ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are peoples experiences with sports cats on 1.2 16v?

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
Hi all ,

Been having some ideas about chucking a sports cat on the 1.2 purely to add a bit of sound without just taking off the backbox and maybe even helping with the cat smell ( every so often it will do as a garage has called it a "cat clean" where it will smell and clear itself out?) The car does do slight pop and bangs with no map and no engine mods ( not even a hot air induction kit wow!). Just wondering if anyone else has had experiences with them. It would be done by a reputable company so it should be MOT compliant.

Thanks in advance

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don't bother.

Also you wanna figure out why your otherwise standard car is popping and banging, that's a problem.

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
Don't bother.

Also you wanna figure out why your otherwise standard car is popping and banging, that's a problem.
The car when I bought it with a stock exhaust would smell of fuel after a drive, with an exhaust it does very light pops if quickly let off the accelerator or generally at lower rpms. It's been doing this for the past 10k miles I've put on it and never had a single problem or hiccup with it so I can imagine it's just down to the "tuning" they put on them stock

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
60K in mine and never a single pop or bang, might be worth fixing it before f*cking with it

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
My old 1.2 16v mk2 ph2 definitely didn't pop or bang. Sounds like it's running rich, get that sorted first and foremost.
After that, if you're desperate for more noise, I'd have an exhaust place get rid of the resonator (pretty sure my old 1.2 had one, but not 100%, it was a while ago now), not sure they're particularly sweet sounding engines mind.

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
60K in mine and never a single pop or bang, might be worth fixing it before f*cking with it
From what i can gather i have no evidence to say anything is wrong , its faily recently had new coil and spark plugs and i dont even have problems with ridiculous fuel usage as on a long journey i still get 40+ mpg , none of the garages have found a problem even with the modified exhaust in mind. Only conclusion i could come to is a previous owner has had it mapped ( its has 7 previous owners)

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
My old 1.2 16v mk2 ph2 definitely didn't pop or bang. Sounds like it's running rich, get that sorted first and foremost.
After that, if you're desperate for more noise, I'd have an exhaust place get rid of the resonator (pretty sure my old 1.2 had one, but not 100%, it was a while ago now), not sure they're particularly sweet sounding engines mind.
These arent strong pops and bangs only very slight but audible if close and i havent had any smoke to indicate it running rich or enough to indicate , anything apart from a map that could affect it?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you're having to put cat clean in, and it stinks, you're probably over fuelling. Which would give you those pops and s**t.

Have you checked to see what the original catalyst is worth? The ones on the 172 are worth stupid money.

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
If you're having to put cat clean in, and it stinks, you're probably over fuelling. Which would give you those pops and s**t.

Have you checked to see what the original catalyst is worth? The ones on the 172 are worth stupid money.
It only smells when it does a "cat clean" but ive never had to use any cat cleaner , i dont think the cat would be worth any more than £20 considering its only a 1.2

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
What the hell is a cat clean?

I think someone has been telling you porkies.
Honestly when the garage said it i thought exactly the same thing but i couldnt really explain what it does any other way as its completely random with no pattern whatsoever and only occurs for a short moment . Can happen while driving and it smells for maybe a second or two and then is completely fine for several days and could then smell once ive for example driven to work and stopped but i cant create a pattern or a specific circumstance to make it happen

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What the hell is a cat clean?

I think someone has been telling you porkies.

200.gif

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It won't sound any different with a sports cat, as it's still got a cat to go thru! It will likely then be a nightmare to get thru an MOT

It won't be doing a "car clean" what ever that is, it's probably running rich and not doing the cat any favours, hence the eggy smell!

MAXRUNDOWN

ClioSport Club Member
There's no such thing as a 'cat clean', it's not like a DPF that has a regen cycle.

It's a 1.2 Clio, don't waste a penny on it, save up for a 172/182 if you want to stay in a Clio.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
There's no such thing as a 'cat clean', it's not like a DPF that has a regen cycle.

It's a 1.2 Clio, don't waste a penny on it, save up for a 172/182 if you want to stay in a Clio.
lots of cheap fun to be had in a non RS, just not worth throwing money at something that isn't the problem.