ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading 172 speakers

Black 172 MK2

hi all, iv got a Mk2 clio Phase 2 172 and im looking at upgradign the speakers. Is it worth it? what sizze are they and what would people recommed for the replacement. I was thinking of resonably priced speakers maybe £80-£100 top wack for a pair. Oh and how do you get to the speakers??

cheers all

brad

they are 13cm speakers

i recommend alpine speakers, the standard ones are made from paper and blow very easily.

to get to them... just pull the cheaply made, flimsy, bendy, rattly covers off. They are held on with clips that just pop out.

Then a few torx screws stand in your way.

You will need to cut the Reno connections off the wires and replace with spade connectors.

easy peasy. :)

Clio 172mk2

i got same clio first thing i did was put me old speakers that i had spare init .

1 front was ripped, put 130watt kenwoods in , gettin alpines next

removed rears, and put some 6x9s in parcel shelf , sounds alot better

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Id first recommend upgrading the Headunit before you spend money on speakers as, the power output on the std unit is quite poor.

Quote: Originally posted by msa182 on 13 August 2005

Id first recommend upgrading the Headunit before you spend money on speakers as, the power output on the std unit is quite poor.
the weakest link in the audio system is the speakers.

the head unit isnt really that bad tbh.

^^^ As said above - I changed both at same time. Although I have heard far worse standard HUs so maybe try speakers first, IMO.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

my standard speakers were impressive for standard kit once the head unit has been changed. the renault HU has a crap power output. change the head unit then the speakers or both if you can afford to!

Hi Guys,

If we change the headunit we will lose the steering wheel remote control, track/rasio station display and also the 6 cd stacker? Am i right to say this?

Also are the rear speakers 6X9? I.e if i got 6x9 speakers they would fit straight in or do i need to cut a bigger hole etc?

Cheers,

Kenn.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI

Quote: Originally posted by k3nnis on 14 August 2005

Hi Guys,

If we change the headunit we will lose the steering wheel remote control, track/rasio station display and also the 6 cd stacker? Am i right to say this?

Also are the rear speakers 6X9? I.e if i got 6x9 speakers they would fit straight in or do i need to cut a bigger hole etc?

Cheers,

Kenn.
You will lose your remote (although you can get an adapter for some aftermarket headunits) and your display will only show the time. Your CD changer is only compatible with the Renault headunit even though it will probably be branded with the Alpine logo. The rear speakers are 13cm like the fronts and to get 6x9s to fit you would need to do a considerable amount of work. A better option would be to mount them on an acoustic parcel shelf and run them off an amp. Hope this helps!

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the standard renault HU has an output for an amp?

By the way on the dash, on the far left and far right corners it has 2 small speakers, are these speakers or tweeters?

Cheers,

Kenn.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI

Quote: Originally posted by k3nnis on 14 August 2005

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the standard renault HU has an output for an amp?

By the way on the dash, on the far left and far right corners it has 2 small speakers, are these speakers or tweeters?

Cheers,

Kenn.
There is no provision for an amplifier on the Renault headunit - it will have to be an aftermarket one for that, however you can pick up headunits with pre-outs for an amp quite cheaply so it should not be too expensive to replace. The speakers on the dash are tweeters but to replace them i think you have to take the top of the dash off to gain access to them.

Thanks Nick for the info. I think i will just replace the speakers first, the rear ones especially. I will only get a HU if there are adaptors for it to work with the dash display and also the stalk.

Do you know which head units will be compatible with these adaptors?

Cheers,

Kenn.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI

I would imagine most of the popular manufacturers do adapters for the Renault remote but you will find that the display will still not show all the information you get with the standard headunit. I have changed my headunit to an Alpine one and although i could get an adapter for the remote i have not bothered and i dont really miss it or the display (which now just has the time on it). I think the adapters are quite expensive for what they are too and i would rather put the money towards getting a higher quality headunit really.

Hi Nick,

I see, i wonder how much these adaptors cost? By the way which alpine head unit are you using?

Cheers,
Kenn.

Ziel Nurburgring

For good sound quality:

Replace the HU and get an adapter for the stalk. Most will still display track numbers but if you get an MP3 player, they wont all display track name and artist etc (its a bit hit and miss, some do some don t on the renault display).

Replace the front std speakers for aftermarket component jobbies and rewire the cabling. Be prepared for a tough job, its a doors off job to drill through the bodywork to feed in the new cable to the door.

Dont bother with 6x9s, get a compact powered sub like a Macaudio 220. Good setup and enough bass for you and passengers without rattling the shopwindows as you drive past or being heard by pedestrians.

Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone here have adaptors for a pioneer HU that works 100% with the stalk and dash display? If yes which head unit from pioneer and adaptor?:)

Cheers,

Kenn.