ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrades for a 1.2 16v ?

Iv had my clio a while now and now im wanting it to have a bit more sound to it. was also wondering what type of mods would be good under the bonnet just to make the car run better and that. i know its pointless throwing loads of money into a 1.2. but a few low costs mods wont hurt. i was thinking a long the lines of , filters, spark plugs, better coil pack etc. In mind i do want an induction kit but not really got £100 to be spending on one and don't really want to have heat soak problems. also been looking at back boxes as well, Iv already had an exhaust system on the car but it attracted too much attention(police), pity cause i really like the sound of it (3" sniper performance race tube). Iv been looking at exhaust also but they all seem to be either stupidly big or race tubes but maybe im just looking in the wrong place.

But if anyone has any ideas or that, feel free :)

Cheers

Invest in savings to sell car plus cash for a 172.

Why do people always say this? It's really annoying when you're on the other end. All he wants is a few mods on his 1.2.

I agree with McGherkin, K&N 57i filter. I had one on my 1.6 and it sounded standard until you put your foot down a bit. You could always fit it behind the headlight or build a shield if you're worried about heat soak.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Why do people always say this? It's really annoying when you're on the other end. All he wants is a few mods on his 1.2.

I agree with McGherkin, K&N 57i filter. I had one on my 1.6 and it sounded standard until you put your foot down a bit. You could always fit it behind the headlight or build a shield if you're worried about heat soak.

Because we have all done it and I'm sure most will agree that after a few weeks the novelty wears off, you forget it's even there as it made no difference and you always want more, such as proper power and end up wanting the likes of the 172/182 and think that was a waste of money

Because we have all done it and I'm sure most will agree that after a few weeks the novelty wears off, you forget it's even there as it made no difference and you always want more, such as proper power and end up wanting the likes of the 172/182 and think that was a waste of money

Novelty didn't wear off when I had my induction kit. Did its job exactly as I wanted it for.

Obviously you're always going to want more power, but that isn't always an option for young drivers.

I know what you mean but it's not necessarily a waste of money if you enjoy it.

I kept all the standard parts from my non-sport whenever I changed something. That meant I could put it back to standard when I sold the car and be able to sell the mods/transfer them to the 182.

Most of the time a 172/182 isn't really feasible for young drivers, especially on the insurance side of things.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
This may sound ignorant but are 172's even expensive to insure for a younger driver with a clean license, my 182 costs the same as a 1.2 to insure these days? I found mine is the same price regardless of the car, before I got the Clio I looked at TT's and Z4's and S2000's and the insurance was no difference, checked a 1.2 Corsa and got the same price again on Gocompare.

I've just found a mod that makes any kind of difference in drivabillity on a small engine and produced a different sound, on a 182 even these kits and zorsts did nothing, only an RStuner and Decat did something that I noticed.

Listerine & Poledo

Because it's the sensible option.

Running around with an exhaust that sounds like someone farting into a dustbin might be epic sik for a fortnight, but given OP already wants to attract less police attention, it's not the best idea.

Shopping editions are to shuttle schoolkids to and from Sainsburys...until Mum upgrades to an X5.

And yes, 1X2s are expensive to insure, mostly because spotty youths keep barrel-rolling them through hedgerows, or McDriftTray their way through the front of DFS in an effort to impress their way into some land-whales' gusset.

But you get what you pay for

Last edited:
This may sound ignorant but are 172's even expensive to insure for a younger driver with a clean license, my 182 costs the same as a 1.2 to insure these days? I found mine is the same price regardless of the car, before I got the Clio I looked at TT's and Z4's and S2000's and the insurance was no difference, checked a 1.2 Corsa and got the same price again on Gocompare.

I've just found a mod that makes any kind of difference in drivabillity on a small engine and produced a different sound, on a 182 even these kits and zorsts did nothing, only an RStuner and Decat did something that I noticed.

I guess it depends how young they are and where they live etc. I think I was looking at about 3k or something silly when I was 18/19 for a 182. It dropped considerably once I turned 21 though.

I think my next mod will be an RStuner with the 98Ron map. I've only heard good things about it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you're looking to make a 1.2 faster, buy a 172.

If you have a 1.2 because it's a cheap car to keep and run and want to make it sound better. Buy a £50 induction kit and maybe a back box and lowering springs.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Definitely do the RStuner makes such a difference, it's worth it just for the Cold starts being so much better and pulls better earlier on.
Decatting is worth it too, if you can be arsed with the hassle of changing it back once a year.

Definitely do the RStuner makes such a difference, it's worth it just for the Cold starts being so much better and pulls better earlier on.
Decatting is worth it too, if you can be arsed with the hassle of changing it back once a year.

Already got the decat, unfortunately my MOT is due in January so it's going to be nice weather when I have to change it back lol.

I'll have to keep an eye out in the for sale section for a second hand RStuner.I'm not all that clued up on them but I know you have to buy a licence. Do you have to buy the maps as well or are they already on the RStuner?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
No the maps are sent individually, ignoring the cost of the box as you'll sell it for the same price, the map unlock is €49 and the maps €29, ignore the crap about £90 unlock codes everyone keeps reading the price on Fastchip for a V6 Clio, it discounts the price when you select Clio 2 Sport. takes about an Hour to do ONCE you get the codes and files from Henk, the download thing online was disabled, but should take a day or so to receive. completely worth it.

The Maps could be emailed from someone else, I have still have my files but entirely at own risk if anything happens, for the sake of £25 I wouldn't take it personally.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Because it's the sensible option.

Running around with an exhaust that sounds like someone farting into a dustbin might be epic sik for a fortnight, but given OP already wants to attract less police attention, it's not the best idea.

Shopping editions are to shuttle schoolkids to and from Sainsburys...until Mum upgrades to an X5.

And yes, 1X2s are expensive to insure, mostly because spotty youths keep barrel-rolling them through hedgerows, or McDriftTray their way through the front of DFS in an effort to impress their way into some land-whales' gusset.

But you get what you pay for

I know exactly what you mean by McDriftTray'ing!
I went from a 1.2 to a 1.2 turbo clio, made £50 quid extra on my insurance and was the best thing I ever bought. I love having a 1.2 because I do extreme urban driving (Stop start, stop start) all the time so having a 1.6+ makes no sense for me. But having a turbo which I can open the taps on when I get time is a good little experience, pulls AMAZINGLY well at low revs too which means no ragging on a poor small 1.2 engine.

BMW E36 328
I dont get why when someone posts up about their 1.2 all everyone says is buy a 178/182. Its exactly the same story with your 1*2's, buy an r26....

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
As above really. I had my 1.2 for 2 years, and there is no way I could of kept it standard.

I had a K&N 57i induction kit, and a ktec steal exhaust system on mine along with quite a few other bits. Sounded pretty nice, and wasn't chavtastic as all. Just don't expect it to be any faster lol.

As above really. I had my 1.2 for 2 years, and there is no way I could of kept it standard.

I had a K&N 57i induction kit, and a ktec steal exhaust system on mine along with quite a few other bits. Sounded pretty nice, and wasn't chavtastic as all. Just don't expect it to be any faster lol.

Agree completely !

I had a 1.3 tap and rattle fiesta endura when I passed , loved that car to bits , lowered it 40mm , exhaust and induction kit cost me about £200-£300 tops but I kept the car for 4 years and it was awesome, I could have saved it for a 182, but at 17 that wouldn't of happened I would have spent it in shite ! Lol

if your planning on keeping the car a few enhancements won't do any harm whatsoever ! But as said don't expect it to be any faster !

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

I was on the other end once... Didnt listen, Spent loads of money ruining my car, lost money etc etc.

i know it's exciting to want to change your first car, but it really, really is a waste. Put it in the bank. I sold my turinis for the same price I bought them for but lost £160 on brand new tyres. I sold my coilovers for what I bought them for, lost money on everything else and can't shift the stupid front bumper.

Well iv made a purchase. Iv ordered an induction kit and going to service the car. Wasn't really wanting the car to be faster or that just wanting to sound decent as well as look decent as i have spent a fair bit of time and effort making it look good. The cars basically a hobby.wanting to keep the car for aslong as i can anyway as imo i think its a great wee car, cheap to run and insure and handles brilliantly and turns heads when driving about :)

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
I'd say go for what others are posting, cat back system, induction kit and maybe some lowering springs and decent tyres. After that just keep it well maintained with regular services, I've had my clio 1.2 16v for about 7 years now and i still love it :D

I've poured money into mine and I don't regret a single penny. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an RS, or something *worth* spending money on, and I probably could get one sooner if I stop spending money on my 1.2. But I don't mind waiting an extra year or whatever, I love doing bits to my current car! I say its worth it haha, makes me smile when I drive it :)

already got lowering springs. but away to swap them for coilovers as after fitting my 25mm spacer kit my wheels are rubbing when going over bumps. Also got brand new tyres on order to go on a set of rare dbv alloys. so hopefully all this will be fitted soon :)