ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrading xenons

Audi TT 3.2
if you have standard 172/182 xenon headlights, is it possible to upgrade the bulbs ballast and starter packs with say 6k set?

so you would discard the standard ballast bulbs and packs?

is this just a case of swaping the bulbs and ballast over?

cheers george

Da

Less
You just need to swap the lamp, no need to alter the ballast.

The 6000K rating is a colour guide, it's the temperature the gas discharges at.

Audi TT 3.2
yeh but if i only had the bare headlight unit to start with, could i not just buy a hid kit which havethe ballasts and bulbs in them? or would i still need the renault clio ballasts and packs?

george

Da

Less
Well the ballast bolts to the bottom of the headlight and the starter attaches to the xenon discharge lamp, so if you wanted to keep it OE you'd need Renault gear.

Audi TT 3.2
ok thanks alot mate for your quick reply!

i think ill try and get hold of the whole lot, sound easier!

what sould i be looking atpaying for a second hand set?

Da

Less
A complete brand new unit can be had for ~£150, so secondhand probably no more than £100 tops.

Personally I'd buy new as you never know with S/H electrical items.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Are you wanting these so you can put them on your cup ?

Cos if so, bare in mind the you need washer jets by law. Thanks, Sam!

Audi TT 3.2
Right im still confussed about this,

if i was to get hold of just the headlights from a fullfat 182, with no bulbs or ballasts or starter packs, could i use a hid kit insted of the standard xenon bulbs ballast and starter pack.

and also whats size are the bulbs for the fullfat 182 xenons are they the same as the cup ones?

has anyone got a picture of a fullfat xenon from the back?

cheers
george

clio 200 /08 subaru
Are you wanting these so you can put them on your cup ?

Cos if so, bare in mind the you need washer jets by law. Thanks, Sam!

by law you should have self leveling lamps and headlamp washers if Zenon are factory fitted /// its a grey area as far as the construction and use regs are concerend.
but mot pass them as long as they give the correct patern .
remember thar you car will have manual level in the lamps so they can be adjusted
i am just about to fit hid to my new rs 200 clio
geo

Xenon.

George, best bet is to buy a set of xenon head lamps from either a scrap yard, ebay, or on here. They will come with everything you need (bulb, ballast, starter packs) and are plug and play. My old 1.2 had xenons, paid £300 from ebay for a set. Bumper off, old ones out, new ones on and plugged in, Done.

Audi TT 3.2
Xenon.

George, best bet is to buy a set of xenon head lamps from either a scrap yard, ebay, or on here. They will come with everything you need (bulb, ballast, starter packs) and are plug and play. My old 1.2 had xenons, paid £300 from ebay for a set. Bumper off, old ones out, new ones on and plugged in, Done.

i know what you saying, its just ive been offered just the headlights no bulbs ballast or starterpacks.

so could i not juts buy a kit like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIM-HID-Xeno...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2c51ff727d

which can be had in a D2S form and use that insted of the oe bulb ballats and starter pack? and the 6k insted of the oe 4.3k

cheers george

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
if you have the lamps a h7 kit would work i reakon, just need to sort the wiring

Why bother to purchase the headlamps? The kit would work with your standard lights as well. Save on the necessary expenditure.

Charged Superleggera
save yourself the hassle mate and just get some xenons preferably from a 172 as they have the black surround rather than the grey one that came with 182's

DMS

A thirsty 172
I think they're 4300k from memory because I was looking at upgrading to a 6000k set myself, then decided I couldn't be arsed.

4300K. Remember if you buy an HID kit and stick it into the Xenon headlamps you may have to do a bit of cutting and stuff with wires, as the way the bulb connects in the xenons is different to how they connect in the halogens.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
IIRC don't you have to have the Xenon 'Projector' style headlamps legally to fit a HID kit anyway?
im sure i remember something like that. It would fail the MOT without the Xenon headlamps?

may just be me remembering utter rubbish.

Audi TT 3.2
yeh i wanted to buy 172/182 xenons as they look alot better, ive sourced some xenons headlamps but no bulbs ballast ect. so i was going to save my self some money and buy a hid kit so they will be brighter but still have the xenons headlamps/ projector style lamps.

the hid kit is d2s bulb same as the oe xenons on a clio sport so should be a straight fit?

george

the hid kit is d2s bulb same as the oe xenons on a clio sport so should be a straight fit?

Like I said, I'm pretty sure you'll have to cut wires because they connect differently to halogen headlights which HID kits are designed for.

Audi TT 3.2
which wire do you think i will have to cut, as the hid kit gets its power from the origanal sorce to the headlight so should be just plug and play?

Yes that's what I'm thinking about. It's simple on the halogen headlights but on the Xenons the starter pack sits on the back of the bulb and then you plug a wire into the back of that. I'm thinking you'll need to cut the end of that wire and put some spade connectors on the end or something similiar. I'm no sparky though so I can't tell you whether that would work or not.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
IIRC don't you have to have the Xenon 'Projector' style headlamps legally to fit a HID kit anyway?
im sure i remember something like that. It would fail the MOT without the Xenon headlamps?

may just be me remembering utter rubbish.

Nope. Loads of cars have non-projector xenons. Accord Type R, E Class, Volvo's etc.

Audi TT 3.2
well when i get the lights i shall let you know how i get on!

JCC- the headlight i have dont have the bulbs or starter packs on them just bare units so i will be putting a fresh bulb in them from the hid kit so i wont have a starter pack on at all!

Yes I know lol It's hard to explain without pics, even without the ballasts and starters in the way, the original power source is still a bit different to halogens so it makes it a bit more difficult.

Audi TT 3.2
i kind of understand! lol! will the bulb that comes with the d2s hid kit fit in the xenon headlight?

if it does i should be alright, even if it does involve a bit of cutting

Polo + Micra
you might have to contact the company and ask them to ship a unit that had a h7 input but a d2s lamp

Audi TT 3.2
yeh i have contacted the company and they say they have them instock so i shall give it ago!