ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade on my 1.2

2.0 Auris
Dose this sound like a wise plan?Ive had my 1.2 clio for nearly a year now and passed my test in her aswell 1st time.I was thinking to keep it for another year get the no claims up abit and the driving experance up aswell (iam a good driver):) .Ive had no problems with the clio it couldnt have been a better 1st car 400 mpg but the only problem its its alittle breathless in 5th so i was thinking i want to get a 1.6 clio with a 110 bhp group 8 insurance because its not a massive jump up but its about double the power.I will be almost 19 when i want to change so and replys would be nice.

liquidized RacingBlue 182
i learnt to drive in ma 1.2 clio,,,, didnt pass my test....then i went out and bought me a clio 182, and past 7 days after i bought it..... went from group 2 or 3 to group 16 insurance!! worth every penny having the 182 tho!!!!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I think it sounds pretty sensible mate, although depends how much time you spend in 5th as to whether it's worth spending the extra.

The alternative is finding out much it would cost to buy and then insure the 1.6 for a year, keep the 1.2 and put the money saved into a '1*2' piggy bank!

i had my 1.2 clio for 3 years after passing my test then bought my 182 when i was 20 and loving it.

Golf R soon...
Passed my test in a 1.2 8v, kept that for a year then bought a 1.8 16v kept that for 6 months then went for the 2.0 ltr!

BMW M135i
I did pretty much the same thing, passed my test and had my old 1.2 16v for about ten months before chucking it in for the 1.6 wouldn't go back thats for sure. Insurance was about £300 more over the 1.2, its definetly worth £300 thats for sure.

BG182®
ROSS18 said:
Dose this sound like a wise plan?Ive had my 1.2 clio for nearly a year now and passed my test in her aswell 1st time.I was thinking to keep it for another year get the no claims up abit and the driving experance up aswell (iam a good driver):) .Ive had no problems with the clio it couldnt have been a better 1st car 400 mpg but the only problem its its alittle breathless in 5th so i was thinking i want to get a 1.6 clio with a 110 bhp group 8 insurance because its not a massive jump up but its about double the power.I will be almost 19 when i want to change so and replys would be nice.

im in the same postition as ya fella. im neally 19 too and lookin for somethink abit mre powerful. i did a quote on elephant.co.uk for a 172 and it would cost me £2100 to insure with ma old man on it and when i turn 19. considering me insurance is £1700 for my 1.2 its gonna b well worth the extra dosh for it.

2.0 Auris
Its for overtaking aswell my 1.2 can overtake but u need a bit of a run up so a 1.6 would be better i think but il miss the 400mph

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
been looking at getting a 1.6 16v as a 2nd car so i can start my 2.0 conversion on mine but not sure.

£5,000 or what ever its going to cost for a 1.6 is a lot of money for the 30bhp jump, and when you consider extra weight im not so sure its worth it, considering mine is a "special" one :)

clio 1.6 16v dymanique
i have a 1.6 16v is got good power and the insurance is £900 a year with the RAC im 19 with 1yrs no claims i love my 1.6 its the dogs!! just waitn a cou[le of years for cheaper insurance then going to get a monster engine!!

2.0 Auris
No the 1.6 16v aint that cheap but i wont be getting one for atleast another year so the price will hopefuly go down id have the same colour pearlecent silver beautiful colour

2.0 Auris
i was wanting a 04 plater at the moment there £6000ish if i do find 1 i want to lower it a full magnex system kandn air filter ect that should open it up abit.My 1.2 is standard up front but is really quick around town but no so good on the hills but its only like 60 mabey 70 bhp

2.0 Auris
god knows it must be a 8v i thought it was a 16v but hey i get from a to b lol another year and il upgrade

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
4th Feburary 1989 yep u are older.

it may well be a 16v, the badges on the side will have 16v if its a 1.2 16v or 1.2 if its a 1.2 8v. 16v has 75bhp and 8v has 60bhp.

Turbos.
I'd resist the urge to take little stepping stones and just keep the 1.2 for another a year or so, then get whatever hot hatch you like. The 1.6 isn't that much faster, and in every other respect it's exactly the same. I just don't see the point...at least try a different marque.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
will be much better car than his tho if its an 8v since he wont have a dynamique, so a 1.6 16v dynamique will have LOADS more toys, aircon if he gets one with it possibly even xenons, climate and electric sunroof etc

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
rory182 said:
2.0 conversion is a waste of time martin, buy a mk 1 172 for £4500

sell my mint high millage ph2 1.2 for £1700 and buy a car for £4500 or keep my car and buy a conversion kit for £1500 :p i like to be different, like a challenge not worth it if i had a low millage car i could get £4 or 5 grand for tho