ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent Help Needed, Car wont go!!!!!

2003 Clio 2.0L 16v
Hello all. Dont know what I wouldve done without this wonderful community :)
Anyway, my 2003 Clio 172 just "died".
I knew the clutch was on its way out, and during some heavy driving the other day there was a burnt smell, but the car went fine. Today (41degC outside) I came back from restuerant and a few meters from my home the car lowered the revs, then shut down my throttle then shut down the car. The service light doesnt go on. Only the battery and the STOP light. Feels like the clutch isnt engaging the gears but no burning smell. After the car shuts down I can turn it on if I wait like 30 seconds, then I can rev it but like 3-5 seconds later again throttle shuts down and car turns off. Had to park the car like 100 meters from the house and come here.
I know the clutch is on its way out (or perhaps now it is dead completly), but is this normal behaviour when the clutch goes? Or is it from something else?
Thanks!

Wouldnt say its the clutch something electrical or mechanical! Check the sensors wiring. I had a similar issue which was a loose earth check the TDC too!

It was just a general point. for me it was a loose earth. Although I wonder why the battery light is on?? Odd if it has charge in it it would ussualy mean duff alt or batt. Might be worth checking the voltages on/off etc.. Dunno its a trial and error jobby really

Fair point that, battery and stop light would suggest to me alternator.

I would just check all the sensors -get it plugged in ideally.
Then replace all the leads and coilpack if you have too.

2003 Clio 2.0L 16v
Since I dont have a code reader of any sort im gonna have to take the car to renault I guess. Gonna go now and look at all the wirings and see whats up, if I cant sort ill tow it tomorow to renault

2003 Clio 2.0L 16v
UPDATE :
7 Hours after the incident I went to the car to take a look under the hood.
I tried to start the car and it started fine, no STOP light and all is fine. I revd it up to 5500rpm and it took it without any problems.
When I started to drive it to park it next to my house I engaged the first gear and launched off. There was a feel in the clutch pedal like some sort of spring being released or broken then it drove fine. Perhaps it got too hot, after all today was very hot....
What do you guys think? Couldnt check the coolant level since its dark allready, will do it tomorow. But I dont think that the temp gauge showed abnormal temps. What I do ditnctly remember is that when I opened the hood right after the car shut down there was a lot of heat emnating from the engine.

When I popped the hood it sounds like maybeeeeee there is alternator problem. There is a rattling sound of a chain. Cant really recall what was the sound before, and the new sound isnt very loud. I will put it on youtube so ppl can give me feedback.
Thanks

Last edited:
  Clio V6 230 Phase 1
Could be the throttle sensor if its the same set up as a vw, starts and runs fine then goes into low revs and wont go any faster than 20mph.