ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent help please. 182 wont start

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
right i have a race in two weeks and the bloody car wont start.
it was fine 2 weeks ago at snett,loaded it up on the trailer and there it has sat since. i went to get it off the trailer today to swap the gearbox but it wont start. if you try to start it it turns over for 3 secs then stops, but if you turn the ignition on and wait 3 secs then try to start it wont turn over.
the red light on the dash stays solid when ignition is on, the key operates the central locking ok.
so far i have tried turning the key while holding the button, car battery iss good, clicking key button then trying.
never had this problem before.
please help.
cheers rob

dan's cast offs.
charge battery, unlock car, ignition on and leave it for at least 30 seconds, ignition off and lock the car. open and see if it clears.

had a couple of 182s do this when battery has been left to go flat or has been disconnected for a while. have heard of a couple where the immobiliser has thrown a wobbler and locked the ecu. if it has chris at efi can clear it for you.

Imoboliser may need resetting. Can't for the life of me remember how you do it. Google it though and it comes up

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Right tried changing key battery and leaving I ignition on but no different.
charge battery, unlock car, ignition on and leave it for at least 30 seconds, ignition off and lock the car. open and see if it clears.

had a couple of 182s do this when battery has been left to go flat or has been disconnected for a while. have heard of a couple where the immobiliser has thrown a wobbler and locked the ecu. if it has chris at efi can clear it for you.
where are efi based. Do you have a number.
Cheers rob

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Rob, that to me sounds like the immobiliser light is on solid (just read it is), few things to check. Make sure the earth on te gearbox is secured properly at both ends.

As the light is solid it means the key is recognised but the immobiliser can't turn off. It's usually a hardware problem.
There is a relay in the engine bay fuse box which controls the immobiliser in the ecu. It's one of the small black or salmon ones depending on the age of your car. If you google it CS tells you which one it is. Swap that relay for the one next to it and try again. Failing that get some spade connectors and hot wire the terminals so it's temporarily hard wired on. If that doesn't solve and all the earths are ok look for broken wire.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Can just about see the relays in the bottom right of this pic
E5C5C298-B669-4D24-BE71-8F4C6AD5503D_zpsuogu3x43.jpg

Another pic from the net. The small black ones.
5E6DF0F1-C145-4B40-84EE-6867780807F7_zpsur1a7c7a.jpg

This is hot wiring of the relays to rule them out. Someone else's pic from a ph1 though so slightly different layout of relays.

091153BF-3C42-4A77-A64F-C3C6DC59B165_zpsbwhtznix.jpg

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
cheers bloke have done.
i have tried swopping relays no different, must be a broken wire.
thanks again for everyones help

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
there must be a break in the circuit for the light to be on solid. It's quite likely to be an earth if you've done the gearbox.

Earth for the decoder ring is on the right top of the dash although this is likely to be working correctly as the key is recognised.
The ECU earth is the one on the back of the gearbox near the starter motor and where the speed sensor would be. Behind the gearbox mount spider.
Check the one on the front gearbox mount too.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
right getting very f##ked off with this now, how can it go from working fine to being dead.
have checked earths and even fitted an extra engine to chasis earth just for the hell of it. no joy.
have checked the purple and white twisted wire from ecu which are good.
all fuses.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Always difficult to diagnose over the net but! I assume you've checked the wires to the ECU whilst the ignition is on incase you're getting voltage drop. I would go through the whole circuit and checking for continuity and also check for the place where the voltage drops.

Did you hard wire the relay in the end? Positive on the starter on correctly? Running dry of ideas here soon!

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just thought i would close this with the solution.
took it to mick at diamond motors, top bloke cant reccomend him enough. after a couple of hours and a bit of head scratching it turned out to be a dead ecu.
new matched set on and its as good as new.
cheers rob