvr to your router but the bandwidth will be on separate networks so won't slow anything. Also they have hdmi and vga out to connect a monitor or to your tv. Recommend something like this hikvision.

https://www.selecsecurityproducts.co.uk/DS-7604NI-E1-4P-A
Looks good and cheaper than a laptop.

What do you need to setup alerts? Anything special?

My current wiring is two ip cameras plugged into a router, which then plugs into a computer. I'm guessing that won't work with nvr ? It will want each camera plugged in separately?

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Looks good and cheaper than a laptop.

What do you need to setup alerts? Anything special?

My current wiring is two ip cameras plugged into a router, which then plugs into a computer. I'm guessing that won't work with nvr ? It will want each camera plugged in separately?

With that one I don't no but I will be getting one very shortly. Would you want a notification every time something triggers a camera? That would do my nut in!

You won't need the pc, camera to nvr and then nvr to router only for accessing the system. The camera feed stays within its own network

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
With that one I don't no but I will be getting one very shortly. Would you want a notification every time something triggers a camera? That would do my nut in!

You won't need the pc, camera to nvr and then nvr to router only for accessing the system. The camera feed stays within its own network

I note there are many on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision...318386?hash=item3f6e690e72:g:eY8AAOSwImpXpZQz

I was hoping to set up motion detect for a set area and just get notifications for that set area . Via email

I know I won't need a pic just saying that's my current setup.

The router the two cameras are currently plugged into is a stand alone router not connected to the Internet. It was just easier to do that in the loft and have one ethernet cable come down into the bedroom to connect to pc.

Maybe I could put nvr in the loft and then plug both cameras directly into it. If I can gain access to videos via mobile phone then I won't really need to access nvr

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Motion detection will end doing your head in if you set up alerts on it, it trips to easy, check if that NVR has alarm inputs on it and fit a decent external detector.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I note there are many on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision...318386?hash=item3f6e690e72:g:eY8AAOSwImpXpZQz

I was hoping to set up motion detect for a set area and just get notifications for that set area . Via email

I know I won't need a pic just saying that's my current setup.

The router the two cameras are currently plugged into is a stand alone router not connected to the Internet. It was just easier to do that in the loft and have one ethernet cable come down into the bedroom to connect to pc.

Maybe I could put nvr in the loft and then plug both cameras directly into it. If I can gain access to videos via mobile phone then I won't really need to access nvr

The hikvision app lets you gain access to all the cameras/nvr. It may have notifications like I said I won't no until I set my one up. I Wouldn't put it in the loft, to susceptible to climate changes. Can you not run new cables or extend what you've got?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The hikvision app lets you gain access to all the cameras/nvr. It may have notifications like I said I won't no until I set my one up. I Wouldn't put it in the loft, to susceptible to climate changes. Can you not run new cables or extend what you've got?
I'm not sure a 19" rack format would fit in my wardrobe which is where my current pc is. I don't think its wide enough, ill have to check. but I hear what your saying about temp change.

I'm assuming these nvr work with any ip cameras not just hikvision ones?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Motion detection will end doing your head in if you set up alerts on it, it trips to easy, check if that NVR has alarm inputs on it and fit a decent external detector.
most you can adjust the sensitivity though, so that may help. its one of those things ill have to have a play with and see what works and what doesn't.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I'm not sure a 19" rack format would fit in my wardrobe which is where my current pc is. I don't think its wide enough, ill have to check. but I hear what your saying about temp change.

I'm assuming these nvr work with any ip cameras not just hikvision ones?

You can get different sized ones! Yeah it should work with all modern cameras. Regarding alarm settings, you can program each camera to only Monitor certain areas.

6/468 17poo
Im trying to purchase and set up a similar system but there are so many makes good and bad ones available! think Ive settled on a Hikvision camera just need to find a reasonably cheap DVR. I looked at the Canary / Motorola one but they don't seem to record much only when things are triggered!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

did you ever get one mate?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Im trying to purchase and set up a similar system but there are so many makes good and bad ones available! think Ive settled on a Hikvision camera just need to find a reasonably cheap DVR. I looked at the Canary / Motorola one but they don't seem to record much only when things are triggered!
did you ever get one?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok just received a hikvision ds-7600 and its like rocket science trying to get a camera to work.

so the camera isn't a hikvision camera

the wizard doesn't pick the camera up when I do a search

and when I go here again cant get it to see the camera in port 1

manual is utter crap, what to do now?

DSC_6963_zpsyfjtmg0d.jpg

SQ5
ok just received a hikvision ds-7600 and its like rocket science trying to get a camera to work.

so the camera isn't a hikvision camera

the wizard doesn't pick the camera up when I do a search

and when I go here again cant get it to see the camera in port 1

manual is utter crap, what to do now?

DSC_6963_zpsyfjtmg0d.jpg

What camera have you got?

If it's on port 80 I'd be changing that to something like 8000 first.

Enter IP, user name and password

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
What camera have you got?

If it's on port 80 I'd be changing that to something like 8000 first.

Enter IP, user name and password
sadly it looks like my oldest ip camera wont allow me to change its IP address.

the hikvision is 192.168.254.1
my ip camera is 192.168.1.1 so the hikvision wont pick it up

time for a new purchase I think

SQ5
sadly it looks like my oldest ip camera wont allow me to change its IP address.

the hikvision is 192.168.254.1
my ip camera is 192.168.1.1 so the hikvision wont pick it up

time for a new purchase I think

Did you set that IP of the NVR.

That's usually the IP address of cameras that go directly into the NVR and not sit on the network.

Need to set your NVR IP to match your other IP address so I'm guessing 192.168.1.*** and set gateway and DNS to your router which I'm guessing is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

Is camera plugged into rear of NVR or a network switch elsewhere?

Let me know!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

That's usually the IP address of cameras that go directly into the NVR and not sit on the network.

Need to set your NVR IP to match your other IP address so I'm guessing 192.168.1.*** and set gateway and DNS to your router which I'm guessing is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

Let me know!

no
i did try to change ip on nvr but it wouldnt let me, it kept coming up with an error. ill post a screen shot when I get home.

all my cameras are on 192.168.1.***

cameras are plugged directly into the back of the nvr.

not connected nvr up to bt HH yet

DCi
254.1 wont talk to 1.1

you probably need to either
-set them to all 254.*
-or 1.*
-or set them to take addresses from your HH DHCP (and probably give them reservations so they always stay the same)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
254.1 wont talk to 1.1

you probably need to either
-set them to all 254.*
-or 1.*
-or set them to take addresses from your HH DHCP (and probably give them reservations so they always stay the same)
I've learnt they won't talk ;)

I've changed one camera to 192.169.254 so that's working, another I've not got round to doing. And my third I can't change the ip address on.

But if I could change nvr to match cameras then all three would work, I just couldn't work out how to do that on nvr.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

Let me know!
so when i try change internal nic ipv4 address I get this, no matter what address I use

DSC_6986_zps2rpfgkio.jpg

DSC_6987_zpslgwa19oh.jpg

If it's a home network can't you just change your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and then you should be able to share the .254 and .1 address space?