ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT: 1.2 Engine Temperature Problem

Monaco 172
Was driving home this morning when the engine temperature was then hovering just above the mid point (I'm fairly concious of the engine temperature as it went through a phase of suddenly dropping).

After 5 minutes of that it then started to shoot up just before I got home with warning lights going mad. Under the bonnet the water level was now well above maximum when I had to fill it up the morning before as it as just at Min.

Any suggested solutions to this problem as I would like to get it sorted as quickly as possible

Monaco 172
UPDATE: Radiator seems to be cold and after squeezing the pipes the overflow was filled with a horrible murky liquid.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Waterpump failing/failed or a blockage - radiator and anti-freeze okay?

Monaco 172
Topped up the antifreeze yesterday. Gave the pipes a bit of a squeeze and I think that may have solved it as it is behaving normally now. Warming up to mid / taking a drop when stat opens / then rising to mid and staying there. Maybe there was a bit of a blockage or stat was sticking?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What anti-freeze/mix are you running? Type-D spec which is required for most current models is down to -23 degrees so if you've got a weak mix in it could have started to freeze.

Monaco 172
If I'm honest I don't know the mix I'm using. Would you recommend doing a flush and replacing with the correct fluid?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Don't forget to flush the head, heater matrix and the radiator seperately in both directions (Flows and returns). If you're not buying your coolant pre-mixed from Renault then it would be worth buying yourself a basic anti-freeze tester to. They're only around £10-12 from an autofactors but are well worth the cash if you DIY service your motor regularly. Finally, use an Ethelyne Glycol based coolant... a diluted mix to protect to around -23 degree's is about perfect and colour is un-important though I use red when not using genuine "Type-D" from the parts dept.

Tip: Remember to check the stat opens/closes properly first in a pan of boiling water before fitting it as faulty stats are common.

Ive noticed mine will goto mid and then drop ever so slightly recently and then raise when i give it some beans. Sorry i cant be any help but thought id share!