ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT HELP NEEDED - DRUM SEASED

my rear drum has seased, i drove the car this morning bout 11 am came bk parked as normal , went to go out in it at about 3.30 and it wont budge, it will drive foward slightly but you can still feel it stuck on , trying to reverse it wont move unless i really push it hard as if i was trying to rverse uphill, and it creaks something cronic , help urgently needed please call me on 07734106026

hmmm short post, but if youre trying to take it off but cant, hit it harder with a bigger hammer....

If you just have a seized drum on ya car have you tried rolling it backwards? as they normally will unbind if rolled/driving backwards slightly.

[Edited by Roamer on 7/24/2005 4:35:37 PM]

LoL ok now youve put a full post up hehehe erm.... hmmm id guess youve gotta take it apart and see what the problem is...... snapped spring perhaps?

nope i have tried the lastbit roamer and it wont budge and its only on one side the passenger rear drum is fine

thats the other thing i would usually ask my dad to help me with this sorta thing as i am not to sure having never done this before, but he went to the south of france yesterday with the family so i am stuck completly.

Lionel Richie

its very normal, the rear shoes are crap, they "drop" the friction material, which is normally bonded onto the shoe

this falls off and wedges the drum locked

only thing you can do is remove the drums and replace the shoes (dont use renault ones) i paid £24 from my local motor spares place, renault wanted £70

thanks fred , but i dont have the technical know how to do the drums as i have not done any thing to do with them before. im thinking that i will be unable to get the bitstill tommorow any way so the car will be off the road .

Lionel Richie

bugger, a mobile mechanic will sort it (where are you??? as i have a VERY good mechanic in Birmingham)

Quote: Originally posted by cliosport1.216v on 24 July 2005
based in bristol fredwhich spring chris ? spring in the drum for the shoe ?>

Yup, the spring for the shoe mate.

was thinking about having a go tommorow replacing the shoes that is after work with a tork rench and a haynes manual good idea ? or not ?

[Edited by cliosport1.216v on 24 July 2005 at 10:18pm]

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Spring....

When you press the brake pedal, theres a piston in between the two shoes that push them apart onto the wall of the drum.

The spring is there to make sure when you let go of the pedal, the shoes move away from the drum.

Have a look here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake.htmhttp://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake.htm

Particulary the next page http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake1.htmhttp://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake1.htm

The spring can snap and cause the shoes (on the next application of brakes) to lock onto the walls of drum, especially when they wedge in (see the link above) after handbrake has been applied.

Happened to me and I had to get towed back to a garage (towed with rear lifted). Stuck pretty firm, I tried to drive it but it was too loud from grinding and was getting very hot.

Also like someone said, it could have been the friction material of shoe coming off and getting wedged. Happended to my dad on his Fiesta.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Drum brakes are not advised to DIY if youve not done it before.

Can be a bit more complicated than disc brakes.

I once did mine wrong and nearly overshot a junction.

People say the fronts do most of the work but its surprising how much the rears do.

^^ They just put a new spring in and it was fine.

[Edited by Chris1.4RT on 24 July 2005 at 10:23pm]

well i will keep you posted of how i get on and what i decide to do and the outcome etc , any more help etc from any one would br appreciated as i will check the thread often tommorow at work.

many thanks for all your help so far ( everyone )

Justin

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Chris1.4RT, the rear brakes do hardly anything, fact. When you fitted your shoes, im betting you messed up with the adjuster and the pistons had to travel further than they should have had to (due to the spring forcing the pistons back in), this basically means that the more effort it takes to engage the rear brakes, the less effort available for the front brakes (you should be able to get away with pumping the brake in situations like this), seen it before.

cliosport1.216v, no way of telling what drums you have... could be bendix, girling, or bosch. Best way to tell is to open the drum and have a look - should be stamped on the drum itself off the top of my head.

If all else fails, use a puller to remove the drum, you may lose the bearing in the process, but theyre cheap to replace and are the least of your worries, lol.

Quote: Originally posted by cliosport1.216v on 24 July 2005

was thinking about having a go tommorow replacing the shoes that is after work with a tork rench and a haynes manual good idea ? or not ?

[Edited by cliosport1.216v on 24 July 2005 at 10:18pm]
A Torque wrench is for doing up NOT undoing things!