ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated engine and rebuild help

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi,
First i wish you a Happy new year and hope that all of you got a lovely holiday.

I own a clio since 2016. "Was" a stock Clio, but love the car so much. I always work on cars with my uncle since I was 14 or 10 years ago. I want to make my car as good as I and travel in all places with "her". At this stage I replace almost everything that shows sign of wear. I also bought a gearbox from @NorthloopCup. (you are the man!)
Now I want to buid an engine for my clio that will produce around 200hp.
I will get a used 182 engine, if someone got a good mileage one, please pm.
I want to fully rebuild the engine and add some uprated parts.
Could someone help me with some recommandations? I hear about ARP rods, Catcams cams, springs, rs inlet...
What I've read so far and possible choose already are the 421 cams. The inlet will be a custom rs2 style, i've seen some homemade and have access to CNC milling machine.
And regarding the pistons, for 200hp do i need a little higher CR? Like 11.8:1?
I did not find any part number for oem ones (i want to also replace them as an almost fully rebuild engine)
If someone got the part number for the oem parts needed for rebuild the engine, like bearings, gaskets, please provide me, I really did not find all of them.

Sorry for all the questions, maybe some are stupid ones, but I need some help here.

Thanks,
Radu

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Thank you for the reply. Do I need new pistons for rebuild? Or just new piston rings and maybe a fine honing.

dan's cast offs.
depends on the mileage/condition of your engine you are starting with, leakdown test will give you an idea on what it's like but i doubt you'd need to go swapping anything over unless you wanted to.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I own a 172 52 reg clio, missed that. And the engine I want to buy is a 182 because is newer.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I've took the engine out of my clio yesterday to be more comfortable when I buy the second one. Has anyone the part number for the
OEM Main bearings
OEM big end bearings
OEM valves (or put uprated?)
and seals I need after change the parts. I try an online catalog but without any succes

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I managed to find the OE big end bearings and main bearings. I will get the 438 cams from catcams and also the uprated springs. I will stick to the standard rods and pistons, just new piston rings and honing the block.
But now my attention goes to the upper side, the head.
I will resurface the head myself on a cnc machine, will port the head and maybe a liitle polish. Replace all the seales and valve guides. Genuine guides are very very expensive, I see that pms supply with Feccia ones. Are ok? Does anyone use them?
And regarding the valves, I still did not managed to get the OE part number for them, but read that Supertech are good because are from one piece. But what material should I buy?
I want to build my engine as good as I could, capable of a safe 7800 rpm and doing around 200 with a jsm2 inlet.
Any feedback on them and help for my build would be perfect.

Thanks,
Radu

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
In this case it is fine, not a problem, thank you. Can you help me in terms of valves and guides? If you know where I can find the OE valve part number or just go to uprated ones.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I would like to stick with the OE parts, does anyone know if 7701472823 is the right part number for oe STD piston rings?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Beside the higher idle, there is no drawback using the 421 cams on standard ecu? I will use the engine with an rs2 or jms inlet.

Last edited:

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
How did you go in the end?
Because in Romania was hard to find someone than can map 421 cams, I end up using a 197 inlet, 197 cams and arps. With fully rebuild engine. The head was modified to accept 197 inlet. I around a week the assembly will be done.

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Because in Romania was hard to find someone than can map 421 cams, I end up using a 197 inlet, 197 cams and arps. With fully rebuild engine. The head was modified to accept 197 inlet. I around a week the assembly will be done.
it will be much better to use 197 head with 197 piston's and cams..
all along alot less work, and the 197 head is far superior then the 172.
food for thought I guess

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
it will be much better to use 197 head with 197 piston's and cams..
all along alot less work, and the 197 head is far superior then the 172.
food for thought I guess
But you need to sort the dephaser problem, you have to use 197 dephaser so need variable signal from the ecu. And the 172 ecu does not have this, only on/off. Also need to drill new holes there. I stick with modified 182 head due to costs.

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Working with 172 dephaser perfect..
Need to drill one hole, very easy job.

Attachments

• IMG_20171130_153905.jpg
    IMG_20171130_153905.jpg
    995.5 KB · Views: 72

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
So you can use it with stock ecu and dephaser from 172? Strange, did not know this early:( and my rebuild was done with standard head.

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
well.. you can throw 197 pistons in there and get your cp up to 12.1
with timed up correctly 197 cams. you would be essay pass the 200