ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated Engine/Gearbox mounts

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I need to start thinking about replacing the mounts on my 182. I only bought the car last month, so i don't know how old the mounts are, but there is more movement than i'd like and the engine mount looks fairly worn.

Now the car's got a RS2 installed, but has had the bonnet catch modified to allow genuine Renault mounts to be installed.

I'd quite like to go down the route of uprated mounts, but am worried about the added vibration. Seems lots of people fit uprated mounts and then remove them after a few weeks and go back to standard. I don't mind a little more vibration, but I don't really want excessive vibration, as the car is used daily.

Whats the best setup to stiffen things up, without adding too much discomfort?

I assume powerflex dogbone and just oem engine and gearbox mounts is the safest bet.

What about the powerflex engine bush? would with work with an oem gearbox mount, or would i need to uprate that too to balance things out?

Mec 350 slk manual
I need to start thinking about replacing the mounts on my 182. I only bought the car last month, so i don't know how old the mounts are, but there is more movement than i'd like and the engine mount looks fairly worn.

Now the car's got a RS2 installed, but has had the bonnet catch modified to allow genuine Renault mounts to be installed.

I'd quite like to go down the route of uprated mounts, but am worried about the added vibration. Seems lots of people fit uprated mounts and then remove them after a few weeks and go back to standard. I don't mind a little more vibration, but I don't really want excessive vibration, as the car is used daily.

Whats the best setup to stiffen things up, without adding too much discomfort?

I assume powerflex dogbone and just oem engine and gearbox mounts is the safest bet.

What about the powerflex engine bush? would with work with an oem gearbox mount, or would i need to uprate that too to balance things out?
Change all 3 powerflex dog bone and vibra tec engine and gearbox mounts

dan's cast offs.
new standard mounts, powerflex dog bone and powerflex insert for the upper engine mount. febi mounts are fine and lot cheaper than renault.
done this for loads of people and no one complained about extra vibration.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
That's the kind of setup I was considering to be honest. Didn't want anything too hardcore.

What kind of price are the Febi mounts? Got a link?
Thanks

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Ignore anyone that says replace with standard new engine mounts. OEM/Pattern/dogbone are all a sack of s**t.

Do it properly, get Vibratechnics mounts.

By far and away the best thing I did to my Cup.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
What uprated mounts do you have? And how much more vibration is there.

I have the vibratechnics ones, along with the Evol dogbone which has black series in it.

Essentially I have the stiffest set up you can get (apart from the PURE set up but that is proper race stuff)

Vibrations aren't even bad at all. I genuinely don't see what people go on about on here, @DaveDreads will also confirm it's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

I haven't had a single person complain about how noisy or rough my car feels whilst driving and idling. That includes girlfriend and Mum who would be the first to notice.

As adam says, do it properly. I do not rate the engine insert mount - to me that is just masking an issue and not fixing it properly like the vibratechnics do.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have the crap aftermarket mounts with an evol gearbox mount. For me I'd do it again. If I was to hardcore hero racing driver then yeah I'd spend x3/4 times as much on others.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I've never ever used Tapatalk !

I was taking the piss, but meant the 'Cliosport Club Member' bit, itty bitty DB change there. :D

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Ordered Febi Engine and gearbox mounts of eBay last night, total cost of £37. Then ordered the Powerflex dogbone and top mount inserts.

I figured if there is too much vibration, I can always remove the top mount bush.

Read something on how to setup the mounts to reduce vibration (or correctly install them), loosen the engine mount bolts and let the car idle for a bit. Is this the best way and will there be much movement? I assume the gearbox and dogbone mounts need to stay tightened up.

Vioar

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio RS 182
I have powerflex yelow insert for upper suport and evol dog bone street and a normal one for gearbox.
In first week i say that is to much vibrations but after some sport driving and CSF at Blyton is more quiet now.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I have the vibratechnics ones, along with the Evol dogbone which has black series in it.

Essentially I have the stiffest set up you can get (apart from the PURE set up but that is proper race stuff)

Vibrations aren't even bad at all. I genuinely don't see what people go on about on here, @DaveDreads will also confirm it's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

I haven't had a single person complain about how noisy or rough my car feels whilst driving and idling. That includes girlfriend and Mum who would be the first to notice.

As adam says, do it properly. I do not rate the engine insert mount - to me that is just masking an issue and not fixing it properly like the vibratechnics do.
Sorry my tags are turned off.

But yes, the vibrations are minimal on mine and I have everything polybushed along with the Vibratechnics mounts, interior panels can rattle a bit a certain revs/frequencies, but that's probably just my car as I have no back seats and all the interior panels have been removed and refitted so many times they're never going to sit right.

One of the best thing I did my car was reduce drivetrain movement, it makes for much better power delivery onto the road.

RB Clio 182
I also have vibra engine and gbox mounts and a powerflex doggy, tbh i felt no extra vibro's at all, the car felt a lot better the first few drives(got used to it now) around twisty bends too as the engine wasnt rocking and pulling the car allover lol.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So I've got the powerflex stuff from KAM racing last week, upper engine mount came on friday too, just waiting on the gearbox mount, which will hopefully be here today.

To fit the engine mount bush, i need to remove the inner part of the mount. I seem to remember these being separate on my last set, and the instructions suggest the same, however the Febi mount is joined. Looks like it might just be the rubber thats been suck to it and joined them together, I assume i just need to run a stanley knife or something along the joint to separate them?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Fitted these yesterday, engine bearly moves now, little bit of give on the gearbox side (as expected really). Definitely stiffened things up quite a lot, and it feels stiffer when driving.

I am pretty surprised that there is next to no added vibration, 40mph in 5th for example is like driving a standard car still.

I had the Evol dogbone mount for a week or so on my last 182, and it was so bad i ended up taking it off and installing a new Renault dogbone. So on starting the car for the first time i was expecting something similar to that in terms of vibration.

Definitely happy with this setup, Don't see the point in going any further with solid mounts, but will see how long the gearbox mount holds up with that being stardard still.

I also forgot how much of a pain the top gearbox mount is.....The bolts falling out the bottom. I've got pretty big hands so it was a nightmare getting them back in.