ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading to ICE

I have an 02 plate dynamique and was looking to have a decent looking and sounding system. Can anyone recommend what I need? I have £500 to spend. I like the idea of the steering mounted contols i got at the mo but the sound is S**T.

Firstly, upgrade your headunit, a decent one can be had for around £150 ish.

Then upgrade your front door speakers to some good components, these range in price from 50 to 1000 quid for the pair!

Then, get a sub in the boot, size will be dependent on what music you like and the sound you want.

Then you will have to amp the fronts and the sub, a nice 4ch should do this if you havent gone silly with the sub (which I did, lol)

You will need to soundproof certain places (door panels, boot lid etc at least otherwise it will sound awful)

You can get adaptors to allow the steering wheel controls to work with the headunit, from Halfords they are about £50.

£500 isnt an awful lot for audio stuff, it can be done but also look at second hand stuff too.

hth

If i had £500 id get a new HU (although i like the stock look), new front components, steering wheel adapter, possibly get some dynamat speaker baffle soundproof stuff, then an amp for the components.

If you want a sub then youd either be able to get one with that stuff but itll all be of lesser quality or you could get this stuff and then get the sub later and run it with a Class D amp. Thatll give you a much better sound than bridging two channels of a 4-channel amp.

Dont mean to sound like a tappin, but ive got 2 subs and and a amp for sale! Boxed and unused. Great for a irst time icer!

Golf GTD

Quote: Originally posted by gecko on 23 February 2005

You will need to soundproof certain places (door panels, boot lid etc at least otherwise it will sound awful)
How would you sound proof the boot lid?

ST

Quote: Originally posted by gecko on 23 February 2005

Firstly, upgrade your headunit, a decent one can be had for around £150 ish.

Then upgrade your front door speakers to some good components, these range in price from 50 to 1000 quid for the pair!

Then, get a sub in the boot, size will be dependent on what music you like and the sound you want.

Then you will have to amp the fronts and the sub, a nice 4ch should do this if you havent gone silly with the sub (which I did, lol)

You can get adaptors to allow the steering wheel controls to work with the headunit, from Halfords they are about £50.

£500 isnt an awful lot for audio stuff, it can be done but also look at second hand stuff too.

hth

Not really needed in newer cars to be fair....older cars yes because they have less soundproofing as standard.

Im running all this without any soundproofing at all: Alpine 9812RB MP3/CD, MB quart front comps with separate crossovers with titianium tweeters in the dash, MB quart 6x9s in an "Auto acoustics" steath shelf, MB quart 10" sub in sealed MB quart box all being ran by a Genesis profile 5 amp.

It sounds pretty mint IMO, a few on here have heard it and will probably agree with me.

My boot, not a good pic but best ive got at the mo:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1083087262__Picture018.jpg

I am having new system fitted jvc head unit £250 pheonix gold components front and back and also 6x9 on a custom built acoustic shelf.....should be ok for the mo then i will upgrade to amp and subs when i get the cash.

maybe my clio is not as well put together as other peoples, as even with non amped door speakers on loud, they door pannels rattle too much for my liking....

My boot lid rattle like hell with a 12" sub in my Mk1. Ive sound proofed the boot and the doors though so they are fine, sound mint.

yeah i have two vibe subs with amps and they rattle the sh*t out of my car, im gonna need to get some sound proofing