ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Update on my situation

Firstly thank you to all the people who replied to my original post with messages of support, I havent really had a lot of that other than from my dad.

I just wanted to let you know what happened today after last nights events.

I got a phone call this morning from my gfriends dad saying that he had been to the hospital and spoken to the bloke who did it. He said he didnt think the injuries were as bad as he first thought, which confused me as he was the one who told me what condition the guy was in.

He also suggested that I stopped by the hospital to appologise or at least check on him. So I went with my dad and what happened was very very strange.

I never actually met the guy but I did meet his parents and they were very nice people which made me feel terrible. We spoke to them for ages and they said they would prefer it if their son didnt see me as he was still very shaken up. They told me that they werent going to involve the police as as far as they were concerned their son (NICK - how appropriate if indeed this is his real name?) had been taught a lesson and there would be no long term damage. I got the feeling that they knew this might happen one day as the dad kept giving hints that this guy had been in trouble for this kind of thing before. He told me that he didnt blame me and that he would probably have done the same thing if it was him.

At the end they even asked if there had been any damage to my car and if anything had been taken? They also said they didnt know who the other guy was, where he might live etc.

Basically they were very polite and I knew I was lucky, but I got the feeling they were trying to keep something hidden. My dad said the same thing afterwards. I obviously dont know what it was but I would guess they do know they other guy (maybe even a brother etc) and dont want the police investigating. Although it would have been easy to say "well your sons a car thief and I should tell the police" I knew I had already taken the law into my own hands and I dont want the police on my back any more than he does.

So all said and done, it looks like I am in the clear. He was discharged this afternoon and I exchanged mobile numbers with his dad just incase.

Please to anybody who is reading this, I know I have been very lucky to get away with this. I really will think twice if this ever happens again because I have never sweated anything as much in my life. And whatever you do, dont make it easy for them, please keep your keys somewhere safe.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Ben

Pleased to hear that things have turned out better than you thought. It does sound as though the parents are keeping something back doesnt it? Perhaps he is already on probation from another crime! In which case he would be in serious trouble as he first of all broke into, or entered your girlfriends house uninvited, then committed a second crime by getting into your car.

As you say, we should all keep our keys out of sight of others.

I can understand that this whole thing looks a little unrealistic? I honestly cant believe the last 24 hours.

And I know I cant really prove it to you but then I dont really want to.

All I would say is that I have been a member of this club for a long time and I dont bullsh*t about stuff.

But like I said I cant really blame you for wondering

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

:eek:WOW. You should go on crimewatch, and give lessons in physical vigilanty. He he.

In all seriousness though, its some food for thought for all of us whove left our keys unattended at any time... ... ...

Is it Boll*cks, but it is an amusing story for the grand kids ehh Ben? :devilish:

7.6cc :D

Ben, i think you have been very mature about this situation, im proud :D

We all have things that we would have done differently if we could go back and change them.

Jill xxx

Quote: Originally posted by Ben P on 24 February 2003

I honestly cant believe the last 24 hours.
Right now I have just found out I am in not going to get into trouble with the police, my car had been targeted and the people on this forum have been very suportive. My name is Ben P, and this has just been the longest day of my life.

:cool:

Paul

Read all this with an open mouth Ben. Glad it has all panned out ok - and glad youve still got your motor. Ill buy you a pint any day mate.

And 172man? WTF... go to jail?! Whether or not anyone agrees with that, I doubt anyone would agree that a few hours after the event with Ben clearly wound up like a spring is the right time to say it. Muppet.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by teady172 on 24 February 2003

Yeah dont hit them in the face concentrate on outer limbs and the mid rift!
LOL.. class..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Glad to hear it all worked out Ben. I still say you done the right thing giving the guy a beating.

And even after what you said about not doing it next time, I still would.. I work so long and pour all my money into my car that I would do time for the satisfaction of permanently injuring them.

If you ask me they should have their hands cut off afghan style.. might be harsh but I garantee the wont be able to drive your car away again.

Ben P,

The chances are hes already a convicted car thief and on probation (or his last chance!). If he gets caught again he gets locked away.!? Hence the reason his parents dont want the pigs involved, they are hardly likely to want to see him locked up.

He could also face charges of breaking and entering your g/f parents property to get the keys in the first place, so hes got alot hanging over his head, and believe it or not, hes actually got off quite lightly.!

I dont blame you for what you done, I know I would do exactly the same thing.

My advice to you would be to go see a solicitor just in case the situation is not dropped - or he develops further injuries or someone persuades him to pursue things.

It will give you good advice and prepare you for any questions.

I dont want to worry you but I was in a very similar situation and a few days later the police arrested me - I did not have a good story and you will get found out.

The law in this country will look on 2 wrongs dont make a right. Anyway dont worry as it sounds you will be ok - you dont want to know my outcome.

All the Best anyway, hopefully you will be ok.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Personally I dont think Ben needs to waste time seeing a solicitor - cross that bridge when he comes to it. I dont think he will hear any more about it, unless the guy gets his mates to do something to the car in revenge. More likely his parents will sort him out, as Ben reckons they are decent people.

Ben

I agreed with what you did and i have done the same myself. I once hit a car theif with the security post that normally sits in my drive. I had no shoes on so when he ran i couldnt catch him. I would of given him a nasty bruise if not a broken arm. dented the post!!!

Lucky i like you never got in trouble. But I am glad it turned out O.K for you.

Keep your head up and i am sure your gf will come round. Just ask her how she would of reacted if it was her car. tell her that you dont know what came over you and you are sorry.

172man? if you dont have anything supportive to say, then be quiet. Ive read both these posts in full and you mate are out of order. Ben sees he may have slightly over reacted and hes sorry, theres no need for your comments.

Ben P,

Matey, dont be so hard on yourself, you reacted to a situation in the way I know I would. Usually mild mannered but this was just a reaction to an action.

In my opinion you did exactly the right thing bro. The British justice system lets us down far too much these days, he got what he deserved !!.

-quote-

And all her familys opinion of me has changed. They used to love me, now they think I am a prick.

-unquote-

Well, for what its worth, very few or none of us here think that and her family really ought to put themselves in your situation. Shame on them for not backing you, maybe this event was an omen....I know I wouldnt want to be involved in a relationship where my prospective future in laws didnt back me for doing the right thing.

All credit to you mate, I am sorry you feel so bad about this situation but really, you have to realise this was a one off and you simply did what was natural as a gutsy human being.

Good luck my friend,

Bill.

172man? if you dont have anything supportive to say, then be quiet - nope

I think if this is real which sounds a bit far fetched then the real perpetrator is the thug for beating the thief up he could of used far less force and is probably lucky he didnt get stabbed or something. I for one am not interested in vigilantes thats why we have laws. Its my opinion that both should be locked up.

350z & 16v Maxi

I agree with GRs first comment that the guy might be on probation from another crime. That was the first thing i thought about when you said the parents didnt want to envolve the police.

Also i hate all these thoughts that criminals have rights, i dont feel they should. They tried to steal Bens car or something in it and i feel they deserve all they got. Im not having a go at you and respect your opinon 172man just disagree with it.

i believe the laws should be tougher there to liberal i just dont agree with taking the law into your own hands, if everyone did it there would be anarchy.

FRS Mk3 Red edition

i had my car vandalised one night,and they really did a job on my car, and the way i felt in the morning seeing my car in that state,i would definetely have done the same as Ben, if i would have caught them.i am not condoning violence but in the heat of the moment IMHO we would all loose it.

172man fair point about being stabbed though.these little scrotes are normally tooled up, remember not long back the lad who was stabbed in the head with a screwdriver,and they were disturbed trying to nick his car.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by 172man on 24 February 2003

i believe the laws should be tougher there to liberal i just dont agree with taking the law into your own hands, if everyone did it there would be anarchy.
Are you a crime prevention officer by any chance??

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

I think the law is a little too relaxed in this country, and the guy deserved to be frightened, and also shown the error of his ways. However, I think Ben went a little too far and he even acknowledges this. He lost control and went berserk, something that should not be celebrated. It is this loss of control that upset his gf, look at it from her perspective, the man she has known and loved all her life just violently beat a man to a pulp. She must be scared that he is not who she thought he was and possibly a little scared of Ben as well. Ben - If your girlfriend really knows you then this should be forgiven quickly but probably not forgotten as quickly.

Good luck on getting away with it, and good luck with you gf. You sound like a nice guy, sorry this happened to you.

FRS Mk3 Red edition

pretty sure it was in Bradford. if memory serves me right it was his dads car they were trying to nick.

FRS Mk3 Red edition

if memory serves me correctly, it was his dads car he was trying to protect and he lost his life.

the police must push for greater powers and bigger punishments for these kind of people. i would happily pay the police more money through my council tax to help combat this problem and other anti-social behaviour.IMHO a few beat bobbies located in troubled areas would be a good step forward.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Exactly, good point ST HORNE, cameras only catch people after the offense they do not deter a criminal as they often dont see them. A bobby is a deterent to the crime ever taking place.

An area in Northampton is moving police into local houses to combat crime.

Yeah right....Like your opinions matter to our government. Just like it did in the petrol war, just like its going to with the iraq real war.

Sorry guys, we are all far too complacent. Ben acted out of sheer natural anger. What would the police had done, taken a couple of hours to get to the scene.... then taken a statement ?.

Quite frankly b****cks !!!. He did the right thing at the time, went with his instinct. Maybe the sad tw*t in hospital will think twice about doing it again. We have the right to protect whats ours !!!.

Ben P, as said before...all credit to you sir !.

Bill.

Quote "Its my opinion that both should be locked up." And the Board says ETTTTTTTTERRRRRRRR - People that pose a genuine danger to the public should be locked up - Not someone that defends his property against a thief. What he did was wrong but if you think he should be locked up then you either are or should be a Judge.

Locking up the Thief(s) would stop furthur thefts!

172Man - How would locking Ben P up serve the public community?