ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrades For CUP

Im waiting for the reno mods at the moment, i dont know if i really want to void my warranty or not?? Floyd wa quoting 20bhp for the ECU, seems a little high?

S2000

Ive spoken to Floyd about this and he says thats what he was told but he found it made no difference???

Oh right, last time i spoke to him he had only just fitted and was undecided, although he did day that it improve the low end punch

Ill see if hes around tomorrow and give you an update on his experience with the ecu so far.

Im tired... time for sleep.

CTR EK9 turbo

That ECU sounds very much like what i have sitting in my cuboard at home for sale........

Its a Group N ECU just exactly as what you describe. Raises the rev limit to 7800 rpm (displayed on the rev counter anyway) and the car DRINKS fuel when I was running it. Cant afford a car that urinates fuel away when im not wanting to thrash it. Its juicy enough as it is. Its basically an uneconomical programed-varient of the standard ECU. Stops the economicalness of the standard ECU by not cutting fuelling for MPG and it makes the throttle response better and midrange a little more urgent. Definately needs an exhaust to go with it (group N exhaust probably!). Its designed to go with the exhaust. I cant see this Group N ECU that is coming out for the CUP being available before the group N exhaust..

Well, if any mk.1 172 owners want one of these ECUs I have one for sale still as i desperately need the ££££ and i know for a fact that it works/is compatible. Might be able to sort out a good price. I paid £350 for it including fitting. Seeing as not many people have expressed interest il be willing to lower the price quite a bit.

The one that R-Sport is producing is specifically set up for the CUP which has a different ECU to start with - so do u think it will work with the 172 MK1 (definately not) or the MK2? Maybe but thats like me sticking a 16V ecu into my Mk2 1600 16V or a cup ecu into my 1600 - aint gonna work is it! Or sticking a cossie ecu into an RS2000! Come on guys think!

Clio v6

Ask your local parts dept if the CUP ECU is different they will at least tell you it has a different part number. Better to ask higher up to get spec differences. After all just one example is a Jaguar brake pedal switch is a different part no to a Mini one, but they are exactly the same thing etc.

I would expect the CUP ECU would be totally different, as the CUP is a SuperHatch in a completely different league to an average run of the mill, warm but comfy hatchback town car Clio 172 .

Well I dont remember seeing anything in the Renault brochures/press releases/mags etc that the Cup has a different ECU. From what Ive read its basically a stripped 172 with lower and wider track due to new wheels with wider offsets and thinner glass.

Dash - theyre not as different as you think and ive driven both at brands hatch on the same day, 172s better as its more tailhappy and ultimately more adjustable, but the cup is gorgeous..

I agree with JonC, from what ive read there is no differences engine wise

Phone R-Sport lads and stop arguing about something u dont really have the answer too ! Theyll tell u everything you need to know!

Heres the number 02085407366 ;)

Dash - why have y said "sadly not a cup" in your profile - thought u had a V6 - Ill swap if u like!!

IThe Cup does have a re-mapped ECU.

But back to the main point the R-Sport version is a different ECU, not a re-map so in theory it could of course go on a standard 172 but if Renault will approve it as such is another matter!

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 22 January 2003

Dash - why have y said "sadly not a cup" in your profile - thought u had a V6 - Ill swap if u like!!
Because I think the CUP is a nice colour.

Most boyracers dont even bother trying it on at the lights, but I feel if I had a CUP, then I might get all that "Ive got a sporty wee car" nonsence again.

I even hinted to my wife that I might consider spending a few bob and getting a CUP aswell, just for the colder days. ( I need aircon badly ) but it would be a waste just to have it in the drive all summer ( no more room ). A nippy wee car should be blatted about every spare minute, and enjoyed to its fullest extent.

I guess Im just going to search about for a Mk1 V6 in Illiad Blue.

So where have you all read/who has told you that the 172 and Cup have different ECUs, or are we all speculating again?!?

The reno bod I spoke to yesterday claims the ecu is the same as the 172. They have the same part number. Part of the gearbox and exhaust it supposed to be different between Cup and 172.

Yeah like a renault dealers gonna know his left from his right! Went for a look at the showroom cup when it came in to the dealers in July and noone knew what or were it was - it was flippin parked around the back with the other 1200s !!!! DOH so I wouldnt count on anything a renault dealer has to say about anything over a 1600 cc

The guy I spoke to is very clued up on the Cup as he is the one testing the new ecu with r-sport and talking to reno about approval under warranty.

Anyway who cares, in a month or two we may be all running around in warranty friendly mods from r-sport.

Well there you go, it should make a good alternative to Superchip for 172s and Cups depending on the price.;)