ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ups

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
I have a customer that has power/electrical problems in his shop in that the trip sometimes goes. This has caused his PC to crash a number of times resulting in it bolloxing XP.

Would an UPS solve this problem meaning he would have enough time to shut down the PC when the power goes?

yeh, a small UPS would do it - we use them at work as a standby for the railway signalling system (650v) for 30 mins, and then have a generator to take over.

but he would be better off solving the problem with the trip - could be that he needs a new breaker, or one with a different rating, eg a motor rated one.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
3000GT_PILOT said:
yeh, a small UPS would do it - we use them at work as a standby for the railway signalling system (650v) for 30 mins, and then have a generator to take over.

but he would be better off solving the problem with the trip - could be that he needs a new breaker, or one with a different rating, eg a motor rated one.

Its a problem with the overall complex that he is renting the shop from. The power sometimes goes for some reason throwing his trips. At least this will give him some degree of stability.

JoelDee said:
Yes mate, a ups will give you about 40-45 mins time once the power as gone
WTF? You can't generalise like that when you have no idea of what is being run off it or what the rating of the UPS is. :nono:

The correct rated UPS will help but ideally as mentioned he should also look into what's causing the power to trip.

as the shop is being rented, i would get onto the agent or the power company and asked for it to be checked out properly and solved - if its messing up his PC, it could be costing him customers. if the shop was advertised to be let with power, then the supply should be stable within reason. i would be looking for a reduction in rent or compensation if the fault cannot be sorted.

if the power is going off for long periods, he may want to look at a small domestic generator to back up a UPS system.

Revels Mum & Sister
If he is just going to run the Monitor and PC of it then Belkin do some compact ones. I believe they also come with Software as well which will initiate a shutdown if he isnt arounf

Lee

BMW M2C
Rasclart said:
If he is just going to run the Monitor and PC of it then Belkin do some compact ones. I believe they also come with Software as well which will initiate a shutdown if he isnt arounf

You can get them for £50. Ideal for a single PC and monitor.

And won't weigh ten ton like the APC 2200s we use on the servers.